etrex legened pros and cons

Guest Hard Slate

Guest mkral

overall, a great GPS. Very compact, I really liked it, except for the fact thiat it lost signals too easily. I was geocaching in some very heavy woods and lost my signal after 90 minutes of hiking, within 350 feet of the cache. Never did find the cache. So I sold it and got myself a III+. I haven't been able to get back to that specific cache, so I can't compare the 2 directly, but the III+ just seems to pick up a signal where the legend couldn't.

If you are intent on an etrex, the legend is a great one to get, as the included basemap is extremely helpful with driving in unfamiliar territory.

Hope that helps.

Guest jeremy

My wife has the Legend, and I have the basic yellow eTrex.

Good unit. With all eTrex units, the lack of external antenna and internal intenna does make the satellite locks harder to acquire, especially compared to some of the other units like the III+

However there are ways to counteract it. For instance if you leave the unit on while hiking in the woods it's easier to maintain a lock.

Since I haven't played with any other unit, my experience between different models have been pretty limited. I do think that to make a good comparison you'd have to take two different units on the same hunt at the same time to really compare them.

However, at this point I'd suggest the eTrex Legend as the optimal "middle of the road" product, where you have a limited budget but not *that* limited.

Jeremy

Guest makaio

When I lost my 12XL (grumble) I chose the Legend and have been extremely happy with it.

I got it from 4x4Books.com for just over $200 (comes with PC interface cable). Page says $249, but if you go through order process (add to cart) it rings up at $209.