Has anyone submersed their Legend?

Hi all

So I just got my new Garmin Legend yesterday and have been having fun figuring it out. One of the features that I found attractive was that it's waterproof. I had hoped to take it out on my HobieCat 16, which is not exactly the driest ride on the water, and every so often ends up in an inverted mode.

Anyway, upon reading the manual, I find that the Legend's electronics are waterproof but the battery compartment is not. I'm no electrical engineer, but it seems to me that it might not be a good thing for the battery compartment to get filled with water while the GPS is on.

So my questions are: Has anyone had their Legend go in the drink while on? What happened to it? Also - did it float?

I plan to keep the GPS in a clear drybag, but I'd like to know what to expect should the GPS get wet somehow anyway.

Thanks in advance for any available information!

Mike

(of the HobieTramps team)

ill first say that i have no experience with the legend but have done plenty of jetsking, snowmobiling and various other activities that test the durability of my mag 315.

if your unit craps out after being submersed your warrenty may be void, the battery cover is probably described as splash proof. having said that in all likelyhood there is probably no harm in taking your unit on the water, my mag 315 has the same limitations and has been in the drink several times with no ill effects. your idea of a bag is a good one, and should protect your unit from short immersions if need be.

I was talking to a local salesguy that told me a story about the yellow e-trex and a Garmin rep. As the story was told to me, this salesman asked the rep if Garmin would garantee that the e-trex was submersible. The rep apparently said yes. The sales proceeded to remove a unit from the sales case and dropped it into a bucket of water. The end results, one dead gps. Like I said it was a story told to me a couple of years ago.

Check the battery compartment for where the wires go into the rest of unit. If there's an opening around the wires, it's not waterproof.

Byron

If you carefully read the waterproof rating level for an Etrex Legend, it is rated for a ONE minute maximum submersion time. The water in battery compartment would not be as much of a problem in fresh water as in the ocean. Elecrochemical reactions, and the resulting corrosion of the battery terminals, would likely occur even in fresh water if the water was allowed to remain in the battery compartment.

So, remove the batteries and dry it out if it gets wet!

I bought an Etrex Legend over a Lowrance GlobalMap because the Lowrance waterproof rating translates to "raindrops can fall on the faceplate".

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Weather its water proof of not, the real question you should be asking is how deep can it go in the H2O for how long. A friend has a ham radio that is rated at 5 feet for 30 min at which point water MAY enter the unit. The person who posted the question should not worry too much about his unit if its attached to the mast, unless you go ALL the way over.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by Scook:

If you carefully read the waterproof rating level for an Etrex Legend, it is rated for a ONE minute maximum submersion time.

Not sure where you saw that, but it's not correct. IPX7 (which all the eTrex units are built to) specifies an immersion time of 30 minutes.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_1400.gif

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.w6hy.org

KF6VFH

quote:
Originally posted by HobieTramps:

...I plan to keep the GPS in a clear drybag, but I'd like to know what to expect should the GPS get wet somehow anyway....

Good idea! While rated as waterproof to 1 meter for 30 min, it is not designed to work under water or float. Garmin advises drying out the battery compartment before reuse.

I took an unexpected swim while duck hunting in salt water last year. I had a Garmin eTrex in my pocket when this happened. Anyway, the unit was fine and even continued to work (after I got out of the water). When I got home I opened the battery compartment and cleaned it with fresh water and a rag sprayed with WD40. No problems since.

Not personal experience, but when I paddled with Martin Strel, one of the kayakers told me he had an eTrex lashed to his kayak early in the trip. During one point, they experienced heavy rain and lots of waves. After that, the eTrex didn't work.

I don't have the details, but I got the impression that the unit was not powered up during the flooding, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I encouraged him to contact Garmin for a replacement or repair, since the unit should sure be able to withstand what he described. I don't know if he will, but I'd bet if he did, they'd fix it for him.

Jamie

G'day.

I have an eTrex Vista & one hot day while out

dirt bike riding we stopped to cool off at

a small mountain stream.

I realised that I still had the GPS in my shirt

pocket after I had been lying in the water cooling

off for about 10 mins. The GSP survived. icon_cool.gif

I didn't, half an hour later I hit a rock &

busted my head open. I needed 6 stitches. icon_frown.gif

The GPS also survived the fall. icon_smile.gif

Catchya,

Cliff.

Perhaps appropriate to remind some of you (before you start giving your GPS swimming lessons) about that the IP 67 rating according to IEC 529 specifies a steady state condition. That is, the unit under test is submersed very gently, then laid still under water for the specified time.

Throwing the unit into as little as 0.1 m of water can easily create hydrodynamic effects that exceeds these experienced by a steady "sleep" at the depth of one meter.

Anders

From what I understand the Garmin gps units rated waterproof by IPX7 standards have a small diaphraghm to maintain equal pressure inside the sealed unit. After 30 minutes there is a slight change that this diaphraghm (which is desinged to pass air only) could begin to leak a small amount of water.

My sons have a Legend and yellow eTrex which they dunk in the water all the time with no problems. Anytime it gets a little dirty they dunk them in the pool.

guy.gif

I own a Zodiac inflatable, I have a 176c, & Vista

that I use out on the water, on several excursions

I've ended up with my gps's submurged with the battery cover off, I put fresh AA's in & they work

fine. No leaks. Garmins hold up well. Their waterproofing has saved my units many times on rough water with a small craft. It suck when the batteries go dead on the water at night though.

I was lost for 4 hrs, 1/2 mile out at night. Now

I have a 12vdc plug. Why can't someone waterproof

cellphones?? Garmin?? icon_cool.gif