Pocket PC Geocaching Apps & Info

I recently did alot of work getting my gps connected to my pocket pc and gathering apps that were useful while caching. I've started work on a faq of sorts anyone whom has a pocket pc may find helpful. When I was working on this I had a tough time finding info. It's my hope that I can save some of you all the work I had to do.

You can find it at

http://www.mdgps.net/modules.php?name=pocketcaching

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

One of the pro's on Mobi is that you can annotate a cache page. That lets you put in a bookmarks for what cache you have just found as well as add some comments to jog your memory for your online log.

Also your advice is for the Toshiba (nothing wrong with that as I've come to hate Compaq for being disinterested in solving problems).

The iPAQ can use a cable that goes straight from the PDA to the GPS. I got the option for running my PDA on a cars power point while hooked to the GPS though since the GPS can last for hours on batteries and the PDA nowhere near as long.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

All the software stuff should work on any recent pocketpc. The connection stuff may also be similar for others. If anyone would like to send me some info about connecting various other pocket pc's I'll add it in!

The connections are whats the buggar sometimes. I have had good luck with PDA to GPS cables from GeorgeCo Cables

The Axim is very partucular as I have read several hack to get that to work in odd ways with GPS's and car power.

I'll have to take a look at Crashmores faq and see if the stuff I have read in linked in there.

-Robert

Yes.......Dell is goofy.

1st, if you are using the bottom connector, COM1 will read the data,

2nd, make sure your GPS program looks for COM1, then,

...before you actually attach the GPS unit, run your GPS program with no other apps running (such as ActiveSync),

...then tell the GPS program to activate the GPS or start, you should get an error message that no GPS was detected,

...then plug in the GPS, and try a re-connect or start, what ever the program calls connecting the GPS.

My Dell Axim X5 won't run Delorme Xmap HH unless I follow this procedure. Very frustrating, but it works.

By the way, the Delorme Xmap HH is V E R Y S L O W ! !. I have ordered and am waiting for PC2003, which is now being delayed until approximately 09/15/03, just heard from Dell this AM.

Hope this helps.

Safe Caching,

Dave,

Akron, Ohio

I have an axim and it connects to my eTrex like a breeze.

I bought the setup here:

http://pc-mobile.net/gps.htm

It's $41.50 plus shipping. Works great. The only downside is that it comes from Hong Kong so it takes about two weeks to arrive. But well worth it.

What you get is one cable that connects the axim and etrex. No hacking, no fooling around. Just plug and play.

You also get another cable that plugs into the power port on the Axim and then into your cigarette lighter so you can have it on the brightest setting all the time while driving.

I LOVE IT. Crashmore's page is 100% right - Mapopolis is the freakin' cat's meow. I've been using it a week and don't know how I lived without it.

Next on my wishlist is the ability to upload waypoints from a GPX from my axim. Then all I need the old 'puter for is getting the email icon_wink.gif

Big dave is right on the Dell though. You have to fire it up before plugging in the GPS or it'll go nuts.

Mapopolis is good stuff but the thing I like about it most is that it's FAST. It calculates my routes (they aren't long at the moment... usually under 30 miles) in under a second. I can scroll the map around and it's nearly real time.

I've tried others like Pharos. When you zoom out it takes a full 5 seconds to redraw the screen.

Mapopolis, mapopolis, mapopolis icon_smile.gif It's my new drug of choice icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Great information. Looks like I've already pretty much followed the same path as you have. I decided I like GPX view better, and think the latest version of mapopolis absolutely rocks, especially since they upgraded to true course up. The only thing I miss from the older version is the ability to use the mapcreator program to mass import my waypoints. Now you can only enter them one at a time.

You provided us all a great resource, Thanks

Has anyone tried Routis? It actually looks better than mapopolis:

http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=RSSA&Category_Code=GS

Uses the same map provider (I think) as teletype GPS.

Has things I wish Mapopolis had:

- Quick POI search within distance

- Large custom address/location input keyboard with finger-sized buttons. No more stylus to choose a waypoint.

- Phone numbers of POIs

It also has a PC-based maploader program AND works on a laptop.

It's a very tempting alternative to Mapopolis.

Though it doesn't say you can load your own waypoints. I do like the interface though and getting all the maps on CD with a mapselector is pretty sweet. The option to use it on a laptop is really nice too.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I have made some updates to my pocketpc caching faq. I have included a bit of info about wm2003 and a bug with gpsview as well as gpx spinner info and thanks to trippy1976 some awesome dell axim info. I hope this is helpful

Hey Crash and others...

I am using the Dell Axim X5 (400mhz) with a CF slot GPS....Delorme Xmap,Navio and CacheDragon software. What I really want to know is...does PC2003 for PDA run faster??? If so...how is Delorem XmapHH....I can tell you it is "grow old" slow on my Dell with PC2002...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

crash,

I have to say I'm ticked off at you. icon_wink.gif Now I want a PocketPC and I've only had my iQue for 3 weeks. Not that I'd give it up but adding PocketPC could be fun, too, even for a Mac guy! the iQue is nice that it has the GPS built-in... how does the Etrex/PocketPC combo compare to a CompactFlash GPS option? or is there such a thing? Not like either is Mac compatible anyway icon_mad.gif

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I prefer hooking up my handheld gps for two reasons. 1. I alread have a nice handheld unit and didn't want to spend the extra money on a cf one. 2. I don't generally walk around the woods with my ppc out. Unless I need a hint ete it is securely clipped to my belt where It's much safer icon_smile.gif

As for PPC and the mac I believe the software was just released to allow you to synch the ppc with a mac.

