This is what I'm looking for........

Hello to everyone! I just saw my local news and they had a story about this "Geocaching", wow! My question is: I had a GPS over a year ago and sold it. Now, I am going to buy another one. Which one? This is what I'm looking for , one that I can down load into my computer and see where I've tracked or a topic map with my track over top of it. One that is fairly easy to use, and price is not a concern. I belive the one I had was the GPS IV or III Garmin. I was'nt inpressed with how it worked with the computer, maybe I was'nt using it right??? Thanks for the help and I'll be out there soon...... what is WAAS

Excellent, you have money and aren't afraid to use it. So here are your two choices and I'm biased toward Garmin and you have practice on one anyway.

GPS V and eTrex Vista.

If you are purly going to use it for geocaching hiking etc and don't need door to door directions like you cad do with mapquest.com. Get the Vista. If you do like door to door directions and think you would use it in your car as well as for geocaching and hiking. Get teh GPS V.

They both will handle downloadable maps. They can both upload to the computer. You can dowload your waypoints from software into them. The computer interface really depends on your software. The GPS is basicly a waypoint memory device insofar as the computer is concerend. Good software will make all the difference. And I'm still trying to figure that out myself. I got the GPS V about 6 weeks ago. I like it. A friend who lives in a small town where the routing of V isn't as workable as here where I live got the etrex Vista.

I'd give the ege to the Vista for general hiking. The V for all around performance and pretty dadgum close to the vista for hiking. Bring your own compass though.

I got the V for just the reasons given by the Renegade. I wanted the autorouting and do not hike that much (except when geocaching of course). I can look up a cache on the V screen and let it autoroute me to the nearest point (street) to the cache. It does not always work real well because there may not be any access there, but you get the idea. And I do carry a compass.

Hope this helps.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!"

The Magellan Meridian series is also worth a look. With it, you can expand your memory to 128MB without paying a whole lot. USB programmer is under $20 also.

Here is the best-of-the-best, in no particular order:

--- MAPPING UNITS ___

Garmin GPS V -- 19MB

Garmin eTrex Legend -- 8MB

Garmin eTrex Vista -- 24MB

Magellan MAP-330 -- 8MB

Garmin eMap -- $2.00/MB

Magellan Meridian (basic, gold) -- $1.00/MB

--- NON-MAPPING UNITS ---

Magellan 315 or 320

The GPS V will give you turn-by-turn routing. Otherwise, the units are very comparable. The eMap and Meridian give you unlimited memory by adding memory cards. For large memories, you will need an external programmer, which is cheaper for the Meridian.

As far as non-mapping units goes, the Magellan 315 (with latest firmware) is by far the best. It is about the same price as the eTrex yellow, but gives you the advantage of a city database. The eTrex is smaller and cuter, though.

[This message was edited by harrkev on March 28, 2002 at 12:45 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

As far as non-mapping units goes, the Magellan 315 (with latest firmware) is by far the best. It is about the same price as the eTrex yellow, but gives you the advantage of a city database. The eTrex is smaller and cuter, though.

Don't forget waterproof-er and Garmin-er, which are both good things. icon_cool.gif

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

Don't forget waterproof-er and Garmin-er, which are both good things. icon_cool.gif

rdw