Garmin Questions - Advice Before Buying

Guest Khao Mun Gai

Guest Khao Mun Gai

I am interested in this Garmin:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005B4BJ/

It looks fantastic. Does anyone have any feedback on it?

I want to make sure that it supports downloadable maps from either the MetroGuide and/or Roads and Recreation guides - and I would like to be able to do so without buying an additional memory cartridge.

I don't understand how this works. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Guest Artful Dodger

Hi there

I suggest you look at this thread.

Also, there is a very informative site found here that will help you with all your GPS unit questions. Here is the GPSMAP76 info.

I have the GPSMAP76 and am very satisfied with it. It has maping capabilities and can accept Mapsource products including Metroguide, Roads & Rec and TOPO

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 17 July 2001).]

Guest k2dave

That is a good one. does it all and waas too. One thing you should think about is that internal antenna models typically don't get as good reception as the external ones. Not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of.

Also consider you will have to buy the CD for more detailed maps so that's an extra $100. If you don't plan to use the CD then the basemaps are very sparse and not useful for hiking or even driving on non-highways.

Guest Tinaddar

I'd recommend the Garmin ETrex Vista. You can get it for less than that one from http://www.etronics.com

Forgot to mention the Vista has 24 megs of memory for downloading maps, barometric altimeter, electronic compass, and lots of other goodies.

[This message has been edited by Tinaddar (edited 17 July 2001).]

Guest Khao Mun Gai

As a truly impulsive gadget-fiend with too much disposable income I have already upgraded from my Magellan 310, purchased last weekend and to be returned tomorrow, to the Garmin GPSMAP 76.

I was out for an hour this evening playing with the Garmin - its fantastic - so much better than the Magellan 310, so feature-rich and so apparently accurate. It got me within 10.8 feet of the cache I sought.

I particularly love the automatic track feature and the Highway view mode.

This is going to be one hell of a toy!

KMG

Guest homebru

Now that's the kind of testimonial I like to see. I've been bouncing back and forth trying to decide between the MAP76 and the Magellan 330M. I borrowed a 330M last night and in a side by side test with my Garmin 12, the 330M came out ahead for accuracy. I've been real happy with my Garmin but can get a good price on the 330M. Decisions; decisions.

Guest Campeon1981

quote:
Originally posted by Khao Mun Gai:

I saw somebody post here that Garmin vs. Magellan is like Ford vs. Chevy and perhaps that is the case.

I'll be looking forward to seeing that icon_wink.gif

and yes.. it seems to be Ford vs. Chevy...

and not to throw the first punch but personally i'm a Chevy man! (ducking for cover)

So does that put me on Magellan's team or Garmin's?

Guest Campeon1981

quote:
Originally posted by Khao Mun Gai:

I saw somebody post here that Garmin vs. Magellan is like Ford vs. Chevy and perhaps that is the case.

I'll be looking forward to seeing that icon_wink.gif

and yes.. it seems to be Ford vs. Chevy...

and not to throw the first punch but personally i'm a Chevy man! (ducking for cover)

So does that put me on Magellan's team or Garmin's?

Guest Jebediah

I'll put forth a contrarian view. The Ford vs. Chevy label is simply a device used to mask and/or trivialize the comments of those who wish to point out real differences between a cherished model someone happens to currently own and another model/brand being discussed. Of course, once an upgrade is made, that model/brand becomes the one to defend against all comers. Heaven help anyone that switches brands.

The truth is no one GPS brand or model is perfectly identical to another or suits everyone the same, and there are REAL differences that affect different users in different ways. Even the similar Garmin eTrex line differs radically in features, strengths & weaknesses from one model to another.

It's not simply Ford vs. Chevy, it's antenna design vs. antenna design, water resistance vs. water immersion, complex vs. simple, inefficient & feature-laden vs. featureless and economical, large vs. small, cheap vs. expensive, type of outdoors use (in-vehicle? remote terrain? type of activity? good weather? cover? cold? rain? snow?).

[This message has been edited by Jebediah (edited 30 July 2001).]