Bluetooth GPS - Opinions?

mtnmunch

I'm using an iPAQ 3975 with a CoPilot Bluetooth GPS and I couldn't be happier. I'm using Mapopolis and I have noticed lately that they are offering a bundle that includes a Fortuna bluetooth GPS that can also be used as a standalone unit since it has its own screen. Best of both worlds really. I paid $199 for my CoPilot since I elected to forgo the software. My wife and I drove from Buffalo, NY to North Hero, VT on a single charge in a six hour period.

I'm using a Socket BT GPS with a Sony Clie NX80. Works very well. I recommend Cachemate, CetusGPS and Plucker 1.6 for caching. Still haven't found a good mapping prograqm that I can display all caches as waypoints on. Mapopolis for PPC does it very nicely, but I really didn't care for the lower screen res and the Activesync problems on my laptop (conflict with Windowsblinds).

T3 is an awesome unit.I like clamshell and the goofy integrated camera, otherwise.... icon_razz.gif

www.palmonecity.com is a new forum started by the www.Cliesource.com folks. Might want to check it out.

quote:
. Still haven't found a good mapping prograqm that I can display all caches as waypoints on....

Delorme SA handheld 2004 is a pretty good improvement over past xmap hand held programs. you can use gpsbabel to upload mass gpx waypoints. on the palm, the card support for putting maps on external card memory works well; it also allows for auto routing on the pda. beware, those routs are akin to stuff you get off of mapquest... goofy sometimes. finally, it has high res support. the same program has both palm and pcket pc support.

I've been interested in it. Kinda sucks you have to order a hard copy. I alrady have Mapopolis for routing. I'd like something for geocaching and topo maps. I saw that GPSBAbel had an output in that format. Nice to have a confirm on that!

I've read someones review somewhere that it does 320x480 as well. I hate wasting real estate on my screen... icon_rolleyes.gif

Might have to order!!! Course that'll lead to Topo4 as well.... icon_eek.gif

I don't know how Mapopolis runs on the Palm platform, but on the PPC its really a godsend. I don't have a problem with the screen resolution at all. As for displaying all of my caches, I use their utility for converting a gpx to maplet. Bingo, all 500 caches as waypoints. I've tried pretty much every other program there is out there, except for Street Atlas USA Handheld 2004, and I can easily say that Mapopolis is the best for both geocaching and routing.

mapopolis runs well on the palm, however it lacks some key functions that are usefull to geocaching (e.g. ability to add waypoints in lat/lon format on the palm os porgram & the ability to upload mass waypoints). When asked, mapopolis officials basically told me that, becuase most geocachers use ppc, these functions would not be supported on the palm. i sold my mapopolis subscription to someone. SA does all of those things for me and a much lower cost. further, bugs in older versions of the hand held addition have been resolved so its much more stable on my palm and thus worth the investment, i feel.