OT: Where's my spam?

Jamie Z

I just wanted to see if I am the only one whose spam has decreased significantly in the last month or so.

Previously, I used to receive about 15-20 spam messages per day, even though I have the spam and security filters set to the max on my Hotmail account. Like most people, I ignored them. It was an irritation, but there was little else I could do.

Starting about three weeks ago or so, the spam in my inbox has fallen to barely a trickle, yet I haven't done anything or changed any settings. Now I get maybe 2 or 3 spams per day.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just lucky?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I just wanted to see if I am the only one whose spam has decreased significantly in the last month or so.

Previously, I used to receive about 15-20 spam messages per day, even though I have the spam and security filters set to the max on my Hotmail account. Like most people, I ignored them. It was an irritation, but there was little else I could do.

Starting about three weeks ago or so, the spam in my inbox has fallen to barely a trickle, yet I haven't done anything or changed any settings. Now I get maybe 2 or 3 spams per day.

If you have hotmail set to the max, you're only going to get mail from people who are in your address book, or that you've added to your allow list.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Road Runner has started some agressive measures against SPAM. A few weeks ago they started blocking port 25 from any "residential" IP address from any ISP trying to reach their mail server.

See http://security.rr.com/residential.htm for details.

I don't know if they implemented this everywhere at the same time, but it might account for some recent reduction in SPAM.

George

My hotmail used to be my most spam ridden account. It cleared up but recenly more has come. More is 1 or 2 a day.

My old ISP over time grew progressivly worse (even after starting a hotmail account to business on the net with all those sites that require an email) until it was 20 a day.

Chaning ISP's fixed the problem except one account has a common name and one doesn't. That one that does picks up about 2 a week. That account is used nowhere but geocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

If you have hotmail set to the max, you're only going to get mail from people who are in your address book, or that you've added to your allow list.

Of course you are right. I should have said that I am one short of allowing emails only from people in my address book.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy... although it seems kind of weird to go to my inbox each day and see only one, or sometimes no messages. Before there would invariably be 10 or so messages each time I checked it, even if all of them were spam.

Jamie