Another quick WAAS test

Once again I walked up to a GPS observed benchmark to test my WAAS signal. The Accuracy Reading was from 7' to 14', the Distance to Destination (the benchmark) was 1.3' to 3.5' and briefly 5'. This was a test of about 5 mins of actual real time (not averaged) readings. When WAAS is good, it is very, very good!

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I took both my GPS V's outside just now.

Both of them have the same Firmware Version, and one of them I have WAAS on. I stood outside holding them about a couple feet apart. The WAAS unit was down to 9 foot accuracy and the other was at 19 feet. The elevation changed alot on the GPS with WAAS off, and the position was bouncing around on the GPS with WAAS on. I was standing by my fence for this test. I may try more test with this setup.

I have 2 GPS Vs, GPS 315, and a Meridian Platinum. Im going to try some tests with these units.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

WAAS out the other day and found that if your 2 test GPSrs are too close together one with one without WASS,the distances and altitudes jump dramaticaly.If you move them farther apart they balance out better.The Reason(Theory Only) the Satts are sending signals to the seperate recievers at the same time ,if the clocks are timed together precisely,this is better,but one second of time equals about 100 feet more or less,so if your clocks are not precisely timed you inherit errors.I am sure some of the scientific minds could explain this phenomena but I think like so many others it has only just begun to be researched.Remember 1/2 the reading is Time,From Greenwhich.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I think the problem with receivers interferring with each other is the same reason many airlines don't want you to use your GPS on their plane. The units leak RF and are basically short range transmitters.

It seems GPS units only leak RF at very short ranges. This is recognised by some airlines allow their uses and is why people have observed units being wildly off while also holding another active unit.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer # 1:

.... (Theory Only) the Satts are sending signals to the seperate recievers at the same time ,if the clocks are timed together precisely,this is better,but one second of time equals about 100 feet more or less,so if your clocks are not precisely timed you inherit errors ....

of course they are timed together (within reason a few nanoseconds or three) as that's what atomic clocks on satellites do, especially the Block IIR's, keep things in time. Receiver clocks do nothing else but tell the time and that's only approx time, within a few seconds.

As for 1 second in GPS terms well that's a bit more than 100 feet, 10 nanoseconds is about 3 metres so 1 second, what's that that's make it, sort of a little more than 100 feet icon_smile.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif