WAAS for Finding and Hiding caches

kevin917z

quote:
The way I look at it, it can't hurt

It actually can and does hurt at times. If you are not in a really good spot for reception of the WAAS signals, the effect is negative on the receiver to have it turned on. It slows processor time considerably. I keep mine turned off on my V always!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Team CountryStylin:

I have a Meridian Platinum, and I do not believe the WAAS feature can be turned on or off manually. It is automatic. If the unit is recieving signals from a WAAS satelite, the WAAS is on whether I want it or not.

"Oz nevah did give anything to The Tin man that he didn't ALWAYS have"

It CAN be turned off (see the FAQ at the Magellan Meridian Yahoo group for details), but I believe there is no need to do so.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC005895

I have mine turned on perminatly...I regularly have readings from 10 to 6 ft. of accuracy. though Garmins new software ver.3.40 has sped up processes a bit by properly selecting the appropriate WAAS satellite. computations are still power hungry. But NiMH fixes that prob.

Ive had several caches that when I got there from approching from 2 sides got there had out both arms and said "some where in here".

WAAS is great if you have good reception with them.

Whatever happened to WAAS this summer has given me averages of 3 to 9 feet EPE. Previously 18 to 56 EPE.

I have heard no intelligent or logical reason to not use WAAS. Being a little neurotic about accuracy, I would have taken steps to disable WAAS.(Which is explained as a secret key combo in the Yahoo group) If it were as detrimental as it has been portrayed to be.

Battery life is not a logical argument. Since the batteries should be replaced at two thirds expenditure. To ensure accurate calculations.

CPU slow downs would not be a problem. Since I don't have a useless feature like Auto-Routing, to slow it down.

39197_3500.jpgPOWDER!!!!!!

19490_2600.gifHonored to provide inmate labor for Admin brick manufacture since 2002.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

CPU slow downs would not be a problem. Since I don't have a useless feature like Auto-Routing, to slow it down.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39197_POWDER!!!!!!_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19490_2600.gif _Honored to provide inmate labor for Admin brick manufacture since 2002._

At it again, huh leather? icon_rolleyes.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

quote:
Since I don't have a useless feature like Auto-Routing,

"useless"??? Bit of an abrasive stement there, isn't it? Tell you what...I wouldn't trade my "useless" auotrouting for your compass and altimeter in the etrex....That's for sure!

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Alphawolf:

"useless"??? Bit of an abrasive stement there, isn't it? Tell you what...I wouldn't trade my "useless" auotrouting for your compass and altimeter in the etrex....That's for sure!

Abrasive? Only under the pretence that everyone shares your opinion.

Explain to me why I can't express my opinion. Without being singled out and attacked be the GPS V zealots.

All the superfluous features are unnecessary. The e-compasses altimeters barometers. I just bought a Rino with a transmit your coords gimmick. Equally unnecessary, even though it sold me.

What effect were you looking for by scorning my compass and barometer? Trying to hurt my feelings? Are you five years old?

Since we're not communists, I'll share my opinion and you share yours.

39197_3500.jpgPOWDER!!!!!!

19490_2600.gifHonored to provide inmate labor for Admin brick manufacture since 2002.