GPS V + laptop: 1 or 2 cables needed in a car?

The GPS V ships with both a pc interface cable and a 12v adaptor cable. I've read that some units require a combination cable if you're gonna use both at the same time.

If I purchase a GPS V and want to connect it to a laptop in my car, can I use the two cables that the unit ships with (along with the laptop's own 12v adaptor) or will I have to buy the additional pc/power combination cable that garmin sells?

Thanks,

Eric

No, you cannot use both the pc cable and 12v cable (as supplied) at the same time.

Yes, if you want to use 12V auto power at the same time as the pc connection you'll have to have a "combo" cable that does both.

OR, you can think good rechargeables.... I opted to get some good rechargeables (& a 12V capable charger) from Thomas Distributing. This helped to minimize the expense of the cable and clutter of extra wires. If I were to use the laptop "a lot", which I don't, I may have gone with the cable, but in the end I decided to try life without it and have had no problems.

Also, there appears to be some good aftermarket cables out there such as gpsgeeks on ebay.

Good Luck... icon_cool.gif

No, you cannot use both the pc cable and 12v cable (as supplied) at the same time.

Yes, if you want to use 12V auto power at the same time as the pc connection you'll have to have a "combo" cable that does both.

OR, you can think good rechargeables.... I opted to get some good rechargeables (& a 12V capable charger) from Thomas Distributing. This helped to minimize the expense of the cable and clutter of extra wires. If I were to use the laptop "a lot", which I don't, I may have gone with the cable, but in the end I decided to try life without it and have had no problems.

Also, there appears to be some good aftermarket cables out there such as gpsgeeks on ebay.

Good Luck... icon_cool.gif

With my G3+ I just use the pc cable to the laptop and let the batteries supply the power for GPSr. I installed a 12v-110 inverter to power the laptop. If I were to run this setup for extended periods of time (ie over 8 hours or so) I would probably opt for the combo cable.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif