Garmin GPS V Wrist Strap Install & Antenna Removal

I emailed Garmin support these questions over a week ago and haven't gotten a response yet. I'm sure my luck will be better here! 1.) How/where do you connect the wrist strap to the GPS V. The only place I can see would be the D-ring locking mechanism for the battery compartment, but that would be LAME because the battery compartment could come open in the field. The manual mentions nothing about the wrist strap except that you get one...

2.) How do you remove the antenna. The manual says to turn it to a 45 degree angle to the GPS V and gently pull. There are 4 different positions the antenna can be in and be considered to be at a 45 degree angle to the GPS V. None work here. Need a better explanation. Thanks...

Here is the answer (from sci.geo.satellite-nav)

Message 2 in threadFrom: Art (ybike@hotmail.com)

Subject: Re: How to Detatch GPS V antenna

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-navView this article onlyDate: 2001-11-13 19:01:37 PST

If you turn the antenna straight down (I think it is down, I don't have it right here) and look at the back where it connects you will see a tab and a notch that you line up as you wiggle it out.

About the Wrist Strap, yes, the D-ring is the place although I won't put it there.

I have had my wrist strap connected to the D-ring for 6 months now with no problems whatsoever. Granted I don't keep it around my wrist at all times but as long as no violent twisting is involved it should be fine.

I had similar problems trying to take the antenna off. It has been a while now but my recollection was that the 45 degree issue was roughly correct (can't recall which direction though) and that it took a long time to work it off. I have an external antenna, but really used it once thus far.

Hope this helps.

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

like bigcall, I have been using the strap connected to the metal battery cover ring for about six months with no issues - I hang the GPS off my back pack strap when I need to use both hands to climb. I am thinking of replacing the strap with a length of para cord though for additional security.

The antenna is much easier to remove/install if the BNC male connector on the unit and the antenna female connector and the plastic locking tabs are lubricated with silicone spray from a car parts store. This will prevent long term wear and abrasion on the connectors and plastic alignment tabs. Does not affect the plastic parts or signal transmission to the unit. need to respray every few months.

WDP