Etrex questions

Guest JSB-1958

Guest JSB-1958

I have one of the plain vanilla (yellow)etrex units and the combination serial data cable/cigarette lighter power cord. I can't find this addressed anywhere in the manual, so does any one know:

1. When the serial cable is plugged to the back of the computer and into the etrex to up/download data, and the etrex is powered on, is it somehow getting its power from the computer, or is it running on batteries?

2. If it is running on its own batteries, I do have a 12 volt power supply that plugs into the wall and has a female cigarette lighter recepticle on it. It was originally designed for use with cell phones, but will it damage the etrex and or computer if I am using the power and the data functions at the same time?

Thanks.

1) It will be running on its internal AA cells.

2) Should be fine for both your PC and eTrex as long as the power supply is putting out a regulated 12 VDC (which it should since it has a standard auto accessory jack). The whole point of the combo cable is to allow you to do this - especially when using a laptop in your car and powering the GPS from the lighter jack.