problems with easy GPS

Guest cleenjeep

Guest cleenjeep

Why cant I get easy gps to use wgs 84 in the degree minutes seconds format that everyone else uses? When I tried to enter it in decimal format, it told me to enter a number between 1 and 180.. duh.. I already did!!!! This is very frustrating.. I used a worthless program called waypoint today and inadvertantly deleted all my waypoints. Including a cache I placed and hadnt posted the cache yet, so now I have to drive hours to get to it again, although my jeep broke down last night and I am in a really bad mood!!!!!!!!!!! Arrghh.. then the darn jehovas witnesses stopped by again. Grrr...

So, can anyone tell me how to make the easy gps work in the standard wgs 84 format without converting to decimals, which doesnt work anyway?

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest cleenjeep

I also tried panterra, and it was very useful. I enjoyed the functions of panterra during the trial, but I cannot afford the software. :^( It appeared that the functions of panterra I used were free on easy GPS, but it doesnt work at all. I am confused... there doesnt seem to be much difference between the two...

Michael

------------------

Guest Prime Suspect

Try the program G7ToWin. It's been around for a while, and is quite stable. And it's freeware. You can get it at:

http://members.home.net/crh24/gps/g7towin/g7towin.htm

Best things I like about it - It lets you perform mass changes to waypoints. For example, you can change all (or a selected group) of waypoint icons. Or the display mode. And it interfaces with Street Atlas software. I'm traveling through Oklahoma soon, and wanted to see if there were any caches along my route. I captured all the cache locations into G7ToWin (using a custom written program I may be releasing as freeware soon) and then sent it to Street Altas. Bang! I could see where every cache in the state was (labeled with the title and waypoint ID), and I had the pan, zoom and routing capabilities of the Street Atlas software.

Guest cleenjeep

oh, how many times have I tried to DL g7towin, but it only downloads a very small file which is empty. Only every time. Once a week. Just now, in fact, only 190k. Says it's all finished, then I unzip it, and nothing is there. Sometimes I think you all are hyping a nonexistent product as a joke. I just dont know what is going on. ha ha ha

Michael

------------------

Guest topografix

EasyGPS only supports dec.deg format. PanTerra and ExpertGPS support deg min.min, deg min sec, and UTM formats. That's one of the reasons why EasyGPS is free, and PanTerra costs $29.95.

If you insist on using free software and want to translate your deg min sec coordinates into dec.deg, there's a link somewhere on the geocaching site to jeeep.com's converter.

Here are the corrected download links:

EasyGPS: http://www.easygps.com/download.asp

PanTerra: http://www.topografix.com/download.asp

ExpertGPS: http://www.expertgps.com/download.asp

If you have further difficulties, you can contact me at the support address on our website.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

If you insist on using free software and want to translate your deg min sec coordinates into dec.deg, there's a link somewhere on the geocaching site to jeeep.com's converter.

Use software to convert ? What's the matter with Start -> Run -> Calc ?? (or indeed that calculator on your desk that you forgot all about)

Divide the seconds (if there are any) by 60, add them to the minutes - divide the result by 60 and add to the degrees.

Example: 50d30'45"

45/60 = 0.75

add to the minutes 30.75

divide by 60 = 30.75/60 = 0.5125

add to the degrees = 50.5125

if that's all you want to do then you just saved $29.95 - of course for your $29.95 you do get a whole raft of features (that I happen to have no need for)

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

I emailed the fella about g7towin, I hope he can email me the program.

Michael

Let me know if you have problems. I could put a copy on my server and send you the link. The zip file is only about 230kb. Not to put down EazyGPS, but feature for feature, G7ToWin pretty much blows it out of the water. EazyGPS is a good first start, but G7 has the advantage of years of constructive input from its large user base. For example, just look at all the different formats you can export the data to in G7.

Guest Silver

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

If you insist on using free software...

Insist on using free software? Ouch! Here is a PR problem waiting to happen. Almost like the "Update your browser" message I just saw on the download page.

The software sounds nice and I might try again later to download it. I'll wait and see what the geocaching version is like when it gets finished.

Silver

Guest cleenjeep

yeah, I am definitely looking forward to the Geocaching version as well, if you can call it that, considering the recent hubbub about the word geocaching. I hope it supports the same WGS 84 format that geocaching.com uses, or it seems it would be a waste of time. I dont like having to convert all the time, and no, I am not able to pay 30 dollars for the full version right now. There are many more important things to take care of, like gas in the jeep, parts for the jeep, umm.. stuff for the jeep, hey, I'm just working for my jeep. dadgum it.. lol

Michael

------------------