New Garmin GPS60

pecka

Hello,

My friend just told me that there will be a new gpsr from Garmin called GPS60 soon. He told me that the dealers alredy received some pomotion materials and it says that it comes with world base-map (no more atlantic and euro versions) and 50MB for maps, there will also be a colorscreen verison. It should be on the market just before XMas. So it only can mean that the official announcement will be at CES.

My question is if there is someone who has more information about the unit? Anyone w/ pictures?

I'll be at CES this year so I hope you're right!

quote:
Originally posted by pecka:

Hello,

My friend just told me that there will be a new gpsr from Garmin called GPS60 soon. He told me that the dealers alredy received some pomotion materials and it says that it comes with world base-map (no more atlantic and euro versions) and 50MB for maps, there will also be a colorscreen verison. It should be on the market just before XMas. So it only can mean that the official announcement will be at CES.

My question is if there is someone who has more information about the unit? Anyone w/ pictures?

http://www.cachegear.com

Technical News And Reviews Relating To Geocaching

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

ok, so I have all the news. it will be called GPS60. there will be 4 units in the family: 1st basic monochrome model called GPS60, 2nd monochrome model w/ basemap called GPSmap 60, 3rd color TFT model called GPSmap60C and 4th also colour TFT model called GPSmap 60CS. I don't know the difference between those two colour models except one will have blue body and the other one will be olive.

All four models look like MAP76 mixed w/ RHINO. They have this kinf of rubber antenna on the top. they have also larger display - the promo material says 1.5" x 2.2", it will be powered by 2 AA batteries and expected time for the color model is incredible 30 hours. As I said there will be a International Basemap, 51MB memory, USB interface and turn by turn routing w/ City Select. Ohh, an it should be available in November

quote:
Originally posted by GeoFool:

I just looked at the picture. These things look nice. I think I know what i'm asking Santa for Christmas. icon_biggrin.gif

You wouldn't happen to have any specs on these do you?

http://home.covad.net/~dsteward/Animated%20Gifs/lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

sorry no other detail available at the moment. i just hope that the GPSmap60 has more that 16MB, because that's the one I wanna buy

The only thing that appears to be missing is an SD card slot. 51 MB (64MB - 13MB basemap) sounds like a lot, but I know that at some point I will regret not having more, and with SD cards as cheap as they are now (and getting cheaper), it would be a big selling point if only they would implement it.

-- Pneumatic

quote:
These are to compete with the SporTraks I believe

Big screens, 30 hrs. of battery life, 51 megs of memory and autorouting.....Not much competition here! Looks like Magellan will be playing "catch up" still!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

My Swedish is terrible, but it looks like they've got autorouting and will be available in November. The color units will have a TFT display much like the modern Pocket PCs and the units will utilize the USB port for speed. Screen size is 1.5 x 2.2 inches. These units will also have 51 MB of storage.

Sweet.

Volks_ev71 - It looks like you're in for another love affair with a new unit.

Garmin eTrex Vista, Legend, and GPSmap 162 with Bluecharts/Fishing Hotspots/POI/Road & Rec

Ducks - flying geocaches of meat

quote:
No thanks. I'll wait for a color 72-series unit

Well, I too, prefer the buttons on top. But not nearly enough to give up auto-routing and 51 mb of memory. icon_smile.gif I have waited for something better than the V to come out for 2 years now, and it looks like it finally has! Anyone want a perfectly good V for a perfectly fair price?

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

This just does not look like it will replace the GPS V body type. It appears to be more of and etrex on steriods.

I wonder if they plan on releasing another unit along the lines of the V.

Wyatt W.

Alaphawolf how much would you sell your unit for?

Phantom4099@yahoo.com

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

The site I referred to is in Norwegian, not Swedish, so I understand if you had some problems with it. Good interpretation, though!

Since there is no "sneak peak" at Garmins site, which usually is there long before they have any ability to actually deliver, and these units are supposed to be out in November, I'm beginning to think that it's a well done April fool's joke. Just ran out of April.

NOTE! The Norwegian dealer has removed the article about the GPS 60. Maybe under pressure from "Big Brother"...

Anders

[This message was edited by Anders. on October 01, 2003 at 01:30 AM.]

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my GPSr because of the eTrex Legends 8 meg memory limitation and the small screen size, which makes using the MapSource maps difficult in a driving situation. I was leaning towards the Gamin 76 series, but was a little hesitant because of a few things.

1. The maximum memory is 24 meg, which is still not enough (imo) and cannot be pared with external memory.

2. I wasn’t too keen on the location of the function buttons on the top of the unit. To me this didn’t seem like logical placement, as usage would block the screen by your hands.

3. I’ve read that the optimum position for satellite reception is in a vertical fashion.

Looking at these, supposedly new Garmins, I think I found my next GPSr (dependant on price of course). I would like to hear some feedback mainly about the button locations. What is the advantage of having them above or below the screen?

lookerline_e0.gif

mystats.php?userid=GeoFool&bgcol=FFFFF0&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

quote:

2. I wasn’t too keen on the location of the function buttons on the top of the unit. To me this didn’t seem like logical placement, as usage would block the screen by your hands.

I don't know why some people complain about this. Granted, yeah, your hands may block the display for a second or two while you change a few things, but the screen is clear after that.

Buttons on the front are generally much more intuitive anyway...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

quote:
Originally posted by volks_ev71:

I don't know why some people complain about this. Granted, yeah, your hands may block the display for a second or two while you change a few things, but the screen is clear after that.

Buttons on the front are generally much more intuitive anyway...

I wasn’t really complaining, I’m just looking for feedback. I thought I remember someone saying that the buttons on the top face of the unit makes it useable with one hand. Is this true? If so, this would be a good reason to choose one with this type of button arrangement.

lookerline_e0.gif

mystats.php?userid=GeoFool&bgcol=FFFFF0&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

Garmin's been listening to us, all those topics like "What would you want in a GPS?"

Helix antenna, more memory, samll size (looks about the same as the etrex line - anyone have exact dimensions?), no stick switch, good for righties and lefties, color, larger display, autorouting, compass, (I'll guess it'll have a barometric altimeter too, anyone know for sure?),new software and programs,

Alan

quote:

I wasn’t really complaining, I’m just looking for feedback. I thought I remember someone saying that the buttons on the top face of the unit makes it useable with one hand. Is this true? If so, this would be a good reason to choose one with this type of button arrangement.

Maybe I just have long, skinny thumbs, but I hold my GPSMAP 76S with my right hand and push all the buttons with my right thumb, and it doesn't block the screen at all... I'd think buttons on the bottom front would make it harder to grip and operate the buttons with one hand... but then again, I've never tried a GPSr with buttons on the bottom front icon_smile.gif

For those of you who don't like having a GPSr with buttons on the bottom, have you never tried to use a cellphone one-handed? They usually have buttons on the bottom and a readout on top.

How about a PDA? I regularly use my Palm m515 one-handed to check my calendar, use my phone book and even read cache pages I have loaded in.

----

Mr Peabody and his fabulous WABAC Machine.

My GPS 315 is useable with one hand, with it's buttons at the bottom, but not the Platinum. Sometimes I need both hands to operate the Platinum.

It's best to have a narrow GPS, if it has it's buttons bellow, but a wide GPS needs it's buttons above, has to do with grip, and entering data, while walking. Easy with my GPS V, and even easier with my small GPS 315.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Strange

Animated_MiGO_A120.gif

quote:
And if Garmin say maybe november they probably will not be released until Feb. of March.

You have always been an optimist! That whole Rino thing still stings doesn't it? If past history is to be used a a prediction, I figure I have until next June or so to get my V sold and money saved!