In my expierence yes 2003 is faster. 2003 was written and enhanced for the xscale procesors unlike 2002.

Now as for Delorme I found it to be so slow when intially trying it I quickly gave up.

I would suggest checking out mapopolis.

It's more expensive but well worth it. They have a demo available to test it out. You owe it to yourself to try it. It blows delorme out of the water.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdaveoh:

Hey Crash and others...

I am using the Dell Axim X5 (400mhz) with a CF slot GPS....Delorme Xmap,Navio and CacheDragon software. What I really want to know is...does PC2003 for PDA run faster??? If so...how is Delorem XmapHH....I can tell you it is "grow old" slow on my Dell with PC2002...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

No in the doc only the PDA is powered by the cig adapter. I use rechargeable batteries in my gps and get about a full day of running on each charge so power hasn't really been a concern for me re the gps. If it is for you , you can check out a cable such as this one:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10268%2D00

This will act a your interface cable and power adapter. Of course you will need either two cigaret lighter plus in your car or a splitter.

Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

This is good info, thanks.

Now...with the set-up you describe are BOTH the PDA, (Axim), and GPS (Vista), powered by the cigararette lighter adapter?

If Not..is this possible? - JamesJM

I keep my iQue in my backpack (yes, I finally started taking it caching), but I know you use the ppc to get to the general area driving-wise, just figured it'd be more convenient to have a "built-in" option.

As for syncing, yeah it'll work (while the iQue won't--yet) but the map portion won't. NO biggie, though, like I said in another thread, these are things you know going into the Apple store(s). icon_wink.gif

See ya...

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

Actually if you use mapopolis on your pda running a mac won't hold you back at all. Unlinke the delorme and streets packages you don't need to load the maps via your desktop pc.

With mapopolis you download the maps and copy them directly to your pda , no desktop processing needed.

It's possible to get the cigarette ligther to power both if you buy a more expensive cable. But I say take the extra $30 and buy a set of good rechargeables icon_smile.gif You'll get about 30 hours of life from the eTrex with two sets. If you're driving more than 30 hours at a stretch buy some more batteries. And make a pee stop, wouldya? icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Hey Crash....

Thanks... your right, Mapopolis really runs great ! The demo sold me...$$$, its only money..lol

I'm not sure if I understand their progrom tho... It looks like I can buy the maps on CD, which would be outstanding when I travel and an internet connection is not available.

So.... I hope thats the case... If you know the CD will provide the same maps as the download...let me know....again...its only money $$$ (wait til my boss....errr...wife...see's this...)

Thanks all,

Dave,Akron, Ohio

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

I keep my iQue in my backpack (yes, I finally started taking it caching), but I know you use the ppc to get to the general area driving-wise, just figured it'd be more convenient to have a "built-in" option.

As for syncing, yeah it'll work (while the iQue won't--yet) but the map portion won't. NO biggie, though, like I said in another thread, these are things you know going into the Apple store(s). icon_wink.gif

See ya...

~robert

_Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache._

For those of you with Macs and Pocket PC's you should check out www.markspace.com and look for a program called Missing Sync. It allows OSX to sync with a pocket PC and transfer files.

There are versions for Palm as well.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Well I think the one you'll want is the navigator version which is 99 bucks. This gets you 1 year of access to download all the maps you need. The maps don't expire so you can download them and burn them to a cd for yourself if you wish which is what I'll be doing before my 1 year is up icon_smile.gif It seems kinda pricey for software until you use it. i use it everytime I go caching these days. It's nice not having to do the research on mapquest etc to look up driving directions.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdaveoh:

Hey Crash....

Thanks... your right, Mapopolis really runs great ! The demo sold me...$$$, its only money..lol

I'm not sure if I understand their progrom tho... It looks like I can buy the maps on CD, which would be outstanding when I travel and an internet connection is not available.

So.... I hope thats the case... If you know the CD will provide the same maps as the download...let me know....again...its only money $$$ (wait til my boss....errr...wife...see's this...)

Thanks all,

Dave,Akron, Ohio

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

quote:
posted August 11, 2003 08:30 PM

I have made some updates to my pocketpc caching faq. I have included a bit of info about wm2003 and a bug with gpsview as well as gpx spinner info and thanks to trippy1976 some awesome dell axim info. I hope this is helpful

I have been gathering my notes and thoughts on composing exactly the same page for the toshibia e-335 I use. Man, you have just saved me a ton of work. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I cant use the expansion module with the 335 but it looks like the cable for the 355 may work to solve my connection problems. Then I have to snag a map or two..

Thanks a million Crash..

**Glenn, St. Louis, Mo

SLAGALogo.gif

I looked all over the place when trying to figure out how to do this stuff and couldn't find any one definitive source. It took me alot of time to kinda piece it all together and get it working. I'm just happy I've been able to save some times for some like minded folks. Glad to have been of assistance.

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

Hey Crash,

Tnx for the info....It sounds like downloading as much geography as possible will do it.... but if the maps on CD will do the same, Hmmmm...just don't know which way to go. The CD is $109 or less depending on where you shop. ....And can you download a whole state at once from Mapopolis, or only by county?

Anyway... if youi have a moment to comment on this,,,it's appreciated..

Safe Caching,

Dave, Akron, Ohio

Hey thanks Crash...

.... so you havn't any problems downloading the state zip file and then writing to a disk? I have a zip reader on my Dell.... I wonder if I would have to extract on my PC and then sen it extracted to my Dell...or extract the zip right on the PDA???

you know.... I'm computer illiterate...cant spell either....anyway, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dave, Akron, Ohio