Nimh Battery chargers

Guest Huscarl

Guest Huscarl

Can anyone recommend a nimh battery charger?

Also what should I look for in a charger?

Ideally I want one that supports 110/230V so I can use it in the US & Europe with just an adapter.

Failing that one thats cheap so I can buy two - one for US & one for Europe icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Huscarl

Guest Rich in NEPA

mh-c204f-4aa16+.jpg

The Maha MH-204F is probably one of the most popular NiMH chargers going. I have a couple of them that are used mostly for my digital cameras. I really like the fact that I can take one with me in the car and plug it into the 12VDC cigarette lighter receptacle. And their NiMH batteries are top-shelf, too.

sundancesolar_1674_542823

My very next charger with be the Ray-o-Vac because I'm interested in the fact that it charges each cell independantly. There is a 12VDC adapter kit available for it, as well.

Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

Guest st_richardson

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

My very next charger with be the Ray-o-Vac because I'm interested in the fact that it charges each cell independantly. There is a 12VDC adapter kit available for it, as well.

Cheers ...

I like having cells charge independently. I lucked into both of my chargers doing that.

[This message has been edited by st_richardson (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest SergZak

I picked up the Rayovac 1 hour charger

(the one that is pictured in this thread) over the weekend at Fry's. This is a great charger and works as advertised...charges cells *independently* in one hour (or less) and then trickle or maintenence charges them after the initial charge if left in the charger.

[This message has been edited by SergZak (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest ClayJar

Let me add my $.27 to the Rayovac PS-4's admirers. It's worked like a charm since I picked it up some many months ago.

(Oh, and by the way, there's a 12V adapter you can get for the Rayovac, too. icon_smile.gif)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest Mr. Plow

Ditto on the Ray-o-Vac, I just purchased it at Walmart ($27 with 2 1600mAh AA). It works great on my 1300mAh Kodaks, my 1600 and 1700mAh Energizer and my 1600mAh. I havn't yet been able to find the DC charger and how much it costs.

Buy it you'll like it!

Guest Huscarl

Thanks for the info guys icon_smile.gif

The Rayovac looks interesting.

Presumably the socket for the 12V car adapter is standard and should allow me to plug in a jack plug from any standard AC/DC adapter?

The Maha MH-204F states it has two independent charging circuits. What's the disadvantage compared to 4 individual circuits?

Guest Rich in NEPA

However, if the cells are then left in the charger and allowed to receive a trickle charge, all cells will eventually come to full capacity. [There are other technical issues involved here as well, but are too complicated to discuss.] That's why you will often see a shorter runtime if you use the cells as soon as the quick charge is done. Again, in most applications this isn't a serious issue. As long as you charge the entire set of cells at one time, and then leave them in the charger on trickle charge for a while longer, either of the two chargers mentioned above will work just fine.

The reason that I stated I'd like to get one of the Ray-o-Vac chargers is that I have some uses where I only need one cell. With the Ray-o-Vac charger, I can keep as many as four cells charged and remove one at a time as needed, replacing it with a discharged cell which now has it's own circuit to charge it. Does this make sense?

Otherwise, this whole thing is not a big deal. If your GPSr takes two cells, the Maha charger with its two charging circuits will suffice. If your GPSr takes four cells, then a charger with only one circuit will be just fine. Just remember that a little extra time on trickle charge will bring them all to full capacity.

~Rich in NEPA~

quote:
The Maha MH-204F states it has two independent charging circuits. What's the disadvantage compared to 4 individual circuits?

Huscarl, as long as you keep your cells in sets, there is really no problem. The "problem" arises when you mix cells from different sets. [Technically, a "battery" is composed of one or more "cells." So it can sometimes be confusing since we commonly refer to a single cell a battery, too.] Anyway, rechargeable "batteries" should contain cells that are "matched," that is, cells that have the same internal electrical/chemical characteristics. Due to manufacturing tolerances, and typical charging practices this is never exactly the case, but for most uses this isn't a concern.

Here, briefly, is what happens: in a battery composed of multiple cells, some cells will be discharged slightly more than the others. When recharging the set, ideally they should all get charged to their maximum capacity. When charged in pairs or in fours, the cell that reaches its full capacity first determines the charge cut-off point for all the others. However, if the cells are then left in the charger and allowed to receive a trickle charge, all cells will eventually come to full capacity. [There are other technical issues involved here as well, but are too complicated to discuss.] That's why you will often see a shorter runtime if you use the cells as soon as the quick charge is done. Again, in most applications this isn't a serious issue. As long as you charge the entire set of cells at one time, and then leave them in the charger on trickle charge for a while longer, either of the two chargers mentioned above will work just fine.

