GPSMap-76s vs. eTrex Vista

JCacher

I am a newbie to the site, to GeoCaching, and to GPS in general. I have been reading and reading and have almost made my choice of receivers to buy.

I think I like all the features of the Vista, and really like the fact it tells you current speed and distance. I want to mount it on my mountain bike and kind of use it as an odometer/speedometer. The main draw back is what I've read about the patch antenna in the woods or mountains not getting good reception.

I heard that the 76s is fantastic on reception but I have not read where it could be used for my mountain biking plans. Also the 76s is $100 more.

My question is, does the patch antenna really have that much of a disadvantage over the helix and is it worth paying $100 more for the 76s. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks........

quote:
Originally posted by JCacher:

I think I like all the features of the Vista, and really like the fact it tells you current speed and distance. I want to mount it on my mountain bike and kind of use it as an odometer/speedometer. The main draw back is what I've read about the patch antenna in the woods or mountains not getting good reception.

I heard that the 76s is fantastic on reception but I have not read where it could be used for my mountain biking plans. Also the 76s is $100 more.

My question is, does the patch antenna really have that much of a disadvantage over the helix and is it worth paying $100 more for the 76s. Any input would be appreciated.

If you're going to use it on a mountain bike, you should consider the size issue. The 76 is considerably larger than the eTrex. Also, you'll have it mounted horizontally. This is the optimum orientation for the eTrex's patch antenna. Unfortunately, it's the worst orientation for a quad-helix antenna (they prefer to be held vertically).

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Trust the habitual upgrader - get the GPSmap 76S.

It's not just the antenna that's better, the barometer/altimeter is better, the screen size is more readable, you've got better control of the display options, highway page, route planning including fuel burn, tidal predictions, audiable alarms, proximity waypoints, it floats and has a greater voltage range (10 to 40 VDC I think).

I had a Venture, upgraded to a Legend and loved it so I upgraded to a Vista and I'm very disappointed with the Sight-N-Go feature and the Barometer/Altimeter. The integrated electronic compass is very helpful for finding caches.

Get the GPSmap 76S.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

Both units are good. I have a personal Vista and use a 76S at work. In trees the 76S, without a doubt, gets better reception, It also has a bigger screen, better baro features, waypoint averaging, and can take an external antenna. For me the only drawbacks of the 76S is its larger size and it takes longer to type in waypoint names. You'll be happy with both units, but the 76S is worth the extra cash.

We can't speak to the assets of the Vista because the GPS Map 76S is the only GPSr we've owned. But we can attest to the 76S's ruggedness.

Charlie (the clumsy one) was holding the 76S in his hand as he crossed a creek in North Carolina last summer. Wrong type of shoes, slippery rocks ... the next thing he knew, he was heading for the drink. He extended his arms to break his fall, and the 76S went flying through the air. The next sound was a loud THWACK as the GPSr's plastic case hit some jagged rocks. Fortunately, the water was very clear and it was easy to find the unit -- under about a foot of water.

Picked it up, dried it off, and it never skipped a beat. It's still working perfectly today, over a year later. (It does have a couple of scuff marks on the case.)

BTW, the genius was carrying a Nikon digital point-and-shoot camera in his other hand. It also ended its journey at the bottom of the creek. But unlike the 76S, the Nikon ceased to function.

We can't compare the two GPSr units because we've only owned one. But we'd definitely buy another 76S.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm still not sure which unit to buy yet, but your comments and suggestions helped weigh greatly on my decision.

I can hardly wait to get out there and find my first cache, I'll have lot's of questions about geocaching in the future and it's nice to know that there is place I can come and ask them. Thanks again.........

I have both the map76s and the vista. We like both. I enjoy the screen better on the 76 (it's larger). we have used the vista for biking but when you get into tree cover it's just like any other GPS. We use the 76 for driving in the car with the external antenna mounted to the roof of the car. I thought about mounting the external antenna to the top of my bike helmet. That should give me great reception, but then again it depends where you are bikingicon_smile.gif

GomezK

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie&Candy:

the 76S went flying through the air. The next sound was a loud _THWACK_ as the GPSr's plastic case hit some jagged rocks. Fortunately, the water was very clear and it was easy to find the unit -- under about a foot of water.

The 76S floats - how did it manage to get stuck a foot underwater?

I have the 76s. I have am ram mount for it and use it on my mountain bike and my canoe.

I wouldn't consider it too big, nor would i consider use of an e-trex series. For ME, i like the buttons right up front where I can get to them while peddling or paddling.

Your mileage may vary...

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."

I have a 76s and an etrex Legend (same as the vista but w/less memory, and no compass or altimeter). I really enjoy both units.

