New Utility For Importing .LOC/GPX into Mapsource!

Ok, I really got sick of using EasyGPS as the go-between for Mapsource. I lost the Descriptions and have to use 2 software products to do the same thing.

NOT ANYMORE

I sat down and wrote a utility to convert .LOC (directly from geocaching.com) to a PCX5 format (Garmin Mapsource Importable) .wpt file. It's also command line driven so a change to your file associations and the software will create .wpt files automatically in the directory of your choice.

Software is free, and in beta currently. All comments/welcome.

GPI Utility Site

Enjoy Mapsource Users!

icon_cool.gif

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

I tried GPSBabel and for what it does it's great. It's awesome for bulk processing of waypoint files in any number of formats. What I wanted though was a way to click "OPEN" from the .LOC files and .GPX files and automatically convert them and load them into Mapsource.

This utility when setup with a file association to GPX and LOC files will import automatically right into mapsource the same way you can do it with EASY GPS. The other features on here is that they will combine files togehter when downloading from geocaching.com.

GPSBabel is great for conversions, where as this utility is quick, sweet and painless importing into mapsource.

On a side note, I did not experience and file name limitations when importing PCX into mapsource. I'm running 4.11 and 4.12 of mapsource without that limitation. Perhaps there's and upgrade issue or filesystem issue.

Thanks.

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

I seem to be having a problem here. I downloaded the program with no problem. I downloaded to EasyGPS OK and then I open the GPI and then file -> convert -> pick the correct file (waypoints xxxxxxxxxx) but when I go to import them in Mapsource I get the box that asks me about the waypoints and I pick the one that has the more than 16 waypionts and then nothing shows up on the map. I am using XP. Any thoughts.

icon911.gif

quote:
I seem to be having a problem here. I downloaded the program with no problem. I downloaded to EasyGPS OK and then I open the GPI and then file -> convert -> pick the correct file (waypoints xxxxxxxxxx) but when I go to import them in Mapsource I get the box that asks me about the waypoints and I pick the one that has the more than 16 waypionts and then nothing shows up on the map. I am using XP. Any thoughts.

You should select the "More than 16 waypoints". You should get something or an error. Make sure youre using the latest version of mapsource (downloadable from Garmin) which I believe at the moment is 4.13.

If you send me the .GPX or .LOC file you were using I can take a look at it.

Thanks

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Rob, nice bit of coding. So far it has worked perfectly on my Toshiba laptop running XP Home, and using Mapsource Canada 4.13. Any chance you could add a little code that would automatically focus the map on the first waypoint in the list, or an area that encompasess them all? That would only be what... a few thousand extra lines... icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though, nice little app, and thanks more making available.