etrex Venture 2.26 locks up when...

Guest dubblbubbl

Guest dubblbubbl

I am running v2.26 on my etrex Venture and have noticed a possible 'bug'. I was wondering if any other Venture users using v2.26 software can reproduce my error. The symptom is the unit locks up with a vertical line on the display, and the only way to reset it is to remove the batteries. This is a non-destructive event, meaning current track/waypoint/route information is not lost.

Here are the steps to try. Please do so at your own risk, in my experience this has not caused any problems at all, other than lock up of the unit. Please read step 8 on how to reset your unit so the bug doesn't keep happening.

1) turn unit on (allow post to run)

2) while acquiring sats, select 'Use with GPS off'.

3) Go to Navigation screen and set one of the programmable data fields to 'Pointer'.

4) Go to Sat screen and choose 'Use with GPS on'

5) Wait on position fix then do a waypoint search and choose 'GoTo'.

6) When the Navigation screen is displayed it shows the 'compass graphic' and then just as it sets the course pointer, it locks up and the screen goes blank with a vertical line running the entire length.

7) To reset, open the battery compartment and pull one of the batteries then put it back in.

8) To clear the problem, turn the unit back on, and choose (use with GPS off) on the Sat screen. Go to the navigation screen and change the field you have set to 'pointer' to something else.

The bug seems to be related to having a programmable field on the navigation screen set to pointer and navigation active (i.e. GoTo waypoint or Route Navigation on).

I have already reported this to Garmin and was instructed to call their 800 service line to arrange possible replacement unit. I hesitate to ship my unit back in until I know for sure it's defective and not a software issue. Please reply to this post with your results of the above tests.

------------------

[This message has been edited by dubblbubbl (edited 31 August 2001).]

Guest RCharlier

I saw the same behavior with the Vista and the 2.18 software release. I had been thinking that my unit was going bad. The strange thing when the unit locked up, I would swear the vertical line was blue! After I pulled the batteries and then turned back on the display had a noticable dark line for quite some time. Eventually it went away. I wonder if we should report this to Garmin?

Guest dubblbubbl

Just upgraded to v2.28. Seems that Garmin did have a bug with the pointer field on the Compass/Navigation screen (see fixed bug list for release 2.28). Thanks for the heads up.

UPDATE: Tested reported problem yesterday when leaving work and the bug is squashed in the current release.

[This message has been edited by dubblbubbl (edited 05 September 2001).]