Free Topo Software

Z-71

I've been pestering Mr. Cox about adding Topographic support. Terraserver delivers Topo tiles in GIF, which can be a little problematic.

Each time I pester him, he reminds me we have a deal. I don't heckle him about programming, he doesn't heckle me about flying icon_wink.gif (For the record, his programming is much better than my piloting - but, fortunately, if you weave and yaw enough, other pilots learn to stay away...)

Seriously, I'm sure he will get to it. In the mean time, you can do some limited stuff on my web site, http://www.lostoutdoors.com

You can pick the Waypoint Exchange and fetch waypoints from your GPSr, then map them on topo or aerial. Or, you can go to the map maker and enter waypoints manually and plot them on an aerial or topo map. Not as flexible as USAPhotomaps, but it does do topos, and unlike Topozone, works in the same map datum as most GPS receivers.

Good Luck,

-jjf

I've been pestering Mr. Cox about adding Topographic support. Terraserver delivers Topo tiles in GIF, which can be a little problematic.

Each time I pester him, he reminds me we have a deal. I don't heckle him about programming, he doesn't heckle me about flying icon_wink.gif (For the record, his programming is much better than my piloting - but, fortunately, if you weave and yaw enough, other pilots learn to stay away...)

Seriously, I'm sure he will get to it. In the mean time, you can do some limited stuff on my web site, http://www.lostoutdoors.com

You can pick the Waypoint Exchange and fetch waypoints from your GPSr, then map them on topo or aerial. Or, you can go to the map maker and enter waypoints manually and plot them on an aerial or topo map. Not as flexible as USAPhotomaps, but it does do topos, and unlike Topozone, works in the same map datum as most GPS receivers.

Good Luck,

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by Z-71:

I just found GPS TrackMaker at http://www.gpstm.com/

It looks like it imports BMP, JPG, and GIF files and lets you put tacks and waypoints on them.

I have that and use it some. When importing maps make sure that you have them aligned with north-south being exactly vertical. If it is not then the scaling will be off because gpstm doesn't rotate the map images. Specifically, downloaded DRG topo maps will need to be rotated using another program before importing into gpstm.

My biggest problem with this program is that my computer's too slow and doesn't have enough memory. Maybe I'll use it more when I get a new computer.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.