Software version 2.29C for Garmin Vista

BassoonPilot

I hadn't looked that carefully, but just resetting the trip computer, and selecting total time, moving time and stopped time in some data fileds, it does just what one could expect, when standing still. Total time and stopped time ticks at the same rate, while moving time says zero. Moving it a little, and I did get some moving time too. Moving time+stopped time=total time.

What else could there be?

Are you checking without a satellite lock? Because then they do not run at all? At least not when you turn GPS off manually.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Are you checking without a satellite lock? Because then they do not run at all? At least not when you turn GPS off manually.

Anders

No, I did three hikes covering several miles ... much of it covering high, open terrain. The navigation functions worked as expected, and on the "Trip Computer" screen, the odometer continued to function, but the clocks did not.

Weird that nobody else has experienced this. I dropped Garmin a line over the weekend; perhaps they will contact me if they have received any similar reports.

I just restarted the GPS in my Vista. As soon as the speed changed from __._ to 0.0 km/h, i.e. it got a new sat lock, the timers started ticking again. Well, it did display a speed for a few seconds, when it was finding its position, but now it's indicating a steady state again.

But I'm not navigating to any particular point, just letting it track current position.

Has nothing to do with track logging beeing off (not that it should, but anyway) or something else?

Or could it be that you are in a time warped zone of some kind? icon_confused.gif

Anders

I just restarted the GPS in my Vista. As soon as the speed changed from __._ to 0.0 km/h, i.e. it got a new sat lock, the timers started ticking again. Well, it did display a speed for a few seconds, when it was finding its position, but now it's indicating a steady state again.

But I'm not navigating to any particular point, just letting it track current position.

Has nothing to do with track logging beeing off (not that it should, but anyway) or something else?

Or could it be that you are in a time warped zone of some kind? icon_confused.gif

Anders

quote:

Anders

I'm going to download a new copy of the 2.29c software from the Garmin site and give it another go ... perhaps something got corrupted in the download.

But Anders, I didn't know you were a fan of "The Rocky Horror Show!" icon_wink.gif

quote:

Anders

I'm going to download a new copy of the 2.29c software from the Garmin site and give it another go ... perhaps something got corrupted in the download.

But Anders, I didn't know you were a fan of "The Rocky Horror Show!" icon_wink.gif

I downloaded a "fresh copy" of 2.29C from the Garmin site and installed it ... this time the clocks worked a little ... the display indicated hours and minutes, but was clicking off about 2 hours per second. After a minute or two, the clocks stopped functioning. (All other functions continued to operate normally.)

I then reset the trip computer and tried again: Same results.

Reset it again, went outside and started walking at a brisk pace: Same results.

Reverted to version 2.28, ran the same tests, and the clocks (and everything else) worked correctly. I give up.

I'll wait for the next "finished" version of software to come out.

quote:
Originally posted by pdumas:

Just talk to Garmin about this latest beta version and beta means it's in testing and you use it at your own risk. If you are having problems with it contact them so they can get the bugs out.

Thank you, I'm quite aware of what Beta software is and what using Beta software entails. I've also sent Garmin two detailed reports.

As far as I can tell, Garmin doesn't release to the public information concerning software issues that have been reported to them (nor would I expect them to), so forums like this present an opportunity to discuss such issues with others who also have experience with the product.

What was your experience with the 2.29c software, pdumas?

Although the question wasn't directed to me, I'll answer anyway. I just can't keep my mouth shut, can I? icon_biggrin.gif

I consider 2.29 better than 2.28. Nevertheless, I've sent 39 mails to Garmin (they are really fed up with me right now icon_razz.gif ) reporting various bugs and translation errors in these two beta versions, that has been released. Some of these mails did concern the same thing, though, since they came back with further questions.

Yesterday, I found two more translation errors, so off we go again!

But, once again, 2.29 is better than 2.28.

Anders

Although the question wasn't directed to me, I'll answer anyway. I just can't keep my mouth shut, can I? icon_biggrin.gif

I consider 2.29 better than 2.28. Nevertheless, I've sent 39 mails to Garmin (they are really fed up with me right now icon_razz.gif ) reporting various bugs and translation errors in these two beta versions, that has been released. Some of these mails did concern the same thing, though, since they came back with further questions.

Yesterday, I found two more translation errors, so off we go again!

But, once again, 2.29 is better than 2.28.

Anders

quote:

I consider 2.29 better than 2.28.

Well, they'll get the bugs out eventually! icon_wink.gif

I experienced no problems using the 2.29B beta version of the software; that's why I was so surprised to experience such a major issue in 2.29C, an upgrade that from the description appeared to be only minor housekeeping.

quote:

I consider 2.29 better than 2.28.

Well, they'll get the bugs out eventually! icon_wink.gif

I experienced no problems using the 2.29B beta version of the software; that's why I was so surprised to experience such a major issue in 2.29C, an upgrade that from the description appeared to be only minor housekeeping.

One could imagine that the net effect of the update would be the same to all units, but obviously not. Since I first read this thread, and checked my timers, the total time timer has been running for 34 hours 32 minutes now. That equals time moving+time stopped, so it makes sense.

There has been updates before, that worked only when you updated from another particular release, but I updated from 2.29b, which I assume you did too, so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Anders