Which unit? Garmin or Megellan?

I currently have a Garmin ETrex GPS Unit

I want one of these:

Magellan Meridian Platinum

Magellan SporTrac Pro

Garmin eTrex Legend

Or something in the price range of under $250... all these units are selling pretty cheap on EBay.com

Garmin eTrex Legend

I have used one of these before but there is a delay. I do not like this. I liked all of the features it has and ease of use because it is much like my ETrex. But I hate having to wait 2 seconds for the GPS to respond when I push a button.

Does anyone have or have used the Magellan Meridian Platinum or the Magellan SporTrac Pro that can provide me some feedback on the units? I am wanting to buy one of these in the near future but I have lack of knowledge on the functionality and ease of use of Magellan products.

Or, any other suggestions?

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

quote:
Originally posted by AaronSquire:

I want one of these:

Magellan SporTrac Pro

Garmin eTrex Legend

Or something in the price range of under $250... all these units are selling pretty cheap on EBay.com

_Garmin eTrex Legend_

I have used one of these before but there is a delay. I do not like this. I liked all of the features it has and ease of use because it is much like my ETrex. But I hate having to wait 2 seconds for the GPS to respond when I push a button.

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

I have the Legend and I do not have a delay problem, maybe there was something wrong with that one or maybe there is a delay setting in the options menu. But the default setting is not having a delay that I know of.

I have an estrex Vista, which is basically a beefed up Legend. I have no delay either. Depending on what you are doing, it will take a second or two to redraw the map. But as far as whiching pages and things like that mine does not delay.

I for one really like Garmin products better, and I hear Garmins mapping software is much more accurate.

quote:

I want one of these:

Magellan SporTrac Pro

Garmin eTrex Legend

_Garmin eTrex Legend_

Does anyone have or have used the Magellan Meridian Platinum or the Magellan SporTrac Pro that can provide me some feedback on the units? I am wanting to buy one of these in the near future but I have lack of knowledge on the functionality and ease of use of Magellan products.

Or, any other suggestions?

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

I have used the e-Trex, the Legand Sport trac map. Sport trac map pro and the Meridian Platinum and Gold. I own a Meridian Gold, I do not need the altimeter and compass, I have a Sunnto watch with that. I favor the Magellan unitse over the Garmin, reasons:

Magellan topo software includes all street names, Garmin does not offer street names with their topo software.

Magellan GPS will display terrain projection, Garmin will not.

Meridian gold has expandable memory, Garmin models do not.

Magellan models have instructions built into the GPS, Garmin models do not.

Magellan is offer Rebates on all models that display a map, Garmin is offering rebates on Legend and Vista.

Magellan is offering rebates on software, Garminis not.

If your are on a budget, get the Magellan sprot trac map with software. WIth rebates you are looking at around $225.00, quite a deal for a GPS and software. icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gif

One thing that is interesting, is that in the winter time in Michigan, the Garmins work better than the Magellans. My Meridian does not work as well as the GPS V in cold weather. The Meridians would work better in warmer weather. So dont leave a Magellan in a Cold car to long, but if you do, you would have to warm it up for a few minutes before using. When the Temperature got down into the 20s F, my Meridian screen would be just about blank, until it warmed up, it also could not recieve sats until then either.

Would be interesting if somebody invented a GPS Glove that you slip the GPS into, and your hand. Your fingers would be behind and touching the gps, and your thumb would be over the buttons. This would keep warmth in the gps.

icon_smile.gifI like the Magellan Meridian Series. I have a platinum and really like it. I have had a garmin etrex, a magellan 310, a lowrance globalmap 100, a magellan meridian green and the platinum. I almost got a sportrak but i heard they are having a problem with the casing cracking. Plus the expandable memory, the electronic compass and the barometer on the platinum are fun.

The Legend was not mine, it was a friend of mine and it was plugged into his truck so was not the batteries, it was also a fairly warm day, The delay was not large amount, but much slower then my ETrex. The map was even slower. I am not much worried about the map, I know it will have a delay.

I appreciate all the comments, The megallan not working in the cold worries me, I live in WV and gets pretty cold here at times and I am always outdoors. icon_smile.gif

But I think I am still leaning more towards it.

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

Aaron !

Where in WV? I live in Fairmont !,,, Is it just me,,, or there not near enough caches around here? LOL

I am planning on hidding a few caches soon, so that might help,,, doesnt help me much though,,lol,,, no fun finding my own. Have you hid any?

