MAGELLAN MAPSEND DIRECTROUTE SOFTWARE Anyone have more info?

dweebe

Somebody on the Yahoo group spotted this site and passed it along.

This vendor reports that several Meridian packages with DirectRoute bundled into the deal will be available in late September, with the DirectRoute CD available in early November.

It looks like autorouting will be possible on the GPS *and* the PC. Re-routing is not as automatic as on the Garmin V, but with a push of the GOTO button it will re-calculate a new route from current position.

My conversion calculation of the Candian price listed by this vendor ($210) comes out to around $153 US.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Reading that makes me wonder if you can route to a Geocache. It doesn't seem to have the option to route to a user waypoint.

Thanks for the link. Lots of good info on that site. I'm excited to get the software... but I'll have to wait till the price comes down.

I wonder if I can store multiple maps on my 128meg SD card. It says the size limit is 64megs.

Jamie

Edit: just saw the blurb that says you can route to user waypoints. Cool.

My interpretation of the 64MB limit is that it's the Magellan official recommendation of the largest file (4 regions X 16MB each) the Meridian can reliably handle--at least that's the situation with existing MapSend products. So I would expect you can have multiple mapfiles within that limit.

Max

If you keep up with the Yahoo Group of MapSend you will realize that a release date by Thales of say "September" does not necessarily mean that they were intending the release date to be September of 2003. Merely September, or October or November of any given year. Further their use of such fine mapping products such as the Tiger maps make us "loyal" Maggie users wonder just HOW outdated the maps that they use will be. But given the normal delayed delivery of mapping software the maps therefore are guaranteed to be outdated before delivery.

LostNfound

This map software is by Navtech.

I know Magellan has had some set backs in products released (the platinum for one), but that seems to be kind of common with both manufactures (look at the Ique). Also Magellan seems to have had some success in releasing their color versions, along with the last mapsend Streets and Destination in reasonable amount of time.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I just re-visited the Canadian GPS Central web site referenced above, and found this newly-inserted note:

"MapSend DirectRoute is specifically designed as an auto-routing product and does NOT provide the same street-level coverage as MapSend Streets & Destinations Canada. The NAVTECH detail on DirectRoute appears to be very similar to that offered on GARMIN's North America City Select V 5.00 CD, the content of which can be viewed using GARMIN's MapSource MapViewer. [Magellan does not yet have an online utility to enable viewing of detail on MapSend products.]"

I went over to the Garmin site to take a look at NA City Select on the viewer. In looking at the area where I live (a rural area), I saw the main arteries, but no secondary or lower status roads. It looks like DirectRoute may supplement existing MapSend products, but from what I can see it's not going to replace them (for me, at least).

Max

I have heard some reports that city select/navigator has omitted some of the smaller roads. This kind of scares me because I plan on purchasing the V sometime in the future. Shame on Garmin/Magellan/Navtech for omitting some of these roads.

I hope Garmin lets people switch out city select 5.00 for 4.01.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

"MapSend DirectRoute is specifically designed as an auto-routing product and does NOT provide the same street-level coverage as MapSend Streets & Destinations Canada.

So after all the user requests looking for MORE modern/detailed maps, they implement a scheme with LESS detailed maps? So you'll likely have to buy both _anyway_? Nice. I wonder if this is this just a Canada thing or if it applies to the U.S., too.

And if they do Garmin's trick of charging you extra (almost as much as the purchase price of the s/w anyway) for an unlock code any time you travel outside of your home area, I'm going to be insanely annoyed.

I'd like to find the product managers at both companies that think we want to buy several slightly incompatible products in order to approach reasonable coverage and smack them with my shoe...

Navtech seems to have a godly reputation, however the road coverage lacks a lot in some areas. Points of Interest (I'm not sure if Navtech updates these) is way behind the times. I've seen gas stations that have been out of business for over 10 years and on the database still.

Before you buy, make sure most of the data in your area is accurate.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

Another little tidbit: someone on the Yahoo group noticed DirecRoute up on GPSCity. It's listed at $125 and "Due October".

