WAAS vs. DGPS

Guest hmf4

Does anyone have a WAAS capable GPS? If so, how's the accuracy? Is DGPS better, worse, or the same?

I'm about to buy a new Garmin and I'm trying to decide whether or not to look at the Vista w/ WAAS over some of the other models...

Thanks!

Guest bigethespe

I just placed a cache today using WAAS correction, the eTrex Legend said i was accurate to 6 feet. If you do not have a really clear view of a lot of sky, I have noticed that WAAS is pointless. It takes a few minutes for it to start working properly once you turn it on, but when it starts working you can expect a significantly higher degree of accuracy.

bigethespe

Guest madphishmonger

I don't think it would be detrimental, we would just start hiding them better icon_smile.gif

I had ordered a etrex vista a few days ago, so I downloaded the manual to familiarize myslelf with it. When I came to the section about WAAS I was pleasantly suprised. I had never heard of it! I read somewhere that garmin didn't advertise the feature because there are only two sattelites in orbit right now (on the US east and west coast) so many parts of the world won't be able to recieve these signals until more sats are launched.

Heh, I have visions of a differential supplement to WAAS, and then another for that one, and so on...

Guest madphishmonger

I don't think it would be detrimental, we would just start hiding them better icon_smile.gif

I had ordered a etrex vista a few days ago, so I downloaded the manual to familiarize myslelf with it. When I came to the section about WAAS I was pleasantly suprised. I had never heard of it! I read somewhere that garmin didn't advertise the feature because there are only two sattelites in orbit right now (on the US east and west coast) so many parts of the world won't be able to recieve these signals until more sats are launched.

Heh, I have visions of a differential supplement to WAAS, and then another for that one, and so on...