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

Aaron !

Where in WV? I live in Fairmont !,,, Is it just me,,, or there not near enough caches around here? LOL

I am planning on hidding a few caches soon, so that might help,,, doesnt help me much though,,lol,,, no fun finding my own. Have you hid any?

Last year when I started there was 5 caches in a 25 mile radius of my town, today there is 22 but 8 of them are mine. That still means others have added the rest. I guess my point is to hide some caches and as others find them, they also get others (friends, ect) interested and then some of them will hide some and before long there will be alot in the area. This isn't something that will happen overnight, it may take a year or more so be patient and help get others interested. In the mean time you may need to travel to find caches.

Yea i know what you mean rayt333. I have started with the closest ones am I am working my way out icon_smile.gif. 2 of the 3 I have found have been in really cool, and pretty areas. I plan on hidding some in very scenic places, most of mine will be hard to get to though. icon_wink.gif

I have an Etrex and got a Magellan Platinum a few weeks ago and I love it.

You can stand still under tree cover and the compass screen will point to your waypoint ( or cache ). The buttons work easy...you can enter coordinates while driving in traffic. $200 after $50 rebate. The Mapsend software was $40 after $25 rebate and a 256MG SD Sandisk chip was only $65.

I live near Summersville, I work in Lansing near Fayetteville, New River Gorge is my office basically... icon_smile.gif

Right now I am attending school in Montgomery so I am here there and everywhere. Travel to Elkins and Lewisburg alot caving. icon_smile.gif

So, depends on what day of the week it is, where I live.

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

Aaronsquire... You may want to wait until the new SporTrak Color comes out in June. It doesn't have card expandibility, but it has a high-resolution daylight-viewable transreflective screen that is brighter and actually viewable in direct sunlight, unlike the Meridian Color.

It also comes with the 3-axis compass and barometer. If the Meridian Platinum had these things, it'd be the perfect gps as far as I'm concerned.

I have a MAP 330 and love the thing! The terrain projection and horizontal profile (when using topo maps) are great tools to see the relative lay of the land. :-).

Well, I hope you enjoy whatever GPS you want! When you get one, get out, have fun, and Geocache! Oh yes...Take a Friend! icon_smile.gif

Warm regards,

Firefishe

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Firefishe:

<snip>..screen that is brighter and actually viewable in direct sunlight, unlike the Meridian Color.<snip>

Actually the Meridian Color screen is highly visible in direct sunlight. Anything less than that, and you need the backlight.

Like computers, GPSrs will constantly get better and have more features. The longer you wait to buy, the more stuff you'll get. on the other hand, the longer you wait to buy, the longer you'll be without any GPS.

Get a Garmin or Magellan that suits your needs now. Have fun, now.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I was prouldy "sucked into the marketing" and got myself the same rino 120 you see above and havent regretted it yet. Even if you arent into the radio features of this unit it is still a valuable safety feature with access to HAM radio users! As far as the GPS goes, its features and accuracy have been excellent so far. I guess Garmin is laughing all the way to the bank at my expense.

quote:
Originally posted by rayt333:

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

Aaron !

Last year when I started there was 5 caches in a 25 mile radius of my town, today there is 22 but 8 of them are mine. That still means others have added the rest. I guess my point is to hide some caches and as others find them, they also get others (friends, ect) interested and then some of them will hide some and before long there will be alot in the area. This isn't something that will happen overnight, it may take a year or more so be patient and help get others interested. In the mean time you may need to travel to find caches.

Good advice, I my area we have quite a large number of caches. I do not have an exact number, as I have not found them all. I would guess I have close two 200 within a 25 mile radious, more than likely, more than that. I keep finding places to hide new caches shile I look for them, I have hidden 21 in just 3 months. I even keep some in by day pack just in case. I keep trying to stop hidding caches but I have not been able to. icon_biggrin.gif

Johnnyvegas, I hope that you recheck these caches often, that is an awful lot of caches to maintain.

Bad caches can lead to unhappy cachers...

I'm new to caching, but I would not be a happy cacher to find a bad cache and/or one that has no significant scenery or search value. There is more than just finding a container or a prize. Or is it all about the numbers to you?

My first cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=65836

All about fun, games, scenery, beauty, wildlife, and some nice prizes!

Happy Caching!

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

quote:

Johnnyvegas, I hope that you recheck these caches often, that is an awful lot of caches to maintain.

Bad caches can lead to unhappy cachers...

