Mapsource Topo - yes/no?

m2fun

Considering Mapsource Topo for my etrex vista. Primary use is hiking, fishing, geocaching, and off-road.

I use MetroGuide in my GPSV but is lacks any detail off the pavement.

Read the pros/cons of topo software, still not certain Mapsource Topo is best for detail, accuracy, and East Coast.

Pros/Cons and alternatives welcome.

Thanks

m2fun. If you're talking about software to load maps into your Vista,you don't have a choice.The only mapping stuff you can load into the Garmins is Mapsource. I use the topo for off road, & it is not the most up to date or have the best detail, but it does the job just fine.

1774_600.jpg

The topo maps seriously lack up-to-date road data. There is a major road near me that has been in place for 10 years that doesn't show on the topo map. But for all around general use the topos are a good deal, at least as far as geocaching is concerned. If you have the Metroguide AND the topos, you've got all you need.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

www.arlut.utexas.edu/~banks/geocache.html

That's 100% correct ... the only game in town ... for downloading into your unit. Just remember it makes good reference in the field ... I use it that way in my unit. But because it is 1:100,000 scale ... it can be misleading. I always use 1:24,000 scale paper print outs of USGS maps for planning and to take with me.

There is a neat feature ... you can load Metro maps for driving ... and a couple of topos for the area you going to "get intimate" with ... when you get to the site ... go to the map set up page and uncheck the metro maps and you've got topos to reference on the screen. Nice to have a lot of memory! icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

That's 100% correct ... the only game in town ... for downloading into your unit. Just remember it makes good reference in the field ... I use it that way in my unit. But because it is 1:100,000 scale ... it can be misleading. I always use 1:24,000 scale paper print outs of USGS maps for planning and to take with me.

There is a neat feature ... you can load Metro maps for driving ... and a couple of topos for the area you going to "get intimate" with ... when you get to the site ... go to the map set up page and uncheck the metro maps and you've got topos to reference on the screen. Nice to have a lot of memory! icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

m2fun, I have to agree with everyone who has posted before me. Mapsource Topo is not the most up-to-date program in the world however, for geocaching it works just fine. Before selling out the big bucks for Topo check Ebay. I got my copy of Topo for 50 bucks from there. The more money you save buying from Ebay the more "accessories" you can get! icon_smile.gif

m2fun, I have to agree with everyone who has posted before me. Mapsource Topo is not the most up-to-date program in the world however, for geocaching it works just fine. Before selling out the big bucks for Topo check Ebay. I got my copy of Topo for 50 bucks from there. The more money you save buying from Ebay the more "accessories" you can get! icon_smile.gif

I bought the Mapsource Topo maps for my GPSV when I first purchased the unit. I was really disappointed. I live in an area with lots of lakes, bogs and marshes so accurate shore lines and water features are important to me. (I hate approaching a cache from the wrong side of a bog).

Unfortunately the mapsource topomaps have been very little help in this regard. many streams and even entire lakes aren't even indicated on the topos.

I have all the MAPSOURCE sets (US) and it seems to be give and take. Each of the sets have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm assuming it's a memory issue -- there's only so much detail they can put on the maps at this point.

Overall, I've found the metroguide maps have much better detail in general. I'm wondering if all the elevation and contour lines on the topo maps resulted in many details being ommitted to save memory. Not sure. All I know is that in general the MetroGuide Maps consistently show streams and shorelines whereas the TOPO maps don't.

I would encourage you to check out the samples of the TOPO maps at Garmin.com before deciding.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/26453_300.jpg