Greenwich Meridian

On a recent holiday in England, I visited Greenwich, the home of longitude. It's an interesting place, and along with the historical exhibits, you can stand on the meridian line, and have your photo taken with one foot in either hemisphere.

I took my GPS along, to watch it zero out, but to my disappointment, when standing on the line, it said 000 deg 0.089 minutes West, or about 70m from the meridian. Is this to do with the datum? I was using WGS84 as usual. I tried a few other datums and the closest I could get was one called "EUR" (presumably european of some sort), which said I was 8m away - within the usual margin for error.

I had presumed that all datums would use the equator and greenwich meridian as an origin, so the line would be the same in all of them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by quasar:

I had presumed that all datums would use the equator and greenwich meridian as an origin, so the line would be the same in all of them. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The equator (as such 0 deg's) is a moving target as far as the datum is concerned. The equator "follows" the datum not the other way round.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by quasar:

The equator (as such 0 deg's) is a moving target as far as the datum is concerned. The equator "follows" the datum not the other way round.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif