aerial photo freeware

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDillo:

Can you really find an SR-71 down there? If so, what are the alt/long coords? I don't see anything that resembles its unique shape.

Thanks...

Scott

I think it was a tomcat. But I not that well versed in military aircraft.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Viperwolf1 said: Here's an SR-71 at the Hill AFB museum!

You did indeed find one. Looks like that picture is a couple of years old as they have shuffled things around since it was taken. Sad, but that f-111E sitting in front of the building is one I spent many a cold foggy night working on over in England. At that time it was a front line acft, now you'll only find them in museums. Makes a guy feel old

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by JDMC:

The SR-71 is in an outdoor museum across the highway from Davis-Monthan AFB at N32.139347° W110.868108°. I used to fly the F-102 (those delta-wing airplanes are either F-102s or F-106s).

That would be a cool place for a virtual cache. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

I keep getting a X in the square boxs where the photos should go. Anyone know whats going on?

The X's mean there are no available photos on the Terraserver website (or topos if you're trying to download them). USAPhotoMaps only downloads photos at 1 meter or 8 meter resolution, and topos at 4 meter resolution.

While I love all the features of this program, I have found that most of the aerial maps using this program are significantly more outdated than the aerial maps on Mapquest.

For example, I've lived in my new house for four years now and the aerial still shows as undeveloped using this program. This can cause problems if you are trying to find the best route to a cache. The Mapquest aerial shows my house and all the recent development.

FWIW...

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by Viperwolf1:

Here's an SR-71 at the Hill AFB museum!

N041 09 46.92

W112 01 04.72

I'm late to the party, but couldn't help pointing out the SR-71 at the Huntsville Space Center. (North of the white buildings, facing West)

terraserver small pic

Gee, I wonder how may decomissioned Blackbirds are out there? (I know of one more at Robbins AFB in GA, but it's in a hangar icon_frown.gif )

Don't ask me. I'm not from around here...

I downloaded this last night. It is absolutely incredible software that is also extremely accurate with the Meridian i use. I am about halfway through downloading the aerials for the Everglades and have found tons of trails i want to check out (trails which dont show up on any commercial maps i have seen) I just bought a new pack of CD-RWs - looks like i'll need them!!!

USA PhotoMaps does NOT like GPX files produced by Groundspeak (as with Pocket Queries). It either barfs or imports only a few of the entries.

I sent some sample GPX's to the author, so maybe that'll be fixed soon. Meanwhile, if you read the GPX into EasyGPS and then re-save it, USA PhotoMaps will read it fine after that.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Put the USAPhotoMaps to the test last weekend - I had pegged known landmarks as waypoints before the trip to see how things went on the trails. Of about 100 waypoints entered, i got around to about 50 - they were ALL dead on the money. While i was out, i stood on very well demarcated areas and marked them as waypoints. Upon return, i uploaded all of them and the areials showed EXACTLY where i stood. A few of the landscapes had changed since the photos were taken, but position was flawless. To the honorable Doug Cox, my check is in the mail!!

Has anyone using this also used the MrSid viewer fromLizardtech?

I have been experimenting with the MrSid program and LOVE it. If this other is better I am in BIG trouble. I'm glad I just ordered that 80g HD! But seriously, I'm curious before I download another program over this blasted dial up what the differences are. I can tell you the Lizard Tech software is completely free, and I got local pictures from my Dept of Nat Resources site!

Si quando audius mihi infremus, tum videlicet quoque tardus

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

USA PhotoMaps does NOT like GPX files produced by Groundspeak (as with Pocket Queries). It either barfs or imports only a few of the entries.

I sent some sample GPX's to the author, so maybe that'll be fixed soon.

Latest version doesn't seem to have that problem anymore. icon_wink.gif

-Mixster

I had the same problem a while ago, I am not sure what causes it, and I don't know a particular fix. But, I shut the program down and tried again a few hours later with a different set of coordinates, and it started working. I have a feeling though it has something to do with the programs caching of images, because when I got the Xs I was trying to look at areas I had already downloaded the images for, but who knows.

Came across some "cats" while searching for something else. There's a white head only and a rather distinct entirely grey cat just below it...

USAphotomap is a really good program. Thank you Mr. Cox.

Take a look at these "cats" at N43.497387 by W96.929306.

TX2CA

Been There, Cached That, Bought the Tee-Shirt and the Hat!

