eTrex entering location

Guest Todd

I just bought a eTrex, the yellow one, and I want to enter a location and try to get there, but maybe I cannot read correctly, but the manual was not helping me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Todd

Here is how I do in on my eTrex. There are probably other ways.

First get the Latatude and Longitude of the location you would like to goto. You can get this from paper maps, online maps and other places.

1) Goto menu screen select "mark" press [enter]

2) on mark waypoint screen press [down arrow] twice. This will heighlight the Lat/Lon

3) press [enter]. Now modify the Lat/Long to match the coordinates of the points you wish to goto. Select {ok} and press enter.

4) Use [up arrow] to modify the name and symbol in a similar way.

5) Select the {ok} in the bubble and press [enter]

6) You know have a waypoint at your loacation and can use the waypoint just like the rest.

Make sure you have set you gps to the same datum and cordinate of the map or other source you are using. Most maps will tell you which datum in the legend. Most sources will use WGS-84 although most USGS topo maps are a little older and us NADS-27. The datum is the model for the shape of the earth. The Coordiantes are the form of the data. The coordinates are usually like decimal degrees or degress minute seconds or maybe UMT. This part get a little intimidating but it not as bad as it first looks. Most likely you will use datum:

WGS-84

and one of these coordinate:

DD.DDDD

DD MM.MMM

DD MM SS.S

Hope this helps

Matt

Ok, I just got the Garmin eTrex myself, trying to enter in the co-ordinates.....what I dont get is, most people enter it in like this N 41° 14.705 W 73° 47.846 My eTrex doesnt seem to accept the input like this, I did check its on WGS-84 (whatever that is) can you tell im new, heh icon_smile.gif Im just having dificutly entering them in..please help thanks Dino icon_smile.gif

Ok, I just got the Garmin eTrex myself, trying to enter in the co-ordinates.....what I dont get is, most people enter it in like this N 41° 14.705 W 73° 47.846 My eTrex doesnt seem to accept the input like this, I did check its on WGS-84 (whatever that is) can you tell im new, heh icon_smile.gif Im just having dificutly entering them in..please help thanks Dino icon_smile.gif

Try This

1) Goto Menu page and select units

2) Top entry of the unit page is your position format.

You wanted ddd mm.mmm format

You probably had ddd mm ss.s or ddd.dddd or something else.

Good luck

Guest Todd Svec

Help! I'm confused on coordinates, and how to pick the best ones for my eTrex. I have no problem with entereing in the data, I'm just confused by MapBlast! I found another location, and entered it in (wrong) and got thoroughly confused. I'll use a real life example of a current GEOCache:

Correct: N 39° 24.661 W 94° 14.86 (WGS-84)

MapBlast shows: Lat: 39.411 Lon: -94.2477 and when I click on that, it appears to convert to:

MapBlast shows: Lat: 39° 24' 39" N Lon: 94° 14' 51" W

It looks like all is almost the same, how can I convert it so it's exact?

Todd