The reason that I stated I'd like to get one of the Ray-o-Vac chargers is that I have some uses where I only need one cell. With the Ray-o-Vac charger, I can keep as many as four cells charged and remove one at a time as needed, replacing it with a discharged cell which now has it's own circuit to charge it. Does this make sense?

Otherwise, this whole thing is not a big deal. If your GPSr takes two cells, the Maha charger with its two charging circuits will suffice. If your GPSr takes four cells, then a charger with only one circuit will be just fine. Just remember that a little extra time on trickle charge will bring them all to full capacity.

~Rich in NEPA~

===================================================================

~ A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ~

===================================================================

...It's what I use, and like. I'm new-ish to NiMH/rechargables, but I sure do like them. My GPS, unfortunately, dislikes the rechargables - not enough maximum volts - but my Handspring Visor PDA loves the AAA NiMH batteries!

I use my rechargable AA's in my mini mag flashlight and swap them out occasionally.

I specifically got the C204F charger from Maha because, well, it charges batteries pretty fast, relatively inexpensive, would charge both AAA's and AA's in the same charger.

I'm looking to expand my use of rechargables for my girlfriend's digital camera, flashlights, etc. They work great.

"Strictly hand-held is the style I go." --Beastie Boys

Does any one have experience using NiMh batts in the maggie 315? I've been using Rayovac's rechargeable alkalines and they don't seem to give very good life. I've tried to be careful about not letting the batteries drain too far before recharging them and letting them trickle-charge to make sure they are at "max" charge. But I'm lucky to get 7-8 hours out of a fresh set (without backlight and in a reasonably good reception area).

NiMh sounds great, but I don't know how the 315 would handle the lower voltage.

Any suggestions?

quote:
Originally posted by SergZak:

My other chargers are now going in the garbage...the Rayovac PS4 puts all other wanna-be battery chargers to shame. icon_biggrin.gif

It's a great charger. But anyone interested in buying one should check that they are getting the "B" version (look on the back of the blister pack, and the model number should end in a "B"). Early version had problems that caused the cells to overheat. This was fixed several months ago, but there may still be some of the old models on the shelves.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Early version had problems that caused the cells to overheat.

PS, thanks for the valuable tip. I wasn't aware of that particular issue with the Ray-o-Vac charger. Planning to pick one up this weekend. Thanks.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

I came across this discussion about the Rayovac PS4 car cable on a newsgroup.

quote:

> It operates from 12 V, so you can use it in a car if you want. It

> doesn't come with a cigarette lighter cord, but Rayovac sells this as

> an accessory - or you can make your own. In fact, it uses the same

> size DC input connector and polarity as the Maha MH-C204F, so if you've

> made a car cord for the Maha you can also use it for the PS-4. You may

> have to change to a larger fuse, though - the Maha needs 0.5 A, while

> the PS-4 needs 1.5 A maximum.

Has anybody tried:

1) getting the proper car adapter?

2) doing the above/making your own?

3) Using a 'wall wart' to generate 12V in place of the car adapter?

Otherwise I'm looking at the Quest 2 because just by changing the power unit, it becomes truly international.

Cheers

BogBunny (formerly Huscarl icon_wink.gif )

[This message was edited by BogBunny on March 09, 2002 at 05:52 PM.]

I use AA-size Energizer ACCURechargeable NiMH in my GPS76, GPS V, backpacking flashlights, and Motorola FRS radios. I use C-size Energizer ACCURechargeable NiMH batteries in a dive light I carry when I kayak. And I use D-size Energizer ACCURechargeable NiMH batteries in an emergency strobe I carry on my kayak. Sometimes I carry a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500, which uses the 9V "radio"-size Energizer ACCURechargeable NiMH. I bought a real nice charger via the internet, but it has no brand or model number on it (I'll keep looking for the paper work). It has a "Made in China" sticker and technical specs on the back. It's a two channel charger with a discharge mode. It performs the fast charge and then trickle charges. It will charge AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V "radio" rechargeable batteries. This charger has performed flawlessly and it's very flexible! icon_eek.gif

I also have a solar AA-size battery charger by ICP Global Technologies, that I bought from West Marine. It will fully charge four AA-size batteries in about three-hours (depending on amount of sunlight). I use it in the back window of the car, when geocaching to boost my batteries. I believe I remember reading that the batteries will last longer if recharged before they are more than 50% discharged (is that correct?).

