Topo map suggestions needed

juiceman

I would like your opinions on topo maps.

I have heard good things before about National Geographic TOPO! but am leaning towards the Delorme TopoUSA 4.0 because it covers the whole U.S. instead of just one state and he has the ultra cool 3D imaging and a few other features that seem interesting.

What do ya'll think?

Any reason to not get the Delorme software?

Anyone else currently using it?

Thanks in advance!

Topo USA® 4.0

National Geographic TOPO!

If Topo USA 4 is anything like Topo USA 3, stay away...at least if you are interested in any degree of accuracy. They do NOT use USGS 7.5 maps, thats why they can fit the whole USA on less disks that National Geographic Topo or Maptech uses to get one state.

The detail sucks and there are trails, lakes and roads that are missing, lakes are made up of straight lines (ever see a square sided lake?)...I realize that the USGS maps aren't perfect, but they are WAY better then Topo USA...I complained about missing lakes, trails and roads in my area and was told that they would look into it, if I wanted it corrected I would have to buy Topo 4, even then they wouldn't say if the items I mentioned were fixed.

I would recommend either Terrain Navigator by Maptech or the National Geographic program...perhaps my favorite feature of the NG Topo is mapXchange, It allows you to add trails, roads and other features that others have added, updated trails, new roads, back country hikes and information that is not on any other map. Users download GPS tracks, way-points, etc and you can install these in your program..

Check it out, it's one of the best features in any map program I have ever seen (I own Topo USA3, Terrain Navigator and NG Topo)

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/searchnew.cfm

See what trails are available for your area.

If anyone has the new Topo 4, would you check to see if they now show Manzanita Lake, in Lassen National Park, I keep asking Delorme if it's in the new version and I have yet to get a response.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

[This message was edited by mtnsteve on December 11, 2002 at 01:40 PM.]

I have NG Topo for the Northeast states and enjoy it a lot. But keep in mind you can print out the USGS 24000 topo of the area where the cache is by clicking on the Topozone link on the cache page. I've done this when I visited Florida on vacation and wasn't going to buy NG Topo for FL just for a visit.

ALso keep in mind that the USGS quads are very old in some cases. Florida where you live has major cahnges due to housing construction and the topo maps haven't caught up yet.

Alan

Ok, you guys have me leaning toward the NG TOPO! now.

I failed to mention in my original post that I live in Florida. Since it is flat and woods there is not much for reference points (i.e. mountains),

so I need all the trail info I can get. Of course there are still some light elevation changes. (sink holes,etc).

I will be obviously using the maps for geocaching but even more so for hunting,hiking, and just flat out exploring.

The guy at Delorme said they also sell a product similar to NG that is just the state and it uses USGS maps but he thought the 4.0 would be more updated and accurate as it uses info from a variety of sources.(whatever that means)

I am a little concerned that I will not understand what I am looking at without the 3D capability since I have never really understood how to read a topo map and even if I did I would think the 3D would make it easier. I think the 2D shaded maps on the NG would help me a little but I don't know if it would be enough.

Delorme has a 30 day return policy so I, or someone else, out to check it out.

I haven't heard from anyone who has the Delorme Topo 4.0 yet. Anyone out there?

Thanks to all who posted! icon_biggrin.gif

Please keep the comments coming!

NG Topo does use a 3D shading technique that works really well for deciphering the topo lines. If you are concerned with roads and POI, then I have to admit, Topo USA 4 will probably have more current information. If you are using your map program to find your way around the woods, swamps or mountains then the other programs might be a better choice.

Here are two examples of the same area, one with NG Topo and another with Topo USA 3 ..... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291001407&code=4148567&mode=invite

NOTE...I tried everything I could to get it so all you would have to do is click on the link, but it seems they insist you "sign up" icon_rolleyes.gifbefore you can see the photos, I am still trying to get around this..These didn't come out as well as the Webshots pictures, but I can't add anymore photos to my free account icon_frown.gif.

Here are some other examples of maps using Maptech Terrian Navagaitor and NG Topo (the shaded maps are NG)... http://community.webshots.com/album/18786349sewmdCZNMv

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I seem be be in the minority, but that's OK. I bought the DVD version of Delorme Topo 4.0 and found it to be extremely accurate, easy to use, and very, very useful. It interfaces seamlessly with my Mag 330; it couldn't be any simpler.

And, yes, I'll buy 5.0 when it comes out!

wave.gif

Hey, I am not sure how well the 3D feature will help you in Florida. It might be a little help in Central FL but not much. I live in the Tampa area and hike many of the local trails. Most of the elevation changes are real subtle and the few steep changes are still to small to show up on most maps. The only real obvious ones are around rivers/creeks or sinkholes and you should be able to see those easily on a USGS 7½ minute topo.

I have NG's TOPO! for N. GA & the Smokies and I really like it. Also, I have Topo USA 3 (or maybe 2?). NG TOPO! uses actual scanned in USGS topos. I am pretty sure that Topo USA uses the USGS topos as a base for its maps. I have no problem with vector-based maps but Topo USA seems to be lacking in detail.

Keep in mind that a lot of Florida topos were made in the 50's/60's. The most recent updates have only been purple overprinting on the old map art. With a lot of rain and development, terrain can change a lot in 40 years!

Trailkat

... icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trailkat:...

Keep in mind that a lot of Florida topos were made in the 50's/60's. The most recent updates have only been purple overprinting on the old map art. With a lot of rain and development, terrain can change a lot in 40 years!

Trailkat

... icon_rolleyes.gif

My aunt and uncle who retired to South FLorida, died there in Broward COunty. According to the topos, they're buried in the Everglades!! icon_frown.gif

ALan

I use Terrain Navigator and I am very happy with it. I went through the comparison between it and NG Topo about 3 months ago. I could not find any substantial difference in functionality but the Maptech product can be much less expensive. You can buy entire regions of the country for $149(US) while NG Topo will cost you $99 per state. The maps that print out on my HP printer look like they came off of the shelf at the map store.

Terrain Navigator also makes it simple to share maps with others that don't own the software.