GPS V, Any Recommendations

Jbpayne

I have been looking at Garmin vista and magellan platium. But recently a salesman introduced me to Garmins GPS V. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this unit and how it compares to the other two units I have mentioned?

I do not own and have never used a GPS, but extremely interesting in buying one soon. I do some hiking and camping, but thought the street mapping capabitlities of the GPS V might be pretty handy. I an also a pilot and am always interested in the altitude of any location I am at. Does the GPSV even do altitude?

Thanks for your coments!

I don't own one but I know those who do. The V should be perhaps the best one out there. Better reception than the Vista in most cases, and has the autorouting ability. The V does not have a barometric altimeter, but, as most GPS's, it will give you alitiude from the satellite fix. The vista does have a Barometric altimeter, which may be a bit better, but not by that much. The satillite fix altitude will be within about 100'.

I think the vista is a fine unit but most would choose the V first. I know little of the Magellen. I stick with Garmins myself.

4497_1400.jpg

The Garmin V is my second GPSR. Fantastic unit. I've looked at other brands and nothing comes close. When you experience the autorouting, you won't ever want to be without it. The only grumble you'll hear from owners is the smallish amount of memory and the need for loading detail maps more often that one would like to on a trip. An annoying but minor complaint.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I've only owned the Garmin III+ and the GPS V, so I can't give a comparison to the others you've mentioned; but I can say with a great deal of confidence that you will not be disappointed with the GPS V. And unless you confine your travels to areas where you know all the roads, you will not want to give up the autorouting feature once you've used it.

Worldtraveler

I have a Vista, a Meridian Gold (which is basically the same as the Platinum but without the compass/barometer) and the GPS V. My unit of choice is hands down the GPS V because it's the best all-around unit. It's 19MB of map memory is somewhat limited, especially with the new version of City Select which includes a TON of pointless (to some people) POI's (points of interest) which eat up even more the already limited 19MB. In the Los Angeles area, this is even more pronounced. Despite this drawback, I'd still choose it and recommend it as an awesome first GPSR. (Yes, I do still love my Vista. icon_biggrin.gif)

I still consider it to be the best all around receiver out there, if everything is taken into acct. It has it's drawbacks (limited 19 megs. of memory being the biggest), but the negatives are outweighed by the positives(autorouting being the biggest) There are other GPSR's I would choose for specific purposes, such as the Street Pilot 3 for strictly city navigation, or the Vista for serious back country travel (it's smaller) or one of the chartplotters for marine use. But, for an all around "do-it-all" receiver......it still can't be beat.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

I have only owned a Garmin 12XL and then I bought my Garmin V when they first came out. I love it. It has great reception and lots of options. As others I fault the limit of 19 mb of memory but if you go on a trip and need the detailed maps it's no problem if you have a laptop to load the area you need.

If you do get a Garmin V I recommend the Metro Guide USA as the detailed map of choice. It has all the esstentials but not the unnecessary fluff as the City Select series so the same areas take up much less room.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

We got the vista first and the Garmin V second. The V has a superior antenna and also, when the canopy is really thick, the V has the ability to add a amplified antenna good for about a 28db gain. The vista has a smaller antenna and no allowance for adding an external antenna. We bought the vista for backpacking first, so we were looking for features like altimiter, compass ect.

I feel the 76S is the best cache hunting GPS made once you are on site. It has all the power and antenna options of the V, plus more memory and all the options of the vista, ie, compass, altimiter ect.

But it always gets back to the autorouting of the V and the fact that not many can afford more than 1 GPSr.

As a all around GPSr, the V is it.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!