??? Magellan Map 330

You can find the undocumented waas disablement key sequence in the m330 group on yahoo. (I would give you a URL, but it's dead-like right now. Search the archives if you can't find it int he files section.)

I average about 9 hours pf runtime (without backlite) on my Mag 330 with Ray O Vac NIMH 1600's. If you're getting one hour, you have something wrong. Could be your batteries, could be your GPSr, and it could even be your power cable if you have one of the defective ones.

It's all covered in the Magellan 330 group...

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

You can find the undocumented waas disablement key sequence in the m330 group on yahoo. (I would give you a URL, but it's dead-like right now. Search the archives if you can't find it int he files section.)

It's all covered in the Magellan 330 group...

Ummm, Uhhhh, wellll. I checked it out. However the way they described it they said it could turn my GPS into junk. Does anyone know a less destructive way to disable waas?

Thanks,

John

If you're looking for a documented, officially supported Magellan way to do it, I don't think there is one.

If you're willing to slog around in the officially undocumented, unsupported support menu to turn if off and on, there it is. Yes, the menu lets you do potentially dumb things and there are appropriate warnings. So just don't push buttons other than the ones that do what you want to do. :-)

Just out of curosity.... why would you want to disable WAAS....

1.Make geocaching a whole lot more challenging.

2. Selling your unit to a tarrorist and want it to be less effective.

3. H ate those crazy land based references

4. Prove that it can be done.

5. __________ fill in the blank.

Fellow 330 owner....

Mark Robb

spelling incorrect to allow it to be included

quote:
Originally posted by MarkRobb:

Just out of curosity.... why would you want to disable WAAS....

1.Make geocaching a whole lot more challenging.

2. Selling your unit to a tarrorist and want it to be less effective.

3. H ate those crazy land based references

4. Prove that it can be done.

5. __________ fill in the blank.

Fellow 330 owner....

Mark Robb

spelling incorrect to allow it to be included

I want to disable WAAS because my batteries are dying waaaayyyy tooooo fassssttt. I believe I've read before that WAAS will eat your batteries a lot faster than without it. I bought the unit off of eBay and it came with no manual. I tried downloading the manual from the Maggelan web site, but it's not working. I was able to look at other manuals, just not the one for the 330.

John

I bought my MAP330 at a pawn shop. It was a 1999 model. It didn't support WAAS.

The Magellen web site for the MAP330 made it sound like the hardware was the same, and you could update the firmware to support WAAS.

From what I understand WAAS is just a code sent to a couple of sattalites from ground based stations. Then the code is retransmitted to you on the ground.

If WAAS support is just firmware I don't see how it can use more battery power.

icon_confused.gif

Preperation the first law to survival.

pulse_b.jpg

I bought my MAP330 at a pawn shop. It was a 1999 model. It didn't support WAAS.

The Magellen web site for the MAP330 made it sound like the hardware was the same, and you could update the firmware to support WAAS.

From what I understand WAAS is just a code sent to a couple of sattalites from ground based stations. Then the code is retransmitted to you on the ground.

If WAAS support is just firmware I don't see how it can use more battery power.

icon_confused.gif

Preperation the first law to survival.

pulse_b.jpg