I love the small size and weight of the etrex. I can carry it easily in my shirt or jeans pocket, and its very easy to be discreet when using it in public (e.g. urban geocaching). On the downside, the screen is so small I have to take reading glasses along on all my adventures, which sucks majorly. (I've already lost a pair of prescription lenses this way)

The bigger screen and external antenna connection make the 76s a much better choice for using in a vehicle or airplane.

Much has been made of the patch vs quad-helix antennae. In my (admittedly short) experience it is not entirely clear-cut which works better in all situations. I think the patch is supposed to have better reception of satellites directly overhead, while the quad-helix has better reception of satellites on the horizon. I have had the 76s lose reception while up against a steep canyon wall and all the satellites on the horizon were on the "wrong" side of the canyon. I sometimes take both units caching, and I haven't noticed that either is uniformly better.

I have the Vista. For the most part I like it alot. But the goto feature when Geo-caching pretty much sucks. It will tell me to go north for 15 ft and as I start walking north it will tell me to go southwest 10 feet. As far as most of the tree covered trails I go on it will not loose the satellites except for when I really go fast on my wheeler. If moving slow no problem. If your fairly new to GPSr's then maybe save the money and go for the Vista and after a couple of years then upgrade to something at that time. Just a thought but not knowing your finances. Who knows you may hate using a GPSr

I was also told once though that the antenna on the Vista is better when you are working around cliffs???

This site has some decent info on it regarding the antennas:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/joe/gpsantennaspecs.htm

For what it's worth, I have a GPSMAP 76s, and a friend of mine has a Legend. For caching, we haven't noticed one being better than another. I love my 76S, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to put out the extra cash.

However, I think you'd be pleased with either unit...

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie&Candy:

the 76S went flying through the air. The next sound was a loud _THWACK_ as the GPSr's plastic case hit some jagged rocks. Fortunately, the water was very clear and it was easy to find the unit -- under about a foot of water.

The 76S floats - how did it manage to get stuck a foot underwater?

Don't really know, Peter. I was too busy making a fool of myself to pay much attention to the physical forces acting on the GPSr as it flew through the air and dove into the water. But when I finally collected my wits and got back to my feet, the unit was being held snugly in the crevice of a rock by the current.

The difference is huge when you're talking about quad helix to patch, i.e. etrex to GPS III+. I have never lost satellite lock on my III+ and use it through the dense forest's of lake tahoe most of the time. I used to lose signal whenever I got under a tree with the etrex. They just don't have a powerful enough antenna for foliage conditions.

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V (soon to come)

I haven't had any problem with the click stick on my Vista, but I know some people have reported that it breaks. As long as it works, I think it's better than the rocker pad on the 76 series or the GPS V, for example.

Also, the Vista is smaller in size. I use it a lot while walking and particularily running, in which case a larger GPS would be less convenient.

The third reason I have a Vista is that the 76S wasn't available at my time of purchase.

If you don't care about the size and the convenience of the click stick, the 76S seems to be technically better. Especially if your needs are of a more marine nature.

Besides, the 76S has a larger RAM memory than the Vista, which is one reason for better functions in some aspects, like with the altimeter.

Anders

I've just bought a 76s, upgrading from a GPS III. I admit to liking the feel of the Vista more in my hand, but having geek tendencies, I bought the one with the more accurate Barometer/Altimeter, external antenna connection and other bells and whistles I wanted. You can get either one, since there is a RAM mount that will really secure it well. You can always buy either on ebay, and if you don't like it, put it back up for auction.

mstaj

ps, the Vista and 76s have the same amount of memory 24MB.

I, too, am debating what to do....

I just bought a Legend, but it is going back for one of the following: Vista, V or a 76s...

From what I can tell, the 76s is almost identical to the Vista on many things: same memory (24mb), very similar size, same waterproff rating, diaplay size is almost the same (the 76s has a .5 inch wider screen, so SLIGHTLY larger)....

The big diff seems to be the type of antennae...

Then there is the V....that autorouting and onscreen direction stuff is cool....

The big question for me is pay $150 more for 6mb less memory but autorouting or buy the Vista with 24mb and no autorouting....or pay $60 more and get the 76s, with the different antennae....

Hmmmmmmmm.

quote:
Originally posted by dzavetsky:

From what I can tell, the 76s is almost identical to the Vista on many things: same memory (24mb), very similar size, same waterproff rating, diaplay size is almost the same (the 76s has a .5 inch wider screen, so SLIGHTLY larger)....

The 76 series garmins are quite a bit bigger the the eTrex series.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:

I just bought a Legend, but it is going back for one of the following: Vista, V or a 76s...

The big diff seems to be the type of antennae...

Then there is the V....that autorouting and onscreen direction stuff is cool....

