Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest The 19th

eTrex shuts itself off

Recommended Posts

Guest The 19th

I have had an eTrex Legend for about 3 weeks now, and it's been working great. Though one thing that I'm concerned about is that last Saturday, the unit kept shutting off by itself while sitting on the dashboard. It didn't occur while I was holding it and cache-hunting, only while I had it in the car. I tried reseating the batteries that were in there, and even putting new ones in. As far as I could tell it didn't affect the issue as it shut off while on my way to one of the caches, and twice on my way home. It wasn't jammed in between anything that may have "accidentally" been holding the power button. Strangely enough, it didn't occur on Sunday at all. Has anyone else had something similar with any of the eTrex series?

Share this post


Link to post
Guest topografix

I had the identical problem with a yellow eTrex. By my observations, it only shut off on the map page. Garmin tech support told me to return it. I upgraded to an eTrex Venture, and haven't had any problems since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Elwood

i had the problem 32 days after i bought my vista and returned it for a new one, no problems since (knock on wood) Elwood

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Iron Chef

I've been having that problem as well with my Venture. Like others, I've written tech support and 2 weeks later they tell me that it needs to be factory serviced. :~(

 

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

I had the identical problem with a yellow eTrex. By my observations, it only shut off on the map page. Garmin tech support told me to return it. I upgraded to an eTrex Venture, and haven't had any problems since then.


 

I'm very sure that every time it did shut off, it was on the Map page. I would glance at it every now and then while driving, one moment it would be tracking along guiding me to the next cache, the next it's blank. Hmm... looks like I'll need to contact Garmin... icon_frown.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

I had the identical problem with a yellow eTrex. By my observations, it only shut off on the map page. Garmin tech support told me to return it. I upgraded to an eTrex Venture, and haven't had any problems since then.


 

I'm very sure that every time it did shut off, it was on the Map page. I would glance at it every now and then while driving, one moment it would be tracking along guiding me to the next cache, the next it's blank. Hmm... looks like I'll need to contact Garmin... icon_frown.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Prime Suspect

There was a shutdown problem with the Vista, but it was corrected by simply downloading and installing the latest version of the unit's operating system. Check the Garmin site for updates before mailing your unit in for repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Iron Chef

It is possible for a unit to have the problem though no matter what version of the software you may have installed according to Garmin tech support. This is because it may be a hardware problem and not something with the software. Then again different problems for different units and software.

 

Your milage may vary. ;~)

 

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest The 19th

The first thing I did when I got the unit was to update to the latest Firmware... also to test the PC cable. icon_smile.gif

 

I did call Garmin yesterday morning, and after explaining the situation, the tech support agent explained that 1) If the batteries lost contact for a split second, the unit would shut off. (highly unlikely since it happened in three instances, with two sets of batteries) or 2) I would have to send in the unit. I just told him that I would continue to monitor it since I don't use my Legend too much during the week.

 

I just hope it's something minor like a loose connection or software issue, and not some design flaw across the whole product line.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest The 19th

The first thing I did when I got the unit was to update to the latest Firmware... also to test the PC cable. icon_smile.gif

 

I did call Garmin yesterday morning, and after explaining the situation, the tech support agent explained that 1) If the batteries lost contact for a split second, the unit would shut off. (highly unlikely since it happened in three instances, with two sets of batteries) or 2) I would have to send in the unit. I just told him that I would continue to monitor it since I don't use my Legend too much during the week.

 

I just hope it's something minor like a loose connection or software issue, and not some design flaw across the whole product line.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest AngstMonger

I had this problem recently with my Summit. After putzing around with it, I found I could duplicate the problem. Here was the situation for me. I had created and activated a route comprising 50 waypoints (the maximum)... When on the Map Page, I could make the unit shut off without fail by downsizing the Map Scale to 200 feet (the minimum). I'm not sure what the exact combination of factors is that results in the shutdown, but as I said, I could force it to do so every time. I haven't had the problem at all otherwise. I have emailed Garmin tech support, but have yet to hear from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest broek

On wednesday I upgraded my software version from 2.24 to 2.29. And suddenly my gps started telling me every now and then it would turn of in 30 seconds when I have it plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter, which is an official Garmin. Also I have installed a magnetic phone holder on which I placed the GPS during driving. Before these modifications I didn't experience this problem. I tried to use the unit without the magnetic holder and I still had the shut-down problem though less frequent.

 

Is this problem due to software or due to the magnetic field, or can it even be my adapter is crooked, the red LED is always on during operation.

 

Has anyone else experienced this problem so far?

 

Sincerely,

 

Gerard Broek

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by broek:

On wednesday I upgraded my software version from 2.24 to 2.29. And suddenly my gps started telling me every now and then it would turn of in 30 seconds when I have it plugged into the cigarette lighter adapter, which is an official Garmin. Also I have installed a magnetic phone holder on which I placed the GPS during driving. Before these modifications I didn't experience this problem. I tried to use the unit without the magnetic holder and I still had the shut-down problem though less frequent.

 

Is this problem due to software or due to the magnetic field, or can it even be my adapter is crooked, the red LED is always on during operation.

 

Has anyone else experienced this problem so far?

 

Sincerely,

 

Gerard Broek


 

This is actually kinda common. I have the same problem with my Venture. The problem as far as I can guess is that the unit likes to be turned on before being plugged into the car adapter, otherwise it doesnt always begin to suck power from the car. Also if you did do it this way then it might be the other problem which is if the current is interrupted for some reason (rough car start, old battery, etc...) then if the unit stops getting current then it goes into auto-shut-off in 30 seconds unless you press a button. This happens to me all the time, but if you're gentle and just check the gps every once and a while you should be able to make sure that it stays on when you want it to. Then again there might be another problem out that that is completely seperate from what I have been experiencing.

 

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by AngstMonger:

I had this problem recently with my Summit. After putzing around with it, I found I could duplicate the problem. Here was the situation for me. I had created and activated a route comprising 50 waypoints (the maximum)... When on the Map Page, I could make the unit shut off without fail by downsizing the Map Scale to 200 feet (the minimum). I'm not sure what the exact combination of factors is that results in the shutdown, but as I said, I could force it to do so every time. I haven't had the problem at all otherwise. I have emailed Garmin tech support, but have yet to hear from them.


 

Just a warning, Garmin tech support takes forever to get around to answering e-mail. I sent in a question for them (about the problem that I had here with the Venture turning off) and it took them 2.5 weeks to get back to me.

 

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...