XML Descriptions (please)

After GeoCaching as a non-member for a while and now a full, paying member, I have to say how there's only one thing that is starting to annoy me.

In the XML Loc files, there's no DESCRIPTION of the location.

This would be fine, but I'm traveling (a lot) and don't have the ability to print out every single page or detail about the cache site whenever I go hunting.

I download 30+ caches to my Garmin eTrex Legend and go hunting, only to be often confused about a cache.

What this means in practical terms is simple; when I'm out caching, I have no real idea if the cache site is virtual or not without checking back on the web site.

Please, oh please, start adding names and descriptions to the XML Loc files.

I'd be much happier.

When I pull in Locations (food & drink, etc) from MapSource and other Topo map cds, I get a detailed description of the place, the address, the phone number and so forth.

What kind of format are these files in? How is it they can pull in description info and the Loc files can't?

Is there another Garmin (like the Vista) that can handle these descriptions?

Maybe I'm just confused. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by John S Flowers on August 24, 2003 at 10:10 AM.]

I don't know exactly how it's done, but I know Garmin does it with a proprietary format. Notice how the waypoints for all those places are also seperate, and don't appear with your waypoints in the "index". Some units support a "comment" field with each waypoint, but it's not large enough to contain a cache description. I don't believe the any of the etrex models allow this either (I have a Venture).

There is NO stand-alone GPS that I'm aware of, by ANY manufacturer that will do what you are asking. Garmin's new iQue is a combination PDA/GPS, so it can bring along descriptions, but since you already have a gps, an inexpensive pda may be your best option.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by John S Flowers:

When I pull in Locations (food & drink, etc) from MapSource and other Topo map cds, I get a detailed description of the place, the address, the phone number and so forth.

What kind of format are these files in? How is it they can pull in description info and the Loc files can't?

Those are POI or Points of Interests, and while the mapsource data sent to the GPS is a proprietary format... thier strangle hold is over!

maps and POI can now be made and sent to the GPS.

BUT it is quite a bit of work, and saving cache info in POI would not hold enough info for each cache and would be subject to constant change as new caches are placed and old ones archived, and you could only update the found POI(caches) from the PC not the GPS.

More rules = Less fun!

geocachingdb_button.giftexasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

The next logical question is........

When will the GPSr manufacturers start making a GPSr specifically for geocachers? I'd love a GPS that I could load all of my GPX files into (or at least the local ones)!

-stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a DSL connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

While not specifically for cachers, the Magellan Meridian family allows essentially unlimited waypoint storage, though admittedly only in chunks of 500 at a time. The first 200 will hold a comment into which software like GPSBabel will write the diff/terr and cache name, plus set the icons - it's not the full data, but it's often "enough"

While I've made some moderately studly caching trips, I haven't found the limit of 500 to be too terrible, but when I do, I just flip them in and out. At about 80 bytes each, even a lowly 32MB memory card will hold 4x as many caches as exist today on the entire planet and enough maps to tide you over for a weekend of hunting.

There are a number of combo GPS/PDA units into which you can stuff the entire cache page if that's what you want. The Garmin ique 3600 is probably the best integrated of that genre today.

What you may want to look into is spinning your gpx file before you load it to your GPS.

Within spinner you can tell it to use icons that will let you know what kind of cache it is.

eg.

ON my V i have a Geocache symbol that I use for traditional caches, I use a toll booth for micros, Hunting area for caches with TB's, Virts are senic (sp) area etc.

Also you can change the way the waypoint looks

from GCGxxx to VCGxxx VC = Virt, EC = Event, LB Letter box, XS = Micro, GC= Trad, LC = locationless, WC = web cam like that.

You can use spinner for doing all of that.

As for getting more or better discriptions, you will need to get a PDA of some sort to load up the gpx pages, then you get all the cache page info in you hand while you caching.

-Robert