real-time navigation with notebook

i have a garmin emap and a new notebook computor. i have the emap connected with a usb to serial cable, i can download and upload maps and waypoints with mapsource but how do you get it to show real-time location on the laptop. i would like my wife to be able to look at the notebook screen instead of the small emap screen while going down the raod in our truck

I'm not sure if all Mapsource programs are the same, but in my Metroguide it's in the GPS tab on the left part of the screen. There's 5 tabs on the left; Maps, Waypoints, Routes, Tracks, and GPS. Under GPS there's a button labelled 'Start Tracking'. That does it for me. Since you've already established communications everything should work fine.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Curious George:

And remember to check that yout GPS is set to NMEA in/out or you won't get a signal

Actually you're better off setting the unit to Garmin mode especially if you are using a locked map. Either will work and MapSource will try to connect in both formats, but locked maps won't display detail in NMEA mode.