Please explain the difference in very simple terms between Garmin V and SporTrak Pro

Ack! Someone please help! Here's the deal. Right now I have a Garmin Gecko. It does the trick for geocaching, but I'm wanting to upgrade to something that I can use for driving as well. I had just about decided to purchase a Garmin V, but I saw the great deal being offered on the Magellen Sportrak Pro.

In very simple terms, can someone please explain the difference between these two for driving usage? The Sportrak Pro I know has less memory. They both have the capability for street level maps though, right?

The Sportrak Pro info says you can download the street level maps. Is this a free download, or do you have to buy extra mapping software? What exactly does the extra mapping software do and do I need it?

The Garmin V says it can automatically calculate a route. How does that compare to the Sportrak? Am I correct in thinking that the Garmin V will give you directions to get from point A to point B, while the Sportrak just gives you maps to look at? If so, I'm not sure I actually need the V, as long as I can get the street level maps from the Sportrak.

Is there any advantage to one of these over the other for geocaching?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. I tried doing a search here for my answers, but I wasn't getting anywhere. I need this broken down for me into simple, simple terms. icon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dizwendy:

Ack! Someone please help! Here's the deal. Right now I have a Garmin Gecko. It does the trick for geocaching, but I'm wanting to upgrade to something that I can use for driving as well. I had just about decided to purchase a Garmin V, but I saw the great deal being offered on the Magellen Sportrak Pro.

In very simple terms, can someone please explain the difference between these two for driving usage? The Sportrak Pro I know has less memory. They both have the capability for street level maps though, right?

The Sportrak Pro info says you can download the street level maps. Is this a free download, or do you have to buy extra mapping software? What exactly does the extra mapping software do and do I need it?

The Garmin V says it can automatically calculate a route. How does that compare to the Sportrak? Am I correct in thinking that the Garmin V will give you directions to get from point A to point B, while the Sportrak just gives you maps to look at? If so, I'm not sure I actually need the V, as long as I can get the street level maps from the Sportrak.

Is there any advantage to one of these over the other for geocaching?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. I tried doing a search here for my answers, but I wasn't getting anywhere. I need this broken down for me into simple, simple terms. icon_redface.gif

You are correct in your thinking.

I'm a Magellan user, but I have to say the advantage goes to Garmin for the autorouting. None of the Magellan GPSr's do that with exception to the units designed specifically for the car; which are much more pricey than the SportTrak.

Downloading street level maps to the GPSr means just that and it isn't free. You need to purchase the proprietary map software that is germane to the GPS you finally decide to purchase. With Garmin, it is Mapsource, and with Magellan, it is MapSend.

Now the advantages vary from map to map. You probably would do well to go to www.gpsinformation.net and do a little reading on comaparisons there on the GPSr(eceivers) as well as the software that works with it. There are some nice screenshots of each including the map detail.

Cheers!

TL

Right now, the V is the only small GPSr that interacts with the maps loaded into it. All the rest simply overlay the maps on the screen. If you direct the GPSr to navigate to another point, the V will route you along available roads in either “shortest distance” or “faster time”, whichever you prefer. You may also choose “off road” which points you directly to the waypoint. The others will only point you directly to the chosen waypoint, or “as the crow flies”. This is useless for street navigation in most cases.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

The Pro will give you better street detail on their topo maps than Garmin does on their topo maps.

The V comes with the city maps that give you that detail though.

For street navigation on a pro (or V without using routing) you use the rubberband map and the map page. By looking at the line connecting where you are to where you want to be you can normally figure out how to get there.

Normally isn't always though.

It is a simple equation for me.

Sporttrak = magellan = thales = french = don't buy. It doesn't get simpler than that.

The other reasons above are all pretty good to....

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Comparing the Garmin V and Sportrak Pro is unfair. The Garmin V is, plain and simple, the finest all around GPS unit that you can buy. The Sportrak Pro is a great unit, but a more valid comparison would be with the Garmin eTrex Vista. The Sportrak pro compares favorably with the Vista. Each has its advantages. Personally, I'd go with the Vista, but many people will make excellent arguments for the Sportrak. Just don't embarrass either by comparing them with the GPS V.

t

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Get the GPS V Deluxe. It comes with the MapSource CD, PC Cable, adhesive mount and lighter power adapter. I just got mine Friday from Amazon.con for 406.70 (399+S&H) with shipping but that would have been free if I wanted to wait 5 extra days for parcel post instead of first class.

It had been giving me accuracy to 8 ft using the differential corrections (WAAS enabled). I use to locate features (towers etc) for map updating and it works nicely. The Vista is good for being on foot but it keep falling of the dash of the 4X4 and I often have to hold it out the window to get the best position. So far I have only used it for Lat and Lon but loading maps was easy as was installing the Mapsource software. I have a GA 26 C remote antenna on the roof of the 2001 GMC truck, the attached antenna does not give me the accuracy I need and its often hampered by poor visibility inside the truck.

I'm far from an expert on GPS units since I am new to this BUT when you compare the Garmin VPS Deluxe to the Magellan Sport Trak Map, with the deal they have at Flying J Estore now, you are comparing $400 to $70 (Sport is $100 there now, free shipping, no tax and Magellan has a $30 rebate) The Pro verison is only $30 more. The rebate jumps up to $50 if you get the Mapsend software also. The software is about $70 at Amazon. That makes total cost for the unit AND the CD about $120 after rebates which is approx $280 less than the Garmin package.

