Problems with beta 2.09 for Garmin GPS V

quote:
Originally posted by Team Acer:

I just installed 2.09 and now my lakes, parks etc are missing on my GPS.....Team Acer

Is it possible that some of your map settings were changed during the upgrade? I'm thinking "map detail", "land data", "color mode", etc.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:

I looked on the V for the setting Land Detail.... Could not find it.... Can someone point the way?

Thanks,

Team Acer

When in the map page press menu and select "setup map".

Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:

I looked on the V for the setting Land Detail.... Could not find it.... Can someone point the way?

Thanks,

Team Acer

From the map page, press MENU, highlight & select Setup Map, then use the rocker left/right to highlight the tabs...the Land Data setting is under the DISPLAY tab. Many other settings are under different tabs...go digging around for the settings you're looking for.

quote:
Originally posted by SergZak:

quote:

Thanks,

Team Acer

From the map page, press MENU, highlight & select Setup Map, then use the rocker left/right to highlight the tabs...the Land Data setting is under the DISPLAY tab. Many other settings are under different tabs...go digging around for the settings you're looking for.

Well well..... seek and ye shall find. Thanks to youy guys I tried again and this time found the area I needed to change. For some reason the AREA tab had changed the river and parks to OFF. I set them to auto and life is again good.

Thanks,

Jeff of Team Acer

How long does it take you to download Mapsource maps to the GPS? I faintly remember it taking something like 20-30 minutes to download just under 19MB of maps. Since loading the 2.09Beta, it's now taking over an hour!! It's been a while since I've loaded in a map set so I might be wrong. And I'm also not sure that it is the 2.09 version because I'm using a new computer. I was walking out the door when I realized the maps I had in the GPS did not cover where I was planning to go, so now I'm sitting here typing away waiting for the dadgum GPS. 26% complete, 46 mins to go. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

BTW, Metroguide to GPS V 2.09 Beta

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

How long does it take you to download Mapsource maps to the GPS? I faintly remember it taking something like 20-30 minutes to download just under 19MB of maps. Since loading the 2.09Beta, it's now taking over an hour!! It's been a while since I've loaded in a map set so I might be wrong. And I'm also not sure that it is the 2.09 version because I'm using a new computer. I was walking out the door when I realized the maps I had in the GPS did not cover where I was planning to go, so now I'm sitting here typing away waiting for the dadgum GPS. 26% complete, 46 mins to go. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

BTW, Metroguide to GPS V 2.09 Beta

rdw

I am using Mapsource 4.10 with NA City Select 4.01 along with 2.09 beta and have seen NO increase in downloading of map sets.

Team Acer

I noticed two:

- I got extra turn screens when crossing a mpa boundary (e.q. 40 kilomters to the next turn, which is a bit too soon icon_biggrin.gif )

- the ETE and ETA times are only shown when moving, not directly after calculating inhome

- some translations for the VIA thing not yet present

All will be fixed in 2.10 (which I'm currently testing as 2.10beta). And since it is a private beta, it is not available for download (yet?).

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

It appears you may have some influence with Garmin. If so, please try to persuade them to enable waypoint projections in feet/meters. The smallest units currently enabled are 0.1 mi./km., making the feature useless for geocaching.

I wouldn't call it influence... I just report bugs in (beta) firmware to them and then test the improved beta. And I tend to suggest things along the way, and some of the things actually show up (the accuracy field as an example) but where obviously also suggested by others.

And they also ignore things, since they added a new game (and I always comment on the uselessness of games...).

So, please go ahead and mail them yourself at gpsvbeta@garmin.com. icon_biggrin.gif

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Elsinga =8-):

...So, please go ahead and mail them yourself at gpsvbeta@garmin.com. icon_biggrin.gif

I had already written to their tech support and sales addresses before I wrote to you. I just received the following from tech support:

quote:
from Garmin tech support

"You are correct as this is not available with the V. One of the reasons is because the main use of the unit is for driving on a road and projecting your location on the road does not usually need to go below that range. I will definitely pass this along as a user suggestion and hopefully it will be available in a future software udgrade."

I haven't heard from their sales support people yet, but I'll give the beta folks a try. Thanks for the email address.

If others also think this would be a useful feature, you may want to write to Garmin as well.

Worldtraveler

I sent my request to the gpsvbeta@garmin.com address and received the following in reply:

quote:
Thank you for your interest in the GPSV.

You have emailed the GPSV BETA problem report mailbox. Your problem or

comment will be forwarded to Garmin Engineering for review.

PLEASE NOTE:

No responses will be provided from this mailbox to requests for product

information or technical support. If you require product information or

technical support for a NON-BETA product, please go to

Worldtraveler

Don't know if anyone has this problem-when in off road navigation mode, the unit will not zoom closer than 800ft regardless of distance from the target and when a long distance away will not allow zooming to the point where the target is off screen. No difficulty when on road navigation selected. Anyone else find this? I emailed the beta site but maybe mine is a fluke.

quote:
Originally posted by kentsmith:

Don't know if anyone has this problem-when in off road navigation mode, the unit will not zoom closer than 800ft regardless of distance from the target and when a long distance away will not allow zooming to the point where the target is off screen. No difficulty when on road navigation selected. Anyone else find this? I emailed the beta site but maybe mine is a fluke.

Do you have auto zoom or keep target on screen activated. Check your settings.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.

15777_2200.gif

When I hold down the Zoom IN Button, and stop at 100 feet +/-, The GPS will bounce back to 800 feet. This of course is in Off Road mode.

It is strange.

I Can at least zoom down to 100 feet on my Meridian Platinum.

I was able to turn off Auto-Zoom, and it works now.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on January 06, 2003 at 05:14 AM.]