Mag Sportrak Pro Opinions

It's a nice unit. The reviews I've read have all been quite complimentary.

http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html

It has a nice size/weight. The battery cover is a little annoying, but it's merely annoying; not terrible. Reception is great. It's very much like Meridian Gold except in a smaller form factor and without the SD memory expandability.

What specifically is important to you?

Mainly interested in Geocaching, but some vehicle use and a little boat use. Like I said I have an original 2000 (6 years + old) and it loses the signal more than it has it, plus it eats batteries!

I am not sure if I would use the removeable memory of the gold....what do you use it for?

If you have a route, a set of geocache waypoints, and a set of benchmark waypoints (for example) all loaded in, they tend to clutter things up a lot. The SD card gives you a place to save those waypoint files and load them in as needed. Also the larger capacity of expandable memory allows for larger and more numerous detail maps.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Had STP for 6 months, mainly for hiking, some routing.

Have neoprene case and built an external battery pack for extended use (and now never have to open battery compartment - leave a pair of alkalines in there for backup).

It would be nice to have a method of saving multiple tracks but that's the only deficiency I've noted (OK, and more than 30 WPs for Routes but multiple Routes are workable)

Mark

It's my first GPS, and I don't have any basis for comparison, so take this with a grain of salt.

I just got a SporTrak Pro about 3 weeks ago and I love it. So far the only thing it doesn't have that I'd want is a connection for an external antenna, which might be nice for use in the car. Also, while I wouldn't say that the manual sucks, it could be better.

But aside from those two minor nitpicks, I am ecstatically pleased with mine.

Scott

Here are a few pics of my ST Pro and Meridian mounted high on the windshield, behind the mirror, under the roof(no moon roof). This is our normal travel position for the ST Pro; the Meridian usually sits next to the drivers side pillar, out of the way but easily reachable. My wife uses the Pro and rotates it in her direction. No problems EVER of receiving signal. As you can see, the sat lock is good on both, getting almost all sats that were available at the time. No WAAS yet as I had just turned them on after a few days being off.

PS--Any anecdotal evidence of poor performance of the Magellan mount is probably due to improper mounting technique, like starting with a clean windshield. This is how the mount should be configured when possible, Magellan advertising pictures to the contrary.

And there is nothing better than being able to instantly mount and dismount the GPSr's without having to jump through power connection hoops! It's automatic with these mounts.

don

86451_1500.jpg

86451_1400.jpg

86451_1600.jpg

Hey Cachetrotters -

I have been considering one of those windshield mounts, but have wondered how stable they are. Have you ever had any trouble with it falling down? What about when you go to press buttons while it is in the mount? Do you have to be careful not to disturb it?

Thanks!

Case