The big question for me is pay $150 more for 6mb less memory but autorouting or buy the Vista with 24mb and no autorouting....or pay $60 more and get the 76s, with the different antennae....

Hmmmmmmmm.

Trust me and many others on this board... GET THE GPS V! You won't believe how nice it is. The autorouting is the essential piece! Without it, you might as well keep your Legend.

I'm telling you, you will not regret your purchase of a Garmin V. They are simply perfect IMO.

GPSDiscount is a great company to buy from too. I got my V deluxe for $407 with a free t-shirt. icon_cool.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin V

Under the enclosure, the map memory of the GPS V, the Vista and the 76S is of the same size. 32 MB, out of which 8 MB is used by the basemap in the Vista and the 76S. The difference is that the GPS V has a routable basemap, to be able to do its particular trick. That consumes another 5 MB, leaving 19 MB for the user.

These 19 MB should then hold maps that require more space for covering the same area, since they are also routable (or the whole idea with the GPS V is spoiled).

Anders

quote:

Hmmmmmmmm.

dzavetsky,

I have had a Legend for over a year and love everything about it. So, just recently I figured I'd love a Vista even more. So, I got a Vista.

Honestly compels me to say that I'm disappointed with the Vista. The altimeter works good when hiking since it is difficult to ‘hike’ far enough that you change the sea-level normalized pressure. However, when driving, the altimeter gets inaccurate and has to be re-calibrated. It has an automatic re-calibration that is better but only slightly. AND you can not display the “GPS Elevation” on the Vista’s trip computer or navigation pages but you can on the GPSmap 76S.

The electronic compass works good but the Sight-N-Go is close to worthless. Mine jumps between 3 and 5 degrees (sometimes more) when I try to set a course using the Sight-N-Go feature.

You cannot display the barometric pressure in a graphical format on the Vista but you can on the GPSmap 76S. You can however, display the ambient pressure as a graph on the Vista, but if you’re changing altitude it becomes a worthless reading.

The Vista is only better than the Legend when it comes to memory, the electronic compass and as a barometric tool when you are not changing altitudes.

The Legend is better than the Vista because it can display GPS Altitude on most screens and it does not need to be continually calibrated.

Worthless features on the Vista include “Sight-N-Go”, ambient pressure plots, and the altimeter (except when you’ve lost a satellite lock).

Get the GPSmap 76S – I wish I had

Ok, but that still means that the Visat has 24mb available for upload, and the V has 19....I was playing with Metroguide, and that seems to be a substantial amount of space to give up....I can JUST BARELY get all the maps I want for a trip from Pgh to the OBX into 20 mb....I would have room to spare on the Vista....

.......or am I reading you wrong???

DZ

quote:
Originally posted by Anders.:

Under the enclosure, the map memory of the GPS V, the Vista and the 76S is of the same size. 32 MB, out of which 8 MB is used by the basemap in the Vista and the 76S. The difference is that the GPS V has a routable basemap, to be able to do its particular trick. That consumes another 5 MB, leaving 19 MB for the user.

These 19 MB should then hold maps that require more space for covering the same area, since they are also routable (or the whole idea with the GPS V is spoiled).

Anders

To be honest, the elevation issues are less important to me than probably most of you folks...I am new to GPSing and want to use it primarily on my motorcycle and for auto road trips, and use it while walking and hiking as well....

Does anyone know if the V has "exit info" and a full-featured trip computer like the Legend??? And is it better as far as reception goes??

quote:
Originally posted by Rubberhead:

dzavetsky,

I have had a Legend for over a year and love everything about it. So, just recently I figured I'd love a Vista even more. So, I got a Vista.

Honestly compels me to say that I'm disappointed with the Vista. The altimeter works good when hiking since it is difficult to ‘hike’ far enough that you change the sea-level normalized pressure. However, when driving, the altimeter gets inaccurate and has to be re-calibrated. It has an automatic re-calibration that is better but only slightly. AND you can not display the “GPS Elevation” on the Vista’s trip computer or navigation pages but you can on the GPSmap 76S.

The electronic compass works good but the Sight-N-Go is close to worthless. Mine jumps between 3 and 5 degrees (sometimes more) when I try to set a course using the Sight-N-Go feature.

You cannot display the barometric pressure in a graphical format on the Vista but you can on the GPSmap 76S. You can however, display the ambient pressure as a graph on the Vista, but if you’re changing altitude it becomes a worthless reading.

The Vista is only better than the Legend when it comes to memory, the electronic compass and as a barometric tool when you are not changing altitudes.

The Legend is better than the Vista because it can display GPS Altitude on most screens and it does not need to be continually calibrated.

Worthless features on the Vista include “Sight-N-Go”, ambient pressure plots, and the altimeter (except when you’ve lost a satellite lock).

_Get the GPSmap 76S – I wish I had_