Of note for those interested are 3 Shockwave-like demos on the page that show a little bit how the software functions on the GPS unit. Looks like it would be nice for urban areas.

I still can't figure out how much information is included in the maps...it apparently comes on two CDs, and the site page proclaims it has "Detailed maps for most cities and towns throughout the U.S."

Max

Observant, Crashmore...Team Cottengim details one package at CostCo in this thread that makes me realize something which may have already been obvious to others.

Already having a GPS, I wasn't looking very closely at the DirectRoute bundling offers. Seeing that both Topo and DirectRoute are offered in the bundle, it becomes clear (finally!) that DirectRoute is not intended to replace Topo or S&D, but rather supplement by giving the autorouting capability. Apparently the NavTech data co-exists with detail MapSend maps.

Urk. I really don't need this, but I'm probably going to get it anyway and my wife is probably going to engage in frank and candid discussions at a high diplomatic level.

Max

I, too, found it interesting that Magellan thinks you need both Topo and Directroute. I'm not sure if it's overkill or if it's a vote of weak confidence. OTOH, it's depressingly consistent with Garmin's position -and remember that the map and routing data comes from Navtech in both cases- that you need two separate packages. (I can't figure out Garmin's scheme, but it looks like for the US they have three street packages and a topo package, each of which gives you a different 40% of what you want.)

I also keep staring at that blue map that has the U.S. busted up into nine pieces and wondering if it's region-locked as I live about 45 minutes from a region boundary.

Yes, it will definitely involve a firmware update, but the maps data will also have to be at least supplemented if not replaced. The Tiger maps that are distilled into Mapsend don't include exit data, info on one-way streets, or speed info, all of which you need for routing.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for reviews on this package. If they managed to avoid land mines of silliness, I'd pay them today but I'm seeing just enough caution in their rollout to make me NOT preorder it...

I think this is new map products, otherwise it would not take two CDs to augument the tigermaps (Navtech in the new maps) in S&D and TOPO.

They may bundle the TOPO maps since this product replaces the old S&D, but not the POIs and elevation data in topo.

And yes a new firmware will be needed to run this software, it will probaly come with the CD like all the other mapsend products.

Wyatt W.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

They may bundle the TOPO maps since this product replaces the old S&D, but not the POIs and elevation data in topo.

Well, according to http://www.magellangps.com/en/news/releases/viewRelease.asp?id=260 it claims to

quote:

e addition of this software enhances versatility of Magellan handhelds like never before, enabling users to access topographic maps, marine charts and street navigation – all on a single Magellan receiver.

and if they provide that topo data by including a copy of Mapsend Topo in the box and flip between them, that's just pretty weird.

Magellan has a page up for this software, it seems you need version 5.0 (it indicates you will eventually be able to download this for free) for this to work in your unit. http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=950

Flipping may seem weird, but then again thats what we have been doing for the last couple of years. And magellan only said that one reciever can access all of that data, not one program will make it all available.

Wyatt W.

"Product should ship by November 8, 2003" according to this page on the Magellan web site. They're offering a price of $149 through the "Magellan Store," as well as an upgrade price for registered owners of MapSend Street or S&D of $99.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

and if they provide that topo data by including a copy of Mapsend Topo in the box and flip between them, that's just pretty weird.

From the site Team CNJC linked to:

quote:
Use DirectRoute™ to help you find your way to your recreation destination, and use other optional MapSend recreation map products such as MapSend Topo to enjoy the outdoors

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

Yeah, I just picked up on that. It looks like we'll get one .img file with DirectRoute information on it, which will allow autorouting, but we'll need to switch to a different .img map to get topo data. Not a big problem with my new 256MB SD card in my MeriGold icon_biggrin.gif, but what about a unit with fixed memory, like the SporTrak series? I'm guessing that the new firmware will allow detail map switching (the current firmware does now, but I haven't figured out how to upload map files with different names).

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...