Uninstallation of Mapsource maps

Guest fire23

Guest fire23

Does anyone know how to uninstall Mapsource maps off of the ETrex Legend? It seems there should be an easy way to do this just incase the consumer would want to visit another area than the 10-20 maps that you can load at once. At least I hope there is icon_smile.gif

Fire

Guest Monz

I have a vista and all I have to do is re-install the basemaps and the mapsource maps are deleted as part of the process... guess it should be the same for your model

Guest Hawk-eye

Either reinstall the base maps ... or do an install from mapsource ... only don't select any maps ... and it will erase what is there and install nothing ... even gives you a little warning message before it does it.

Guest mkral

I have a III+. does this mean that you cannot access both mapsource & the built in map at the same time. Fopr instance, If I am going on a trip from Ohio to Florida, I might want local maps of Florida & Cleveland, but would still like the base map for all of the driving in between, is this possible?

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

I have a III+. does this mean that you cannot access both mapsource & the built in map at the same time. Fopr instance, If I am going on a trip from Ohio to Florida, I might want local maps of Florida & Cleveland, but would still like the base map for all of the driving in between, is this possible?

I would agree with mkral here. It would seem goofy if you have to reload your base map into the unit. I know with my old III+ (I just sold) and my new GPSMAP 76 you can chose to view the mapsource map or the base map. In fact I can chose exactly which mapsource map are hidden and which I see. This is nice if you have R&R and topo loaded for the same area. I would suspect that hidden in a menu somewhere in an option to select Base Map on/off and mapsource on/off.

mcb

Guest Hawk-eye

The base map is there and is not removed ... what is removed ... on the Vista is the "marine" file that they install at the factory ... I really don't know what it adds detail wise ... hard to see much benefit in my area when it is or isn't there. I don't know about the III or the 76. I do know on the Vista or a 12 map (which is suppose to be another clone of the III) you ... for example ... have the topo for an area ... and as you move into the next area without the topo installed you get a cross hatched border and then you're back to the basemap. On these two units there is no way (short of a hidden command) that will allow you to toggle between the two ... Garmin "ain't" saying if there is.

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 09 June 2001).]