Garmin eMap Basic discounted at Walmart

Guest Wonderboy

Guest Wonderboy

Tres Okies introduced me to a Garmin eMap and I liked it so much that I went searching for one in Austin, TX. Couldn't find it at any of the electronic stores, REI, Academy, etc... However, Walmart had them and they were discounted to $167. I really like the fact that it is a mapping unit but is so cheap. We get good reception with it and it has a lot of features useful for geocaching. I'm quite happy with it so far.

Guest sbukosky

I bought mine from Walmart also. But, it was missing the strap and the clerk couldn't find a new one so I got 10% off. An even better deal at $154! I'm wondering how you or anyone with an EMap, is finding it to work on cache hunts? It's gotten me to every one that I've looked for but even with the leafless trees, it drops the signal lock so much that I don't think it will work come time the leaves fill out in spring. Further, I think that the sensitivity is reduced with cloud cover!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

I've haven't had significant reception problems in deciduous forests, but do sometimes lose lock in dense redwood stands as well as in narrow canyons (both natural and city center, such as lower Manhattan). Are you holding the unit horizontal with the antenna area facing the sky (and preferably away from your body)?

Reception on mine has been excellent in all weather conditions incl. heavy rain, but I haven't tested it during snow yet.