Need info on using Mapsource b-4 buying III+

Guest sedohr

I'm trying to get more detailed info on Mapsource (Roads & rec) as it relates to the Garmin III+.

I travel alot and want to pick out cache sites for the areas I will be in, plot those on the mapsource R&R while on my PC and then only download the grids closest to the cache site(s) to the III+.

With only 1.44MB of flash memory to deal with in the III+, I figure I gotta be real mizerly on what I pick to load in the unit.

Will this concept work as i described it with Mapsource?

Thanks,

Randy

I know with Ohio and I beleive with all the states the area you select to download are broken in country size areas. I can get 8 counties from north east Ohio loaded into 1.4 MB. Hope this helps

mcb

Yes, Roads & Rec. is divided into regions based on county boundaries (in contrast, MetroGuide uses rectangular regions). Typically the regions are from 50 - 400 kB in size and cover either an entire county or a portion of one (in states with large counties). The 1.4 MB should be enough for geocaching, but is limiting when going on a long trip without access to a laptop.

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

I can get 8 counties from north east Ohio loaded into 1.4 MB. Hope this helps

mcb

OK, this helps, thanks.......so then can I plug a cache coordinate into Mapsource, have it mark the location as a waypoint and then zoom in so I can tell which county or counties I need to download?

Randy

Watch the status line at the bottom of the MapSource screen as you move the cursor. It'll show the lat/long coordinate, so you can easily position the cursor to find the cache location (and mark it as a waypoint if you wish). Then pick the selection tool to highlight the appropriate county and add it to the set of maps to be uploaded.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

Watch the status line at the bottom of the MapSource screen as you move the cursor. It'll show the lat/long coordinate.....

So I assume from the response that Mapsource does not allow you to enter lat/lon coordinates directly into the system and then auto-locate the position?