I am a proud owner of a new GPS V

ChiefPig

icon_biggrin.gif I gave up my eTrex Legend yesterday and ordered a GPS V from GPSCentral.ca. I was a bit hesitant in doing this because I have never seen a GPS V before except from pictures. But I took the gamble and it looks like IT PAID OFF!!! I got my GPS V this morning.

This thing is awesome and looks 100x cooler than the etrex icon_biggrin.gif I actually expected it to be bigger and bulkier but it actually is smaller than it appears in the pictures. YES!!!

Just wanted to share icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bill_Sumrall:

Congratulations!

The learning curve on plotting routes in CitySelect and the V may take some getting used

Bill, why "routes"? I don't use routes. To me, it's all about waypoints. I just select Find and then the waypoint and have the V route me to it.

CP: Congrats - I really like my V too.

The way I use my V is I get the waypoints in and then I create new waypoints for parking areas or entrances to the park. I call them Gxxxx Park and I go to that waypoint and then go to the actual cache waypoint as Off Road.

A good program to use if you haven't already is EasyMPS from http://www.iancowley.co.uk/caching/ which creates a MPS (MapSource file from a GPX or LOC) and sets all the icons to GeoCache icons.

quote:
Originally posted by Team DEMP:

Bill, why "routes"? I don't use routes. To me, it's all about waypoints. I just select Find and then the waypoint and have the V route me to it.

CP: Congrats - I really like my V too.

True. I use waypoints as well. Maybe I stated it wrongly. But when I make a new 'route' on the V, I select Manual. Then put in the waypoints using Map. Once done I see if that is actually the way I want to go. Often I misplace a waypoint - either too close to an exit and the route continues beyond that exit, or some other boo-boo. However, once the route is as I desired, then on the Directions page, I hit Menu and Save Route. Now I have both the Manual route which the V has to compute each time, and the Auto route which is instantaneous. Then I usually delete the Manual route. I am talking a trip in the 500 mile range using both the Basemap and CitySelect rather than locally - where I do just as you, Click on Find and Goto it!

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Well, here is my first stupid question:

Where do I attach the wrist strap/lanyard???? I can't seem to find the hole or loop and I don't think I should use the battery compartment metal locking loop.

I didn't attach mine either. Looks like using that battery compartment thing is asking for trouble.

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Really? Are you kidding? Would that risk opening the battery compartment when the strap gets twisted???

Never had any problems in two years of hanging my GPSV around my neck. My buddy? He dumped his batteries on the ground the first time he tried it.

The trick is to pick a a good quality lanyard with a swivel on the clip. That way the V can spin all it wants and there's no chance of it opening the battery compartment.

I went to a camera shop and bought a wide strapped lanard for mine. the GPSV is heavy enough that a thin lanyard can cut into your neck on a long hike.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

The trick is to pick a a good quality lanyard with a swivel on the clip. That way the V can spin all it wants and there's no chance of it opening the battery compartment.

I went to a camera shop and bought a wide strapped lanard for mine. the GPSV is heavy enough that a thin lanyard can cut into your neck on a long hike.

Very good advice. Thanks. I will definitely be hunting for a good lanyard so I don't have to hike with the V always in my hand.

So I'm guessing the Geocaching.com lanyard does not have a swivel?????

Yeah, that's the other thing I noticed...if only they put a lanyard loop on the top (antenna end) of the unit, the unit probably won't lose any sat lock even while hanging on your neck.

But I guess the unit was primarily designed for vehicle use and outdoor hiking only came in second.

[This message was edited by ChiefPig on September 19, 2003 at 03:41 PM.]

I cannot speak for anyone else but I have noticed that my V likes to be held vertical away from my body for best performance. Whenever I have it too close to my body, I block the view of the sky and I lose reception. So long as I hold it away, I rarely ever lose lock.

The wrist lanyard it a bit silly considering the fact that you have to attach it to the clip on the battery door, but you would be thankful you were using it if it ever slipped out of your hand

YMMV, of course icon_wink.gif

Kar

Well I have had my V for a year now.

I never used the lanyard, I just hold it as I walk and keep it at shoulder hight if I ned to keep lock. If I have a bit of walking to do I just stuff it in a side puch of my pack with the antenna poking out a bitto keep its self locked.

It has taken 2 unexpected baths, both times popping out of my pocket when I was jumping across water :/ NO problems with the unit.

One thing I have yet to do too my poor V is a nasty drop. I have had it fall off the tree or log to the ground, but nothing major. I also suggest using screen protectors, I use some for the Ipaq that I can cut in half and they cover the screen just right.

-Robert