Comparison of OziExplorer and ExpertGPS?

ill admit that i dont use expertgps a whole lot but oziexplorer is one of the most complete gis packages ive used. to my mind it beats out fugawi, gtmpro, turatec? and the only short coming ive noticed is the inability to do layering.

any specfic questions, or are you only soliciting opinions?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

I haven't gotten to play with ExpertGPS that much. I use OziExplorer quite a bit with work. I am a ground crew member for a hotair ballon and we us Ozi maps with WPTS and use it with GPS tracking. It makes chasing easy, and helps a good bit with the compotition. I am learing new stuff everyday with it. I is kinda hard at first but once you get the feel of it it just flows.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Chiming in on the ExpertGPS side. I'll preface this by saying that I've not used OziExplorer at all so I can't compare the features.

I find ExpertGPS great for Caching and other GPS activities. A few of the features that you get when you buy ExpertGPS (vs. using the free EasyGPS) is the ability to download various scales of topomaps and aerial imagry. You can also calibrate your own scanned maps and use them as well. For a little bit more, you can get the code to unlock the ArcInfo Shapefile export capability.

Hope this helps in your decision.

FINALLY!!! Something useful I can do with that Geography degree. :-D

Ive used many programs and i find ozi and touratech are the best.Although touratech is expensive you dont have to scan or calibrate maps....u buy them.It also has the capability to use maps from other programs....it can also replay tracks that u made showing speed and distance.as the arrow moves u can adjust the speed......very cool....i got ozi for free through a friend. When i have money im definately buying touratech...less hassle if you are a person limited to play time icon_cool.gif

May the angels fly with us down the beaten path!

quote:
Originally posted by G.P.S Trackers(Romeo):

Ive used many programs and i find ozi and touratech are the best.Although touratech is expensive you dont have to scan or calibrate maps....u buy them.It also has the capability to use maps from other programs....it can also replay tracks that u made showing speed and distance.as the arrow moves u can adjust the speed......very cool....i got ozi for free through a friend. When i have money im definately buying touratech...less hassle if you are a person limited to play time icon_cool.gif

May the angels fly with us down the beaten path!

touratech is expensive? i believe that the cost here is only $179cd, marginally more than ozi, and about the same if one buys the 3d addon. but i agree, ozi and touratech are very good gis packages but tyheir capabilities are beyond what most people need.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'