Meridian Platinum & GPSMAP 76S ... Final Choice.... Price / Availability?

I've posted a few questions lately on various units for my 1st GPS purchase.

I've narrowed it down to the 76S and the Platinum.

* What's the best price & service on each of these units?

* In regards to the 76S, what availability/ship dates have you been quoted?

* If it were you and money was not an object between the two (after adding memory to the platinum, the price is about the same), which would you buy???

My uses would included: car road trips (not so much city navigation), canoeing, biking, hiking, geocaching, snowmobiling and general fun.

Thanks!

Check www.theGPSstore.com for price and availability. They are a great store. They do not have the absolute best prices, but they do have great service, and their employees have even been known to prowl these forums...

Both units are great, and you can't go wrong with either. The question is: is 24MB enough memory for you. If so, the 76S is awesome. If not, the Meridian is great.

-----

Any similarity between my opinions and reality is entirely coincidental.

--Harrkev

I recieved my Platnum last thursday. I ordered it in the middle of March. I did not find any of the higher end units ready to ship.This week I had enough money to buy a 32 Bit card and in a couple more weeks I will spring for the map send topo. For now I can do everything I want to do with it (I have Delorme's topo USA) it's just that everything must be entered manually.

I had meeting in Minneapolis today that afforded me the opportunity to stop by a local retailer to compare 1st hand the 76Map, GPS V & Platinum (Gold).

1st off the V is dadgum cute and a real bang for the buck, but not quite what I'm after (see above).

2nd (IMHO) the Garmin GPSMAP 76 is better built, has a more intuitive interface, is more user friendly and has a better display than the Platinum (or Gold). Again, only my opinion!!! The Meridians are a nice GPS with awesome memory capability. I simply like the Garmim 76 series more and will wait to buy a 76S for the main reason of getting at least the 24Mb of storage.

Anybody have an update on shipping for the 76S?

Now I can't wait!!!!!!!

Thanks to those who've helped me along the way and to those who've patiently listened! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

I had meeting in Minneapolis today that afforded me the opportunity to stop by a local retailer to compare 1st hand the 76Map, GPS V & Platinum (Gold).

1st off the V is dadgum cute and a real bang for the buck, but not quite what I'm after (see above).

2nd (IMHO) the Garmin GPSMAP 76 is better built, has a more intuitive interface, is more user friendly and has a better display than the Platinum (or Gold). Again, only my opinion!!! The Meridians are a nice GPS with awesome memory capability. I simply like the Garmim 76 series more and will wait to buy a 76S for the main reason of getting at least the 24Mb of storage.

Anybody have an update on shipping for the 76S?

Now I can't wait!!!!!!!

Thanks to those who've helped me along the way and to those who've patiently listened! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif