76S.... waiting....

I placed my order yesterday for a 76S from The GPS Store and now can't wait for it to arrive.

I lamented between the V & Platinum, but in the end the MAP76 & 76S won out.

As these units start to show up in people's mail boxes, I'd be interested in hearing peoples experiences to shorten the learning curve for everyone (well at least mine, since this will be my 1st GPS)

Waiting...... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Growley:

I just got off the phone with a rep from "The GPS Store". They received a shipment of approximately 100 76S's today and will be applying all those to advance orders. Start watching your mail next week. icon_smile.gif

I missed this shipment (as i just ordered earlier this week) but they indicated I was "very" close to the top of their list for the next shipment in a week or (hopefully not) two.

I have a long road trip and a trip to the BWCA in early May, I'd really like to have this unit and some time to get familiar with it prior to these trips!!!!

Still Waiting icon_rolleyes.gif

Got mine today. Works great! Walked down to the waterfront to calibrate the Altimeter. Shows 525' here on the 32nd floor.

quote:
Originally posted by lansink5mn:

I placed my order yesterday for a 76S from The GPS Store and now can't wait for it to arrive.

As these units start to show up in people's mail boxes, I'd be interested in hearing peoples experiences to shorten the learning curve for everyone (well at least mine, since this will be my 1st GPS)

quote:
Originally posted by Us 5 Camp:

I am looking to upgrade from an older GPSr. I have read all I can about the GPS V, Meridian Platinum, and the GPS map76.

I'm looking for antenna sensativity and quick sattilite aquisition. You can't find that in the manufacturers specs.

I have a map330 so the Meridian would use the software I'm used to.

I'm always interested in other users opinions.

The one I'm replacing is a Global map100.

If your curious the map100 has a very poor antenna. It loses the signal all the time. While the map100 and the map330 are being used side by side the map100 will read up to a hundred yards away. icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

Why did you choose 76S?

* I was mainly comparing 76S, Platinum & V

* I didn't choose V because I routing isn't that big of a deal to me and I wanted a unit that floats. I also didn't care for the external antenna. However, it is a neat little GPS.

* I chose the 76S over the Plantinum because: I liked the display resolution much better. I found the firmware more user friendly; I liked the basemap function better (such as exit numbers w/ info, etc); The menus though similar were more intuative to me; overall "I just liked it bette".

* The main draw of the Platinum for me was the 128Mb expansion capacity. In the end 24Mb is a very respectable number and the other features more than won out over the memory issue.

Good Luck!

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on June 24, 2002 at 01:33 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cache-potato:

I ordered mine in FEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from advancedgps.com. They don't expect first shipment untill next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's too late for me.....I have began screaming at wife and kids and kicking dog. need.....to.....medicate..............

sad2.gif

well last week came and went...still waiting

11902_900.gif

well last week came and went...still waiting

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/11902_900.gif

CachePotato

I can't even imagine how anxious you must be. I would like to see how the people who could afford this coool new gpsr like them. It is like watching someone open a christmas gift even if it isn't yours it is still so much fun to watch them play and have fun with their new toy. Please pass on the joy when you get it. I feel your pain and can hardly wait until you get yours. Soon I hope.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Just got my 76s from the UPS man on Friday. Very cool stuff.

It's a little less intuitive than the little yellow I've been using for over a year. I guess I'll have to RTFM. icon_wink.gif

I did find a Geodash with it on Saturday, and the mapping feature was really cool. Only problem is that the GPS now now longer fits wedged between my horizontal crossbar and the top of the steering wheel like this...

3fUCy1KxTHRlhBuSXR0kNYEHaU0WiPyP00A0.jpg

I've got a fairly nice car (<1 year old) and don't really want to ruin the dash with adhesives for a mount. Anyone have any suggestions?

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I've been giving the MAP76S some thought myself. I love my MAP76 & the extra memory would be a plus.As far as a mount, is there anywhere on the dash or another area where you could fabricate a mounting plate of some sort. It worked out great for me. But my dash had a recess that was perfect.

icon_biggrin.gif

1774_600.jpg

[This message was edited by Gimpy on April 29, 2002 at 11:09 AM.]