It's all been said pretty well. Do you want superior functionality, or cheap price. You get what you pay for. I've had my V for a long time now, & not much out there can touch it for all around functionality. All depends what you're looking for.

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

quote:
Originally posted by Essiar:

I'm far from an expert on GPS units since I am new to this BUT when you compare the Garmin VPS Deluxe to the Magellan Sport Trak Map, with the deal they have at Flying J Estore now, you are comparing $400 to $70 (Sport is $100 there now, free shipping, no tax and Magellan has a $30 rebate) The Pro verison is only $30 more. The rebate jumps up to $50 if you get the Mapsend software also. The software is about $70 at Amazon. That makes total cost for the unit AND the CD about $120 after rebates which is approx $280 less than the Garmin package.

I just wanted to note (in case anyone is looking to buy this), this is not QUITE accurate. You can't get quite that good of a price on the GPS and software -- because the rebate states that the GPSr and software MUST be on the same receipt. FlyingJ doesn't sell MapSend -- they just have the great prices (when in stock) on the GPSr itself.

So, in other words, you can't buy the SporTrak Map from FlyingJ for $100 and the software from Amazon for $70 and then do the $50 rebate to get it all down to $120.

It's still a great deal -- you can just get the Map at FlyingJ for $100 and do the $30 rebate. Then do the software for $70 (with no rebate) anyhow. (Personally, I'd do the Pro though for $30 more -- which is what I did. icon_smile.gif)

- John...

Hmmm... I just saw in another thread that you got an email back from Magellan saying that they WOULD accept receipts from two different places for the $50 rebate (if you provided the name of the exec that authorized it for you, I guess).

So -- to anyone reading -- I take that back -- it looks like maybe you COULD do both, although I'd recommend you confirm that with Magellan and/or Essiar first to get the right info on how to do that!

- John...

While the GPS V deluxe includes City Select software, this software only covers Major Metropolitan areas, if you need coverage for small towns you will need to buy more software.

Also keep in mind that the Magellan topo software includes street names, the Garmin Topo does not.

Also COmaping the GPS v to the Magellan Sport trak map is like comparing aplles to oranges.

THe Garmin is designed with driving in mind and the Magellan is designed with hiking in mind.

If you are looking for a model just for driving get the Street pilot with the larger screen.

Johnnyvegas said:

quote:

While the GPS V deluxe includes City Select software, this software only covers Major Metropolitan areas, if you need coverage for small towns you will need to buy more software.

Garmin included tiger map data for most rural areas on city select a couple years back, and changed their advertising to call it enhanced city select I believe. Unfortuantely, that data is the same that Magellan uses, so you're stuck with the accuracy and error problems that can be expected with the tiger map database. There is a viewer on Garmins website for anyone interested in seeing what's available on the different products for their area.

quote:
Also COmaping the GPS v to the Magellan Sport trak map is like comparing aplles to oranges.

THe Garmin is designed with driving in mind and the Magellan is designed with hiking in mind.

If you are looking for a model just for driving get the Street pilot with the larger screen.

Actually, to me it appears the GPS V crosses over to off road use better than the sportrak crosses over to on road use. With the Garmin unit, you have true 1:100,000 scale USGS TOPO maps available and 1:24,000 scale available in limited areas. With the Magellans, the DEM they use is only about half as detailed as the 1:100,000 scale maps, which can be a problem for backcountry use. The screen resolution of the GPS V is also double that of the sportrak, which is a real plus when trying to overview areas on a topo map. You also have the option of an external antenna with GPS V, which can be a plus in extremely dense forested areas. With the sportrak on the road, you only have the option of the public domain Tiger map database, which can make it all but impossible to navigate in some cities due to accuracy issues. (You often can't tell which road you're really on.)

My GPS V with cityselect has all towns rural and major. Maybe it didn't used to but it does now...every road everywhere from what I can tell is in my cityselect CD.

The V does autorouting, the other one you are looking at doesn't. You pay for that functionality.

All GPS's have their strengths and weakness's including the GPS V. If you want autorouting (tells you to turn right, turn left) then the GPS V is your cheapest choice and its small enough for handheld uses as well.

Better read up on all the units and decided what you want based on thier merits before you buy.

Todd Snyder

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyvegas:

Also keep in mind that the Magellan topo software includes street names, the Garmin Topo does not.

OK, total newbie here. I am leaning to the V because it will be mostly in the car and I don't have the money for a street pilot III.

I have to do some traveling from SW Connecticut to Topton PA, about 150 miles away. How much information can the V hold about the area between here and there?

Thanks!

Dennis

You have to try it with mapcreate and see.

Each map section can be off different size depending on density of "stuff".

Most long trips you are forced to load in sections at the start and sections at the end and leave out the middle. The GPS V then must be used to create your route.

It will use what it has to create the route. If no loaded map exists for an area its going through then it uses its base map (which is usually fine since you will probably be on the highways anyway).

I'm thinking about 2 to 3megs per map section meaning 7 to 10 map sections can be loaded up.

Todd

Yep, price is a major consideration.

The two GPS's you were comparing were apples and oranges really.

What was the price difference, like 125 compared to 400. You will love havign a GPS. My lowrance airmap 100 did me well for many years. If you can create routes that stick to roads on the sportrack then that is a big advantage over what I had with my old lowrance.

Good luck with your purchase and I'm sure you will love having "any" gps if you didnt have one allready..

Todd