what's the least expensive GPS that has...

Guest Glenoled

Guest Glenoled

... moving map?

I'm wondering, from a potential future recreational pilot's point of view... I kind of like the eTrex, at under $200 canadian, but I don't think it has moving map, does it?

I was also thinking of the Garmin GPS12, which, from what I could tell, does have moving map.

looking for opinions and the like...

Glenoled

Guest peter

n with a cursor representing your current position and other symbols showing the relative locations of waypoints you have stored, your previous path, and your planned route. Neither will display roads, cities, topo contours, and other features we usually associate with maps.

Some of the cheapest units that will display regular maps on the screen are the Garmin eMap and eTrex Legend, the Magellan 330, and the Lowrance GM100. It also depends on where you are, since only the Garmins have European maps and US Topo maps available.

Guest Ketamine

For mapping you're probably going to need to fork over a bit more cash. I have the Garmin 12Map and a buddy of mine has the Magellan 330. I really like both units, but the Magellan has address lookup, while mine seems quite a bit sturdier.

In my opinion (not that it really helps answer your question), wait until you can get a mapping unit. You won't regret it. Another friend of mine has the Garmin 12XL and likes it but now wishes he had gotten a mapping unit. Now he's thinking about getting a new one. They add so much to the functionality.

For my money, I think the Garmin Vista seems like the way to go. Around the same price as the other mapping units and it has WAAS capability, which seems to be the future of GPS for now. Keep in mind the mapping software from Garmin is a bit pricey at around $100 for the US Roads and Recreation CD -or- the US MetroGuide CD. The latter gives it the street lookup function.

Sorry if this doesn't help, but I really think it's important to determine if you'd like to use the GPS in your car for road navigation as well as hiking, etc.

Good luck in your search.