Made it out of aluminum plate & just the weight of it keeps it secure in its location. I've also added the mount for my Garmin V right next to it. That way, I don't have to switch the V to off road to get distance from the road to cache/minutewar point. The V autoroutes me to the area & the MAP76 gives me distance from the road. The design also allows for connecting the external antenna to both at the same time. I've got the suction cup plate for the Garmin 27C antenna up in the corner of the windshield for the MAP76 & by it's side, is the suction cup mount for the V antenna. I can also use my III Plus in the V mount if I choose & have the RAM mount for my eMap which I can use in place of the MAP76. The III PLus can use the cable extension antenna mount from the V & the eMap also takes the 27C external. All depends on my gps preference at the time. Works out great.

1774_600.jpg

[This message was edited by Gimpy on April 29, 2002 at 11:11 AM.]

http://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm

Ram mount has some suction cup mounts that will stick to the windshield and wont leave any permanent marks. I have a ram mount for my mtn bike and the quality seems great. Have fun with your new toy! icon_wink.gif

ps that picture seems to be of a ram mount, just the bolt down kind.

[This message was edited by Yak Man on April 29, 2002 at 10:40 AM.]

I replaced my eMap with the 76S. It came in 4/24/02. It is great. Does very well under thick tree cover. Got me to within 8 feet of a cache. If this is your 1st Gps suggest you buy 4 re-chargeable's. Read your quick start manual. Make sure understand how to intialize correctly. Once you do this put the unit in the Simulator mode and just go through the manual page by page. I spent 4 days and still learning. I had no problems down loading or up-loading from Map Source.The extra memory 24MB is a real plus for routes and tracking. I have to give it a 10.

[This message was edited by Scrapman on May 01, 2002 at 11:33 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Us 5 Camp:

The GPS Store (great folks!!!!) just called.... the recieved 70+ 76S' today and mine will be at my door by friday at the latest!!!!!!!!!

GPS' are like wood turning lathes, the main machine (GPS, Lathe) is just the beginning. All the accessories really add up.

76S, Topo CD's, 76 Case, 12v adapter & shipping, just over 5 bills.... whew! There goes a lot of "Mad Money" icon_biggrin.gif

I ordered my 76S on Wed. from The GPS Store it arrived Friday with all the accessories. I cancelled my pre-order with Advanced GPS on Wed. They Kept extending their ship date, they failed to reply to my emails and phone call, and they removed their phone number from the web page.

Now that the new toy, ..uh, tool is in my hot little hands, I have found the trip computer is the coolest thing at first glance. It gives both horizontal and vertical trip info. The barometric altimeter is dead on so far. I calibrated it at a USGS benchmark and have since changed the batteries twice and recalibrated at a couple of street intersections that had measured elevations on my topo map. I then returned to the known benchmark and the readout was within 0-2 feet! Excellent! (My III+ has always read 40' + high)

The compass calibrated easily on a known flat surface. It seems a bit touchy about being held VERY level.

I have tranfered my waypoints and it took 35 minutes to copy 17MB of Topo maps into it.

Now I am ready to take it out with my III+ into the woods and see how they compare on sattelite reception.

I pre-ordered my 76 S in March. They advertised they would hold billing on my AMEX card until shipment time and they advertised free FEDEX. They hit my AMEX the day after I ordered and as of today there is no delivery information. I have cancelled the order and noftified AMEX of this company's unreliability .....BEWARE of Advanced GPS!

quote:
Originally posted by Marc G.:

I ordered my 76S on Wed. from The GPS Store it arrived Friday with all the accessories. I cancelled my pre-order with Advanced GPS on Wed. They Kept extending their ship date, they failed to reply to my emails and phone call, and they removed their phone number from the web page.

Cancelled? Cancelled? I have three phone numbers for them and after multitudes of phone calls have yet to speak to A SOUL. Forget getting a reply via email. Buddy at work having the same problems on a Vista order that they said was IN STOCK!! Going now to see if I can't knock their rating down on Bizrate.com BTW they billed my credit card and haven't produced squat...much less a tracking number.

update....the people at advanced must read the forums..i got email notification of a tracking number at 4:36 pm this evening....happy that it's FINALLY on its way

11902_900.gif

[This message was edited by cache-potato on May 11, 2002 at 08:57 PM.]

here is what the better business people have to say.

http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsbroker1/C%3A/Inetpub/wwwroot/SouthlandReport/default.htm?hCompID=13155800&hAKAID=1&hAddrID=1

I also ordered from them and canceled my order but they shipped it anyway. I refused it when it got here.

and I cant call them. and ya your right forget email.

there no good im calling my credit card company and im getting my money back.

im never ordering from them again

thanks Jason