Since this thread has been bumped, perhaps it's time to expand it into an ongoing discussion like the GSAK thread. I'm not JDMC, but I'll take the liberty of adding something anyway.

The best recent addition to the program from a geocaching standpoint for those lucky enough to live in affected areas, is the addition of the color .25m/pixel photos. But it's not for the faint of heart with respect to disk space. The Seattle Urban Area boundary covers about a million acres and occupies 12GB. The detail is wonderful.

d71c25d5-4ba0-442a-ab68-59d2a57d5f99.jpg

The best recent addition to the program from a geocaching standpoint for those lucky enough to live in affected areas, is the addition of the color .25m/pixel photos.

Absolutely! I was trying to build a set of waypoints in Disney World for my brother but the 1m/pixel resolution wasn't good enough. But with the colour .25m/pixel resolution, I was able to plot the waypoints without much difficulty.

BTW, there is a utility (can't recall the name...it's Terrasomethingorother) that works with USAPhotoMaps. What it does is allow you to enter coordinates to describe an area and it will retrieve all those files and put them into USAPhotoMaps' image directory. Basically, you describe a large area to populate w/images without having to manually scroll around in USAPhotoMaps to fill in the grid squares.

USAPhotoMaps is a great tool and I only wish Terraserver's images covered Canada as well.

GeoBC

Anybody recognize this:

N 39 3.006 W 94 28.933

No, but it's easily discovered to be the Harry Truman Sports complex in Kansas City/Independence.

Here's a slightly more difficult one to identify. N42°29.869' W91°03.294'.

BTW, there is a utility (can't recall the name...it's Terrasomethingorother) that works with USAPhotoMaps. What it does is allow you to enter coordinates to describe an area and it will retrieve all those files and put them into USAPhotoMaps' image directory. Basically, you describe a large area to populate w/images without having to manually scroll around in USAPhotoMaps to fill in the grid squares.
You can do that right in USAPhotoMaps for arbitrarily large rectangular areas: [File][Download Map Data][Enter Lat/Lon]. You have to do it for each set of data: .25m, 1m, 8m, and topo. I set it to run overnight when I'm populating a large map. Edited by blindleader

The best recent addition to the program from a geocaching standpoint for those lucky enough to live in affected areas, is the addition of the color .25m/pixel photos. But it's not for the faint of heart with respect to disk space. The Seattle Urban Area boundary covers about a million acres and occupies 12GB. The detail is wonderful.

Ok, I've had the program over a year now and have all my local spots downloaded. How or can I download the color versions and how do I know if they are available in my area?

Does it have to overwrite the maps I have now somehow?

Thanks

Ok, I've had the program over a year now and have all my local spots downloaded. How or can I download the color versions and how do I know if they are available in my area?

In the VIEW menu, change your Map Type to Urban. Not all urban areas are covered but many are.

When you see your map window covered in empty grids, press 'F' to fill the screen. You should see the grids populate with colour images. If you see X's instead, then Terraserver doesn't have hi-res colour images of that area.

The hi-res images don't over-write your Photo images. They are considered to be different (ie: Urban) files.

GeoBC

Ok, I've had the program over a year now and have all my local spots downloaded.  How or can I download the color versions and how do I know if they are available in my area?

In the VIEW menu, change your Map Type to Urban. Not all urban areas are covered but many are.

When you see your map window covered in empty grids, press 'F' to fill the screen. You should see the grids populate with colour images. If you see X's instead, then Terraserver doesn't have hi-res colour images of that area.

The hi-res images don't over-write your Photo images. They are considered to be different (ie: Urban) files.

GeoBC

cool, excellent, thanks

This may have been answered, but I think you are thinking of Marky's TerraServer View, now at a new web address. It is really a handy utility.

BTW, there is a utility (can't recall the name...it's Terrasomethingorother) that works with USAPhotoMaps.  What it does is allow you to enter coordinates to describe an area and it will retrieve all those files and put them into USAPhotoMaps' image directory.  Basically, you describe a large area to populate w/images without having to manually scroll around in USAPhotoMaps to fill in the grid squares.

This may have been answered, but I think you are thinking of Marky's TerraServer View, now at a new web address. It is really a handy utility.

No, he's talking about something else, but thanks for the link to my site. :(

I don't know the name of the program he's talking about. I tried to google for it by his description but couldn't find anything.

--Marky