eTrex Venture

Guest Cold Chuck

Guest Cold Chuck

Any bugs that I should be aware of when using eTrex Venture? Anyone in state of Colorado having problem recieving WAAS?

Thanks a bunch

------------------

Cold Chuck

Guest topografix

No bugs to report with my Venture. The only complaint is you have to hold down the Click Stick for a few seconds to mark a waypoint, which is a pain when you're moving.

WAAS requires you to have line-of-sight to one of the two WAAS satellites currently up. One's over the East coast, and the other's over the West coast. You may be stuck in the middle, out of sight of both.

More sats are planned. Eventually everyone will have WAAS access, but for now it's hit-or-miss depending on where you are.

I get WAAS signals in Boston on a regular basis.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Chuck:

Any bugs that I should be aware of when using eTrex Venture? Anyone in state of Colorado having problem recieving WAAS?

Thanks a bunch

The software is certainly out of date. The latest release for the Venture is 2.24.

You can download the latest version at:

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenture/download.html

It's not necessary to install the interim updates. You can go directly from your current version to 2.24.

As you probably know, that WAAS option ships turned off. You have to activate it before it will work.

Guest Cold Chuck

Thank all for the feedback. I haven't gotten it yet. Its due tomorrow (actually 12 hours from now via UPS). I just wanted to be careful about this new gps. I dont like any "unpleasant" surprises. Its bad enough that I had to deal with MS windows problems. Just thought that anyone who owned this particular model would have something to share with. I was deciding between gps12XL and Venture. What won me over is that Venture has more "bang for a buck" than the former. But I still kept hearing that 12XL is so good that no one wants to retire it anytime soon.

Now the question about WAAS. I understand how WAAS works but since I have not yet gotten this newbefangled gadget, I am wondering if anyone in the state of Colorado had any luck in getting WAAS (perhaps standing on the top of mountain?) Just wondering. Now, in event of not availability, what prodecdure do I have to take to ensure reasonable accuracy of GPS?

Again,THANKS!!

------------------

Cold Chuck

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Cold Chuck:

Any bugs that I should be aware of when using eTrex Venture?

I have problems with mine staying on sometimes for some random reason. It just turns off. :~) And there have also been sometimes when a button stops works and such. I am just guessing that there is a loose wire inside and I just need to call Garmin though.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!