I'm new to caching, but I would not be a happy cacher to find a bad cache and/or one that has no significant scenery or search value. There is more than just finding a container or a prize. Or is it all about the numbers to you?

My first cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=65836

All about fun, games, scenery, beauty, wildlife, and some nice prizes!

Happy Caching!

Aaron

_-Squire-_ Creations

These caches are all close to areas that I spend lots of time in. Most are just a few mioles from my home or my girl freinds home. Some I can almost park next to or very close two.

It is not about numbers, we have lots of nice places in N. Ca. Lots of great parks ect.

quote:
Originally posted by The McFlurrys:

I was prouldy "sucked into the marketing" and got myself the same rino 120 you see above and havent regretted it yet. Even if you arent into the radio features of this unit it is still a valuable safety feature with access to HAM radio users!

Well, I hate to be the ham to point this out, but the FRS and GMRS frequencies are as different from HAM frequencies as a Chevy is different from a Mercedes. They are both cars, they both burn gasolene. They are both radios, they both work at UHF. Beyond that, they are very different.

And to state the obvious, modifying any FRS or GMRS radio is illegal. Also, transmitting on ham frequencies without proper license or authorization is also illegal. That said, many do it, and many get turned in.

These days they are giving away ham licenses. Anyone can get one, just memorize a few questions and answers.

On the Garmin-Magellan debate.... I almost replaced my E-Trex Venture with a Sport-Track Pro for Christmas. But I waited. Then I learned that Magellan is owned by a French company. That may not matter to some. But it does for me, my son (Army_Scout) is in Iraq. You're dadgum skippy it matters to me.

Army_Scout hopes the cache in Iraq is re-enabled before he leaves.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:my Meridian screen would be just about blank, until it warmed up, it also could not recieve sats until then either..

If the screen is blank, how do you know the status of the satellites? icon_biggrin.gif

I have not used a Garmin, but I am happy with both of my Magellans (Green and ST Pro).

The accuracy of the maps is area dependent. It has been reported here many times that the Magellan and Garmin maps BOTH leave a lot (a lot is two words, not one) to be desired.

don

Desert_Warrior

quote:
And to state the obvious, modifying any FRS or GMRS radio is illegal. Also, transmitting on ham frequencies without proper license or authorization is also illegal. That said, many do it, and many get turned in.

OK, HAM and GRMS are different, but it makes for a valuable safety option either way. As far as the legality goes, if I were hurt or stranded and needed to reach someone, I would'nt worry too much about the Big Brother of communications and their license laws.

quote:
Originally posted by The McFlurrys:

OK, HAM and GRMS are different, but it makes for a valuable safety option either way. As far as the legality goes, if I were hurt or stranded and needed to reach someone, I would'nt worry too much about the Big Brother of communications and their license laws.

This is true, but you missed the other point. The FRS radio IS NOT on ham frequencies, nor is it easily modifiable to do so, and doing so is illegal in any case unless you are a licensed ham. In the unlikely event you were caught with it, it would be confiscated. If you were caught using it, you could be fined or arrested. Emergency or not. Kinda like speeding to get to the hospital. In an emergency you do it anyway and consequences be damned.

Modern FCC type acceptance (since the cell phone laws) include firmware functions specifically designed to keep radios from being modified for other uses. Try to buy a scanner and modify it to receive cell phones!

Sure, you can transmit anywhere in an emergency. I can take an ignition coil and a length of wire and make a radio to send SOS in morse code too. But can YOU do the changes in your radio to make it a ham radio? If you can, then why not just get a ham license and carry a fully functional ham radio, access repeaters and auto-patch features (remote-control phone connection), and skip the FRS limits. If you can't then it doesn't matter anyway.

BTW, shifting the tuned circuits of your FRS radio to ham frequencies would most likely detune it to the point where it would no longer work on FRS frequencies. You might get the circuits to span 10 MHz, if they are good. I am betting they are too cheap! The span between ham and frs is about 20 MHz. Sort of defeates the purpose, doesn't it?

All that said, you go ahead and do as you wish. Shoot, you might just stumble on something new and will win a Nobel or something. There are always new inventions out there. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I just used my Pro for the first time today, and it was fantastic. Previously used e-trex, and this Pro makes it look like a kindergarten toy! In the woods all day and it locked on with no problem. It was locking on in places that my e-trex had shut down. Once I got to a location WAAS would zero in on the cache co-ordinates.