eTrex Vista BETA firmware v2.29b available...

SergZak

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/agree_beta.html

Changes made from versions 2.28 to 2.29b BETA:

Added battery type selector for improved battery reliability.

Added page up and page down capability using zoom in and zoom out on most lists.

Improved success rate for large map transfers.

Improved display of certain points of interest with new City Navigator maps.

Added Jump Master skydiving accessory.

Improved accuracy of WAAS EPE.

Improvements to the calculator's error handling capabilities.

Improvements to map selection of city searches.

General improvements to the Altimeter page.

Improvements to the display airport runways on certain European maps.

Restore defaults on map setup sets map to Land Mode.

Improved translations for most languages.

General improvements to fix various shutdowns.

quote:
Originally posted by fig:

Ok, I am dying to know. What is "Added Jump Master skydiving accessory." Any ideas, and do we think this will be added to the V?

Fig

All I can figure out is that it's used for skydiving and there are quite a few options/settings along with some unknown acronyms like HAHO, HALO, PRP and DIP (sounds like some arcane television settings/features to me icon_biggrin.gif). Since there are no instructions on how to use the thing, I'm not about to take up skydiving to find out/figure it out...and I doubt I will be trying to figure it out by jumping off my second-story roof. icon_eek.gif

As far as adding it to the GPS V, I doubt it since I'm pretty sure it uses the barometric altimeter in some way (which the GPS V doesn't have)

quote:
Originally posted by fig:

Ok, I am dying to know. What is "Added Jump Master skydiving accessory." Any ideas, and do we think this will be added to the V?

Fig

All I can figure out is that it's used for skydiving and there are quite a few options/settings along with some unknown acronyms like HAHO, HALO, PRP and DIP (sounds like some arcane television settings/features to me icon_biggrin.gif). Since there are no instructions on how to use the thing, I'm not about to take up skydiving to find out/figure it out...and I doubt I will be trying to figure it out by jumping off my second-story roof. icon_eek.gif

As far as adding it to the GPS V, I doubt it since I'm pretty sure it uses the barometric altimeter in some way (which the GPS V doesn't have)

I don't skydive either, but I believe the HAHO and HALO acronyms are for High Altitude, High Opening and High Altitude, Low Opening respectively. I think it means they jump from WAAY Up there, and either open high or low. I've heard the military uses Halo because you can't hear the plane overhead but the jumper opens low so there's little drift and/or exposure.

Nothing about correcting the time zone bug. I'll test it and see.

Downloaded my "favorite" testing file to the Vista, after installing 2.29 beta. The time zone immediately screwed up, when I turned GPS on or off. Back to the drawing board for these guys.

Besides, the Jump Master screen is all in English, even with Swedish selected. Since I'm not into that kind of activity, I don't know exactly what they mean, either. Perhaps there is some skydiver around, who can explain?

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders on August 22, 2002 at 12:41 AM.]

[This message was edited by Anders on August 22, 2002 at 12:52 AM.]

They've bothered to fix the bug in the altimeter page. Perviously, if you zoomed the horizontal scale, but then abandoned by pressing page, the plot restored to the previous scale setting, but the number in the ruler below the plot stayed at wahtever you zoomed to. Now, that number goes back to the correct value again.

Anders

Remember....

"If de-bugging is the act of removing programatic errors, then the act of their instalation would be programming."

Also...

"As programatic functionality doubles, induced errors increase exponentially."

And last, but not least

"In the final analysis of any complex computer system, it has been found that at least 1/3 of designed functionality is either not accesable or un-usable."

Quotes are paraphrased and credited to Dykstra, Yordon and S.E.I.

Do you think they've read "The Art of Computer Programming" at Garmin's R&D office?

Probably not, since they would probably consider the whole task impossible from the beginning, if so.

I've probably blown away their mailserver already, with all the comments on 2.29 beta they've received from me alone. Do you all report about what you see, or am I extreme?

Errh... I'll rephrase that: Am I very much more extreme than the rest of you?

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Nothing about correcting the time zone bug. I'll test it and see.

Downloaded my "favorite" testing file to the Vista, after installing 2.29 beta. The time zone immediately screwed up, when I turned GPS on or off. Back to the drawing board for these guys....

It happens to me when I go to satellite page and select “Use with GPS off” before I get a lock. (I first noticed this when I was inside and couldn’t get a lock.) Even selecting “Use with GPS on” after that it leaves me in the wrong time zone. I have to turn the unit off and back on for it to correct the time zone. It seems to just pick the first zone on the list when it doesn’t get a lock. Since there are times when one would want to use the unit in GPS off mode, I think it would be better if it used the last known zone rather than guessing.