Garmin Windshield Mount

The RAM mounting system is top notch. I doubt a better system will ever be made. I use the suction cup mount in my truck and a bolt on type on my motorcycle. Both are near bulletproof.

one thing you cant tell by looking is most of the ball and socket parts are solid aluminum, the only plastic bits are the ones that actually touch your gps, (and of course the suction cup and the "friction lining" of the ball joints are some kind of rubber)

It is expandable, they have a bracket for almost any piece of hardware to adapt to their ball and socket system.

I certainly hope the RAM mount is better 'cos the Garmin windshield mount is terrible!!! I ordered it for an uneven dash and not one - not two - but three times it just released from the windshield totally freaking me out. No more - back to the beanbag for me - not wanting to hurt my GPS V...might try the RAM mount - but the Garmin sucks!! Rather, it does not!!!!

I wouldn't waqnt to steer you wrong but the RAM suction cup mount also released by itself from time to time. However if I clean the windshield from any dirt and really take the time to set it right, (even using a little spit)the suction cup will hold.

Since I haven't used the Garmin mount, I can't give you a comparison regarding holding power differences.

Alan

I have use suction cup mounts for item other than GPSr's. Generally, if you use a bit of vaseline or KY jelly under the suction cup, they are almost impossible to get off. (why am I getting so turned on?) But truly, I would give this a try.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

I also had a hard time deciding how to attach my Ram Mount so I could use it in my 97 Ford F-150 and in my wife’s 93 Caravan. I took a 2” PVC end cap, attaching the flat base of the Ram Mount to it. My M-315 now fit great in my cup holder in my truck. In my wife’s van, I made a square wooden base about 4 inches, drilled out a hold matching the size of the PVC end cap to fit in. I did have a little trouble with it being a little top heavy, so I attached a beanbag to it for weight. It sits fine on the dashboard.

I also have the ram suction mount for my car (u-bolt for quad and bicycle). I haven't had any problem with it losing suction but then I have a carpeted dash cover and rest the gps (etrex vista) on that as well so the mount isn't taking the full weight of the gps. I have no complaints and would recommend Ram mounts to anyone for gps/radios/phones.

Eric

I have a u-bolt connected to my walking pole. When I leave my car to go on foot, I simply switch the Ram mount from the suction cup mounted on the winfshield to the u bolt and off I go. The Vista stays orented in a horizontal position - good for its patch antenna. Plus I can jam the pole in the ground letting the Vista stabilize for better reception under tree cover.

Alan