Help with PDA

You really want to consider a pocket pc over a palm. and the best mapping program for a ppc is from mapopolis.com aslo check out pocketpcmag.com to select a ppc. there is a lot of great programs and accessories for these units. I reccomend a toshiba e740 or their new e750, also the dell axiom is a great unit.

I've got the iPaq 3950 and like it but Compaq has been a real thorn to work with. The first one I had died. The second one they sent me had a dead pixel. I sent it in they said "it's ok" and send it back. So we will go around again.

In the meantime I got an Axim and that works. Dell has been much easier to work with and the Axim seems to have a more integrated feel to it.

S&T is great on the Pocket PC when you use Pushpin files (GPSView generates them).

Mapopolis does routing, but then my gPS does that anyway so I don't need it on my PDA.

My reccomendation is to get the Dell Axim. Best bang for the buck. Then you can worry about a good case for it.

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

STAY AWAY FROM PALM PRODUCTS! wiyth Palm you are limited to very little of the PDA's full capacity. for instance. getting a PDA JUST FOR geocaching is silly. if your goign to get a PDA and pay the price, STOP! go on Ebay and get a Ipaq 3835. you can pick on up for around $250.00 hen get a NavMan. the NavMan is the ONLY GPS YOUR SHOULD GET! remember think LATER ON. it will run about $225.00

Next, you will need software. Streets is FINE. if your like me and do hiking I have OziExplorer and then some custom software that turns GeoTiff Maps (DRG..UTM) into maps for his software (he has software that will do this on his site for free) then you can have your Custom Topo Maps. but thats only then you get REALLY geeky like me.

the Navman adds a CompactFlash slot to the PDA and does not use the Sync port on the bottom so you can still have Power to it whn in car or with a spare battery back (you can get a cable for 15.00 to hook a garmin GPS to it, but then you have to have 2 devices... not worth it. I know I ramble when i type, but im dysgraphic,,, its hard. e-mail me if you have any questions

webmaster@boltaction.com

http://shop.boltaction.com

-AJ the HiTek Redneck

-Lock & Load. then shoot it a few more times for fun

I picked up a Handspring Visor Deluxe off Ebay for $80. Got it just for geocaching. It was a pretty good deal, came with a keyboard, extra case, modem & extra software. So far I am extremely pleased with the job it's doing. It came with 8megs of memory & I just purchased another 8 for $20. Tho I think the original 8 was plenty. It seems to be a pretty durable unit as well.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

Don't waste your money on a Pocket PC...windows belongs on a full fledged computer (arguable even then icon_wink.gif)...palmOS belongs in your pocket

i'm very happy with my handspring visor...but i do have a cheap palm IIIe dedicated to geocaching..just in case i take a spill, i'd like my good pda to survive

-pizzachef

I've been using an iPAQ for a few months now and find it much better than a Palm OS PDA. I'm able to use a 1 GB compact flash card to store my USGS 1:24,000 TOPO maps and bluetooth allows me to keep the unit in an otter box, protected from the elements.

Picture%20027.jpg

[This message was edited by Ramblin' Wreck on April 15, 2003 at 08:31 PM.]

I use a Vissor Pro /16megs an use a Megallien for my Geocaching and love it because of the big screen. It cost me 200$ new and 50$ for the gps unit. I also have a modem to connect to aol or server, check my e-mail from work and also I can do IM from anywhere. This little thing for half the money works pretty good. Remember technology changes pretty fast, don't waste your money on high end stuff is going to be out of date the next day. icon_smile.gif

I use a Casio BE-300. I consider it a throwaway device icon_smile.gif I love it, but if it falls to its death in a mud puddle, I'll live.

And buy another one on ebay for $35-$100.

The things I like about it are full color, compact flash card expansion, has a mobipocket reader, mp3 player. Rechargeable battery. It's reasonably fast at 166mhz.

I prefer it over a palm most any day.

Also, if you're a techno-head, you can 'hack' the OS to make it even more functional. But that's not really standard.

Whatever you get, if it's just for caching and there's a possibility you'll drop it and break it... I'd go on the "works for what I need and was cheap" end of things.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I have a palm 105 that has 8mb of mem. I use plucker with caches for most of the state and Delorme for mapping. I also have a digital camera that attaches to the unit. This set-up works really well for me and has plenty of memory. I bought this unit for $50 off of half.com

"Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around." Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes