Eagle Explorer

Guest Kurt in MI

Guest Kurt in MI

Anybody here use an Eagle Explorer (12 channel handheld receiver)?

Anybody here use one with computer software?

The System Info for mine says

Copyright Mar 24 1997

Version 1.9

Are there newer versions? Is this unit easily upgradable to a newer version?

Since I bought this GPS a few years ago, I'm guessing it doesn't have many of the features that today's PC software can take advantage of. I just ordered the "GPS Data Manager" last night from LEI Extras since LEI apparently directly supports the Eagle.

If you have tried "GPS Data Manager" or other software with the Eagle Explorer, can you give me any recommendations about how I can maximize the functionality of this unit?

I'm skeptical about GPS Data Manager since GPS Data Manager works on Windows 3.1 (and up) machines...so it might not have lots of bells & whistles compared to software that requires Win95 or higher. However, my GPS unit seems to be "old" by today's standards so bells & whistles in GPS data management software may be unnecessary. Ease of use *is* important though.

Will my Explorer interface well with DeLorme's "Topo USA" as far as data management capabilities go (waypoints and routes)?

How do the data management capabilities in "Topo USA" compare to "GPS Data Manager?"

BTW, does Topo USA display/print the best/most accurate computer generated topo maps or is there better software available? I'll probably buy Topo USA if there isn't other software that can measure up to what Delorme seems to offer.

Thanks for reading yet another rambling message. Sorry to fill up your monitor with it. icon_smile.gif

Guest 300mag

Hello Kurt

I don't know about software but my 2 hunting buddies have eagle units one is a Eagle like yours the other one is a expedition 2. I own a gm100 lowrance.They are all simillar in accuraty the only difference are a few different screens if i remember well.You can get more info at these sites www.gpsnuts.com or www.joe.mehaffey.com

Guest Kurt in MI

Thanks, 300mag! The information in www.joe.mehaffey.com/eagle1.txt is especially helpful.

I'm less skeptical about the EE's capabilities now. I'm anxious for my software and cables to arrive. I'll try it out with Street Atlas too. icon_smile.gif

I'll also talk with Lowrance about the possibility of a firmware upgrade, though my current v1.9 probably has more capabilities than the v1.4 described at the URL above.

Looks like I'll be happily occupied for awhile.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

------------------

Best regards,

Kurt in MI

Track your US currency's travels too at Where's George?! icon_smile.gif

Guest 300mag

Glad i could help

By the way how is the whitetail hunting out in MI. I ear it's suppose to be great. Here in my part of Canada the numbers are lower than your area. But with these last few years there wasn't much snow except for this year. So the population exploded.They say this year with all the snow (tons)we got if it doesn't melt soon 30,000 deer will die. icon_frown.gif

Hope you have fun with your gps. See you around Dan

Guest Kurt in MI

I can't say for certain about the hunting conditions since I don't hunt. I never hear anyone complaining about lack of deer though and I sure see them often when I'm driving at night...especially during gun season.

If ya make it this way next fall for deer hunting, I'm pretty sure you'll see some deer (as well as hunters). Gun season usually starts around Nov. 15.

There are a few caches ya can look for too. icon_smile.gif

I hope the snow melts soon up your way.

Guest 300mag

Thanks for the info Kurt.

It would be great to go up someday and hunt deer and caches. We are suppose to get 15c or about 60f tomorrow so this will help alot.

Guest syclone

That's an interesting thought - Geocaching during hunting season. Maybe they will give you a funny hat to wear. And you won't even be able to shoot back.

Guest GrouseTales

ftware.

This already helped me out once when I had to

"reset" the GPS and lost all my waypoints.

It only took about 1 minute to reinstall about 50 waypoints with the software.

I'm sure you will like the GDM (GPS data manager) software. It is simple, nothing fancy, but does the trick.

BJ

Guest Goat Commander

Hey peeps,

I'm new to Geocaching and am very interested in it. However i've got some GPS questions. I have an Eagle Explorer, but the software version is 1.3 (October 1996). Does anyone know if it's possible to get firmware updates for it?

Also, I was doing some geology last summer and I compared readings with two Garmin GPSII's and a Garmin Etrex. All the garmins agreed but mine was out, sometimes by up to 600m in the E-W direction. I eventually ended up having to set the "PCF offset" to try to correct for it so all the GPS's would read the same.

So my question is, does anyone know of any web sites that will give you lat/longs of locations on a map? I'd like to calibrate my GPS to locations nearby and don't have a topo sheet to do it with.

Thanks!

Guest 300mag

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

I have a Lowrance GM100 and I use the GPS Data Manager software with my unit. It works good and is pretty simple to use.

It is very nice for Geocaching. Once connected to your GPS, you can quickly type in the waypoint coordinates on the PC and it

will transfer to your GPS.

It is also very fast for creating routes.

It is a pain in the but to enter waypoints directly on the GPS, because you need to arrow through the alphabet to find the letters or numbers you need.

With the software, it is as easy as typing. I can enter about 5 waypoints with the software in the time it takes to enter one by

direct method on the GPS.

If I am out working with the GPS, when I get

home I connect to PC and save all the new waypoints on the software.

This already helped me out once when I had to

"reset" the GPS and lost all my waypoints.

It only took about 1 minute to reinstall about 50 waypoints with the software.

I'm sure you will like the GDM (GPS data manager) software. It is simple, nothing fancy, but does the trick.

BJ

Hello grousetales can you tell me where you can get this software. I would like to scan a few maps in my hunting area and print them up including stand locations etc.Is this possible with this software or is this just for enterring waypoints in the unit?

Thanks 300mag

Guest GrouseTales

The software is included on the Lowrance

IMS Marine and Recreation, Map Create

CD-ROM. I purchased it at the same time

I bought my GM100 GPS. Retail price for the CD-ROM package was about $130.00 I got it at half price thanks to a Lowrance promo.

I think you can purchase the Waypoint Manager Software seperate from the IMS CD-ROM. I see Cabelas has the software for $30.

The "Map Create" program lets you enhance the detail of specific areas found on the built-in map contained in the GM100 unit.

The GDM (GPS data manager)program which was included on the CD-ROM, is only for managing your waypoints.

It lets you create waypoints on the PC and

transfer them into the GPS. Lets you take

your stored waypoints from the GPS and save

them on the PC. But that's about it.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to do what your talking about. It doesnt allow

you to project waypoints onto a printable

map. It would be really cool if it did!

BJ

Guest Kurt in MI

You can get GPS Data Manager from here.

It's basically for waypoint management with Lowrance/Eagle units. It doesn't handle scanned map images AFAIK. However, I have been successful at using the GPS Data Management software to import waypoint/route data that I have exported from Delorme's Street Atlas 5.0. The Eagle Explorer (my GPS) will also work with a laptop and Delorme's Street Atlas 5.0 to track your route in realtime if you turn on the GPS's NMEA.

I don't know for certain whether the newer versions of Street Atlas are compatible with the Eagle Explorer though.

I'm thinking of purchasing Terrain Navigator 2001 to use with my Explorer. They have a "take the tour" overview and a demo version that you can download from the site.

Others I want to look into are Panterra and National Geographic's 'Topo!'.

Has anyone here compared these mapping programs? Can you provide your opinions?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Kurt in MI (edited 04-17-2001).]

Guest Kurt in MI

quote:
Originally posted by Goat Commander:

I have an Eagle Explorer, but the software version is 1.3 (October 1996). Does anyone know if it's possible to get firmware updates for it?

I haven't contacted Eagle yet to ask them about this. Here is Eagle's website link in case you get around to calling them first. icon_smile.gif

Guest Kurt in MI

rk with a laptop and Delorme's Street Atlas 5.0 to track your route in realtime if you turn on the GPS's NMEA.

I don't know for certain whether the newer versions of Street Atlas are compatible with the Eagle Explorer though.

I'm thinking of purchasing Terrain Navigator 2001 to use with my Explorer. They have a "take the tour" overview and a demo version that you can download from the site.

Others I want to look into are Panterra and National Geographic's 'Topo!'.

Has anyone here compared these mapping programs? Can you provide your opinions?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Kurt in MI (edited 04-17-2001).][/b]

Guest Goat Commander

Hey Kurt,

Thanks for the link. Eagle got back to me today and told me the upgrade would cost $119.95. I'm assuming that's CDN, since it was eaglecanada that I emailed.

I can't afford it right now but I'm wondering if you think it's worth it. I'd like to know what features I'd be getting that I don't have right now - can you describe your GPS features? I'd like to know about the software it works with, can you input/output with software, maps, etc? Right now I can't input anything to it via software, and I can't output anything except the normal NMEA feed.

I'm sure the basic stuff is still similar, but it might be more worth my while to just buy a whole new unit.

Any thoughts? I would appreciate it!

Guest Kurt in MI

quote:
Originally posted by Goat Commander:

Eagle got back to me today and told me the upgrade would cost $119.95. I'm assuming that's CDN, since it was eaglecanada that I emailed.

I can't afford it right now but I'm wondering if you think it's worth it.

IMHO, no. I'm not going to pay that much for the upgrade even if that is $CDN. I think the GPS receivers available today for around $100 US are probably much better. I think we'd be better off buying a new GPS rather than upgrading the Explorer firmware. I haven't personally seen other GPS receivers in action to compare but, after seeing various ads, they appear to have a better screen pixel resolution and they can often display road/topo maps on the GPS screen. AFAIK, the Explorer doesn't do that.

quote:
I'd like to know what features I'd be getting that I don't have right now - can you describe your GPS features? I'd like to know about the software it works with, can you input/output with software, maps, etc? Right now I can't input anything to it via software, and I can't output anything except the normal NMEA feed.

The features I have are described in the Eagle Explorer Manual available online in Adobe's PDF format. I don't know anything about the version history of Eagle's firmware upgrades.

My successes with GPS-related software are limited to what I mentioned in my posts above. I haven't tried several kinds of software with the Explorer yet. Perhaps someone more knowlegable about it can give you some better answers.

Guest 300mag

Tks for the info. I know there are mapping software we can use like oziexplore and fugawe also quovadis.I never seen or used them but they are suppose to be good.