Stupid question

Bilder

Do I have to get the Garmin map software to put maps on my legend or can I use topo map software from other companies like Delorme or NG?

Getting to the point where I would like some detail on the maps when I head for some of the more remote caches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

That is what I thought. Never hurts to dream.

Just wondering if there was a nifty utility out there that would translate other mapping software to make it compatible with your GPS.

Sounds like a project for some of the code geeks out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

Garmin's working on 24K maps mainl in park areas. Their Topo is in 100K detail.

I use Gamin's Topo on my Vista. I also printout Topozine area from the cache pages and carry alongs its 24K detail. With Topo in the Vista and the 24K hard map in hand, it's easy to see where you're at onn the 24K topo and the paper is a lot ewasy to read then the small Vista display.

Sometimes, I'll printout from my NG Topo (also 24K maps) with the cache location and trail and route on the hard copy, all in color, if I'm in an anal mood, but simply printing out the Topozone map from the cache page is really easy and effective.

Good luck

Alan

I agree with Alan2, map printout and cache page printout are my main tools too. I use QuakeMap to print out aerial map with coordinate rulers, street map for the vicinity of the caches, load all caches for the area from Pocket Queries or .loc file to GPS, and print out cache pages. At this point the map in GPS doesn't matter - all you need from GPS is direction/distance to cache and exact current coordinates.

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...