I use AA-size Kodak Rechargeable NiMH batteries in my digital camera. The camera came with a Kodak model K200 NiMH/NiCd battery charger, that charges four batteries. It also does a great job.

I always carry at least three sets of AA-size NiMH, and I spare each of the C-size, D-size, and 9V "radio"-size NiMH batteries. I've never been short on "juice", but then I do travel heavier than some might prefer. I like having my technology with me, and hey, it works for me. icon_biggrin.gif

12645_400.jpg

[This message was edited by The_Mariner on March 09, 2002 at 07:48 PM.]

Thanks to everyone who has provided a response to my initial questions. I hadn't realised chargers had so many features to consider icon_smile.gif

Anyway, after considering everything I think I might go for the Quest 2 as it looks like it would be more suited for my travelling needs (I travel a lot between US & Europe) and has 4 independent charge circuits.

I like the idea of the Rayovac PS-4's fast charge time, but it's considerably bigger than most others and only works off 110V. Despite the car kit being available, this seems to be an expensive add-on and even if an external power unit can be used, 1.5A adapters are expensive ($60 +).

I've looked at a number of chargers and compared numerous features. I did create a spec table which I intended to post here, but It didn't come out right on the Forums icon_frown.gif

Instead I'll post the results of my research for anyone else who might be interested. This list is by no means exhaustive, but features those chargers I'd shortlisted.

Note:

* indicates it needs alternate power adapter

@ Price with facility to use in UK/Europe

MH-C204F

This seems to be very popular and looks to be a good choice.

Pros:

Adapters available to allow it to be used in various countries.

Car kit available.

Good Price.

Supports Ni-Cd.

Cons:

Only has 2 charging circuits.

Average charge time.

Needs separate power adapters for each country/region.

No of Cells 4

No of Ccts 2

Charge time (hrs) 3 to 4

Conditioner Yes

Charge Rate 450 mA

Car adapter Yes

Mains Voltage 110/230(*)

Batteries included 0

Price $24

int'l pwr price(@) 10.9

Car pwr price N/A

Total $34.90

Lightning 4000N

A little known about charger, only available from the manufacturers web site.

Pros:

Excellent price.

Compatible with both 110V 60Hz and 230V 50Hz.

Fast charge time.

Supports Ni-Cd.

Stays cool while charging.

Cons:

Needs travel plug adapter.

Only has 2 charging circuits.

No car kit option.

No of Cells 4

No of Ccts 2

Charge time (hrs) 1 to 2

Conditioner Yes

Charge Rate N/K

Car adapter No

Mains Voltage 110/230

Batteries included 0

Price $24.95

int'l pwr price(@) N/A

Car pwr price N/A

Total $24.95

Rayovac PS4

Becoming very popular because of it's charging time.

Pros:

Very fast charge time.

Has 4 independet charging ccts.

Car Kit available as an option.

Supports Ni-Cd.

Cons:

No Car Kit available

110V only.

Reportedly difficult to remove batteries (?!?)

No of Cells 4

No of Ccts 4

Charge time (hrs) 1

Conditioner Yes

Charge Rate 1700 mA

Car adapter Yes

Mains Voltage 110

Batteries included 2

Price $27

int'l pwr price(@) N/A

Car pwr price $25

Total $52

Amsmann Powerline 4

A German charger that is very popular in Europe, but not readily available in the US.

Pros:

Reasonable charge time.

Has 4 independet charging ccts.

Compatible with both 110V 60Hz and 230V 50Hz.

Comes with international travel plug adapters.

Supports Ni-Cd.

Cons:

Very expensive(especiallt in US).

No car kit available.

No of Cells 4

No of Ccts 4

Charge time (hrs) 3

Conditioner Yes

Charge Rate 700 mA

Car adapter No

Mains Voltage 110/230

Batteries included 0

Price $70 (US) £40 (UK)

int'l pwr price(@) N/A

Car pwr price N/A

Total $70 (US) £40 (UK)

Quest Q2

All things considered, this seems to meet all of my requirements.

Pros:

Adapters available to allow it to be used in various countries.

Car kit included

Good Price.

Has 4 independent charging circuits.

Cons:

Average charge time.

Needs separate power adapters for each country/region.

Doesn't support Ni-Cd.

No of Cells 4

No of Ccts 4

Charge time (hrs) 3 to 4

Conditioner No

Charge Rate 500 mA

Car adapter Yes

Mains Voltage 110/230(*)

Batteries included 4

Price $38.97

int'l pwr price(@) 8.97

Car pwr price N/A